The Martian Space Suit

I would definitely be interested in printing one out. I only have goofy green-yellow color changing filament but I wouldn't mind printing. I beleive I'd have access to someones iPhone 5 to test the fit but I may tweak the scale to fit my Galaxy S3

Received my order from AustriAlpin. A couple gliders aren't shown but here are my thoughts. You can successfully order the compact female adjustment buckle. Their powder coated 28mm buckle isn't right. The powder coating isn't close to the anodizing and the buckle itself isn't right. Otherwise I'm extremely happy with this order. Looks like I'll be ordering one of those dog collars.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444519563.675819.jpg

Because more is better!

Made it over the the ArcLight for the EVA suit display. Also swung by to do a proper photo set of the EMU suit, but they had already swapped out the exhibit! I've uploaded my original iPhone set of the EMU suit and my EVA suit from today to my Flickr, also some shots of the real deal, a Sokol suit used for ISS crews.

I used a polarizing filter, which was great for some angles, not as effective for others.

Surface Suit:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jdecker/albums/72157659290766588

EMU Suit:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jdecker/albums/72157659702027355

Soyuz Sokol Suit:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jdecker/albums/72157659699735831

Because more is better!

Made it over the the ArcLight for the EVA suit display. Also swung by to do a proper photo set of the EMU suit, but they had already swapped out the exhibit! I've uploaded my original iPhone set of the EMU suit and my EVA suit from today to my Flickr, also some shots of the real deal, a Sokol suit used for ISS crews.

Gahhh! Thanks for saving me a wasted trip. I was thinking I'd go tomorrow (Sunday) to get a bunch of detail shots of the MAV EVA suit. I wonder if it might be at a different theater, or if they figure the interest in a movie only lasts for a week before the next one comes along.

I have a whole lot of photos of an SR-71 suit that NASA Armstrong Flight Research Center had on display at an airshow last year, but I have to find my photos on one of my external drives and I keep getting distracted by other photos that I run across.

The Soyuz suit photos posted by jontom reminded me that I had taken a bunch of Apollo (99 photos), Gemini (18 photos), and Shuttle (7 photos) suit photos at the Thomas Stafford Air and Space Museum in Weatherford, Oklahoma last December. They are linked here as well even though they are not directly related to The Martian suit, I figure y'all might be somewhat interested.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136848099@N03/albums/72157659714351811

Getting a 404 on that link Thomas! :wacko

Roughneckone :cool

Oops. Sorry I forgot flickr sets photos to private by default. One of the downsides to posting at 2:30 AM from a site that is still new to me. Should work now.

Got some new filaments this weekend to use on some of these parts when they come out. Got some orange, white and grey to test printing with. Did an orange test so far. Came out a bit lighter than I hoped, but its a workable base for the parts. I know its not really on topic, but wanted to show it off anyways so here is a random orange low poly fox:
fox.png

Just watched the movie--

I will be honest, this is a project that is out of reach for my ability right now. The suit is simply amazing. Buuuut I will still follow the party.

Side note: does anyone have any experience with Annin or know if it is possible to acquire the Annin's version of the NASA flag (the one used in the film and AFAIK NASA's official contractor)?

Got some new filaments this weekend to use on some of these parts when they come out. Got some orange, white and grey to test printing with. Did an orange test so far. Came out a bit lighter than I hoped, but its a workable base for the parts. I know its not really on topic, but wanted to show it off anyways so here is a random orange low poly fox:
View attachment 539675

Nice print! What brand did you get? I always jump around different brands and really need to stick to one solid manufacturer.

Martian Wrist Comp V1 STL's are finished. Will try and get it printed out this week.

Shot the files over to Na16Patman as well. So well see if we can get repeatable results.

Martian_3D_print.jpg

Edit: I've been so far zoomed into this. The size of the slider buttons are really throwing me off. A bit smaller than I was expecting.
Because of this certain FDM printers are going to have a hard time getting the details necessary for this. I'm guessing that these slots were added in after the print. My guess is they are hand laid polystyrene. Because they are tiny.

Slots.jpg

Last edited:
Nice print! What brand did you get? I always jump around different brands and really need to stick to one solid manufacturer.

I live near a MicroCenter so I end up getting inland brand, since I can go and dig through what they have in person. Its quite cheap for a kilo, orange and white were $20 and grey was $15, and does pretty well. They have MakerBot and a few others but they are over double the cost. Needs a few tweaks between the green I was using and this orange, but obviously not too many since that print was achieved fairly quickly.

Martian Wrist Comp V1 STL's are finished. Will try and get it printed out this week.

Shot the files over to Na16Patman as well. So well see if we can get repeatable results.
I would love a go at this print as well, if you don't mind sharing with more. I can wait if you want though.

Here is the final Helmet, I will be adding detail from the great close-up reference photos. As you can see once I was given the correct dimensions everything fell into place. I want to thank FBFX for their input and support although they couldn't provide me with drawings with dimensions on them, what they gave me was enough to get me 90% there. It's as good as I can get it without having a production helmet to measure off of.
Man-N-Helmet.JPGMan-N-Helmet-2.JPGMan-N-Helmet-3.JPGMan-N-Helmet-4.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back