The Mandalorian 3D Print

patrickivan

Sr Member
I feel a little reluctant to post this. I've tried printing a few 3d prints of Star Wars items I like, but this is by far the largest and second most complex. The first being an in process Clone Trooper Helmet. I'm still pretty new at this.

Anyway, Im 3D printing The Mandalorian helmet. From a file by robpauza downloaded @MyMiniFactory. Printed in PLA. CA and epoxy bonding. Fiberglass reinforced inside. Bondo, sand, filler primer, sand, bondo, et c. You know the routine.

Here's where I'm at so far. I've been waiting to share, but can't anymore LOL.

1584970480881.png

1584970489256.png
1584970506784.png

1584970514988.png
1584970529861.png

1584970536374.png

I've done some more filling and sanding and painting since that last photo. There's some detail's I'm trying to work out, like scribing some lines cleanly along the crest of the helmet.

I have the visor on it's way. And I am planning on using soccer padded head protection as an interior padding to secure to my head to keep it from bobbing around. Those are only $15 to $30 on amazon (in Canada).

One issue I had is getting the pieces to align perfectly when gluing. And a lesson learned, is to ALWAYS orientate mirrored pieces the same way, or risk slight issues in fitting them together AND use the same PLA brand if you run out... I've noticed differences between the two brands of white I've used in this build.

Just a little update. Been sanding, and filling and sanding... Frustrated with losing some details and then trying to reapply them. And not sure how to scribe the lines back into the crest on the helmet before I continue.

Suggestions are welcome.

Anyway, I've stopped with the filler and filler primer, and moved on the getting some base coats of paint on. Building up some black and it's not supposed to be gloss, but it's looking like it from the lighting.

1585566271976.png

Looking good! To get those details back in, you might try a very fine rasp or file, or a thin straightedge wrapped with a low-ish grip of sandpaper.

Looking good! To get those details back in, you might try a very fine rasp or file, or a thin straightedge wrapped with a low-ish grip of sandpaper.

Thanks- I had thought about putting pin stripe tape down, and apply the top paint coat, but I think the paint will peel with how deep I want the grooves.

Just not sure I'm skilled enough to freehand your suggestion.

How are you finishing it? Are you spraying it silver, or doing the 'ole graphite rub?

SB

It was auto filler primer, black semi gloss, and metal spray. I still have to give this a light sanding it get some foreign material off during spray. And hopefully the taped details will come off when it's time.

1585672072076.png

Some metallic oil rubbed bronze to build up a base, and hopefully give some depth when I put on another light coat of the metal.

I really like this colour. It'll be hard to paint over it. I'm thinking of doing another with it, and some steel.

1585753882171.png

Put the metallic coat on. Just have to remove the tape and maybe another light one.

I may get a metal rub to give it a little more depth. It's just I'm trying to keep it under budget.

So far it's been about $15 in PLA, $20 in paint, $20 in adhesives and Bondo, $15 for the visor, and maybe another $15 for the padding I want. Under $100 CDN isn't horrible? Technically it's another $15 or so for the resin and fiberglass on the interiour, but I had that sitting around for couple of years anyway.

I'm pleased so far with how this is turning out for my first attempt at a project like this. I understand it's not screen accurate.

1585759991589.png

1585760001508.png

Last edited:
I’ve read both your threads about your mando helm build. Thanks for posting so much detailed info.
Would you mind sharing the links to both the soccer padding and what T-visor film you used?

thanks so much!

I’ve read both your threads about your mando helm build. Thanks for posting so much detailed info.
Would you mind sharing the links to both the soccer padding and what T-visor film you used?

thanks so much!

Hi- will do. Sorry, I'm not getting notifications for any of my threads. Weird. But ya, I'll post the links shortly.

thanks so much!

The visor and padding from Amazon is:

S35120 Replacement Shade 3 IR Visor for 390 Series - Uncoated​

Tickas Adjustable Goalkeeper Helmet Sports Football Soccer Rugby Goalie Helmet Head Guard Hat Head Protector​

The padding needs to be modified. The ears need to be cut out for, ya know, hearing. Also the odd hole for heat venting. And I am astonished at how incredibly well the mando helmets amplify sound. I thought I'd be deaf in it, but quite the opposite. Almost like a parabolic microphone.

The visor and padding from Amazon is:

S35120 Replacement Shade 3 IR Visor for 390 Series - Uncoated​

Tickas Adjustable Goalkeeper Helmet Sports Football Soccer Rugby Goalie Helmet Head Guard Hat Head Protector​

The padding needs to be modified. The ears need to be cut out for, ya know, hearing. Also the odd hole for heat venting. And I am astonished at how incredibly well the mando helmets amplify sound. I thought I'd be deaf in it, but quite the opposite. Almost like a parabolic microphone.

It had been a while, so I had already purchased a "soccer helmet" and it just so happens to be the exact same one. I am having trouble locating the exact lens you used here on amazon US, but this definitely gives me some good search parameters. Thank you so much.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back