The Man from Earth

Risu

Master Member
I did a search and didn't find a thread about this movie, and I just watched it tonight and had to say something. Netflix recommends a lot of stuff, and most of it has been bad. I've watched the occasional movie I enjoyed, but they weren't really anything special. This movie was different. It's very low budget, it all takes place in one room, but I was entertained the whole way through. By far the best movie I've seen in years. For those of you who love sci-fi, I highly recommend it.

I saw it a few years ago. Had to talk my mom into watching it, and it's kinda hard to sell a movie where you go "Well, it's people talking... and they are all in a room, but seriously it's good!"

Damned fine film. I think it was based on a play of some sort.

I'd recommend it to anyone who just wants to see something a bit different, but still pretty awesome.

Chris

Had watched it couple of years ago without knowing anything about it and was really entertained as the movie progressed.

I also found it entertaining/interesting. Having said that, it's also a topic that could QUICKLY devolve into a religious argument if people aren't careful.

The footage is grainy (it was shot on a DVX100, barf) and some of the conversation and small talk is pretty fake, but otherwise a very good movie. Jerome Bixby was of course a writer of some of the best episodes of The Twilight Zone and Star Trek. He comes from an era in which SF was about ideas instead of 'splosions and merchandising.

It's take on immortality is quite refreshing, particularly pointing out that there wouldn't be any wise, all-knowing immortals. He teaches history but his knowledge is mostly based on study not his own experiences. Though they still can't resist having John know several famous historical figures.

It's a film that really draws you in much like the characters are drawn in to John's story.

The score is also good, too!

The religious bit goes on a bit too long, though. If you've never been exposed to the film's ideas about religion in general and the Abrahamic religions in particular I'm sure this part of the movie is mind-blowing, devastating, offensive, or all of the above. If you're already familiar with it (as I was) I think that part of the movie overstays its welcome a bit.

I also love his "explanation" at the end. Very clever and interesting.

I like to imagine what might happen to these characters in 20 years time. You could easily imagine Tony Todd's character becoming preoccupied with the story and trying to track John down, maybe finding John's girlfriend Sandy.

I make it a point to watch this film every now and again. Really a great movie.

The religious part did make up a larger portion of the movie than I would have liked, but it fit very well. Of all the periods of his life, that would be the most debated, even in a group of scholars and scientists. I would have liked to hear more about his life in more recent history, though. Near the end, I wondered if the movie would end with John visiting one or all of the characters at the end of their lives. I did love the ending, though.

Also, I did have some hesitation at the beginning because of the format it was shot on, and the writing of the small talk was weak. Glad I stuck with it, though.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back