The Martian Space Suit

Just curious, of what use would a terran-synchronized watch be? Wouldn't it be more useful to have a watch that kept track of Sols, and such?

I think it would be more useful to be synced with Earth, as that's what the Hermes crew as well as all of NASA are using. If nothing else, so he can go "oh hey, it's Christmas today."

If I was on Mars, I would want to know what earth time was so I could think of when a possible re supply or communication could arrive.

Good argument. Maybe a dual time watch that shows both? Seems like Watney's survival depends on knowing Sols and local "date", although no one in mission planning could anticipate the level of survival he endures.

I found a really nice reference photo on mattdamonfan.net showing a bit of the inside of the helmet.

total-film-summer-2015-002.jpg

Also, green dots holding on the visor?

Edit:
Also notice the LED strip on the inside. Good reference for size :D

Last edited:
Double post.

Edit:
Guess I'll use this post for something.
From the book I got the impression that that the logs automatically recorded what the current sol was.

Last edited:
Also, green dots holding on the visor?

Those are for CG effects. The green markers create an easy placement for CGI elements into a scene. They could be using this for the glass visor parts for the entire film or for specific "stunts" or shots that require movement that may otherwise break or damage the glass or hurt the actor.

Hey Andreas Persson, from that photo you posted it appears as though the snake eye screws on most of the armor pieces are molded and part of the casting, maybe it would be more cost effective (maybe) to just cast up a bunch of screw heads for the non-structural uses and limit the real thing to when they are needed for actually holding stuff together. I think if your suit is appropriately weathered it would be nearly impossible to tell the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip, James1214. I've been thinking about the relation between the suit and the plates and it has crossed my mind that there has to be a way they're connected securely to the neoprene suit. I believe they use threaded metal sheets underneath the neoprene to anchor the plates with the security screws just like they might have done with the valves but that's just a wild guess. It would be more practical to do repairs of the dry-suit that way if you need to.

- - - Updated - - -

MoviesColin, it's also a great way to hold the visor so that in case of an emergency it's easy to remove. Safety first :D

Last edited:
It's a pretty neat site actually. You get credits for uploading stuff. It encourages people to share their photo collections. Some great stuff on there that I haven't encountered elsewhere with certain films.

Keep an eye on The Martian and Under Armour's twitter accounts. While checking my Twitter this morning, the movie twitter account posted a pic of what looked like Watney in silhouette in a Martian sunset with Coming Soon and the Under Arnour logo under it. But when I went to open the picture they had already deleted the tweet and the pic wouldn't load. I'm not sure it it was just a sponsored ad for the movie or if Under Armour is doing some sort of Martian line like they did with Marvel

Looks like some sort of behind the scenes workout / training stuff. Not sure it will be in the movie, but definitely interesting.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back