The LV ( Luke and Vader ) Shared Stunt Lightsaber

Ooh now this is interesting. What is inside your tube and how does it connect to the bayonet socket?
It's just a threaded piece of some old cable connector that is press-fit into the tube from one side and to the bulb socket in the other. I didn't try to recreate how the original was made, just something quick to have for fun.

Here are some 1080p screenshots showing some of our favorite bolts. (The 4k screenshot site is down and I don't have disney plus)

This is the group of 3 bolts. I think. The first shot is a little confusing but the next one seems to make sense
Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 12.06.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 12.06.37 AM.png

Now one of the side bolts
Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 12.06.03 AM.png

and one up the upper core bolts
Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 12.08.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 12.08.45 AM.png

Anyway, another thing I find funny (and a little shocking) is this.... possibly gaff tape or cloth...
Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 12.03.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 12.04.14 AM.png

Here are some 1080p screenshots showing some of our favorite bolts. (The 4k screenshot site is down and I don't have disney plus)

This is the group of 3 bolts. I think. The first shot is a little confusing but the next one seems to make sense
View attachment 1663819View attachment 1663820

Now one of the side bolts
View attachment 1663818

and one up the upper core bolts
View attachment 1663821View attachment 1663822

Anyway, another thing I find funny (and a little shocking) is this.... possibly gaff tape or cloth...
View attachment 1663816View attachment 1663817

All that gaffers tape being wrapped around the dueling Graflex hilts…

I think I know why Mark immediately went to George to remind him that the camera flash hilt that caused him so much trouble in ESB had been lost and should be replaced with another—completely different—hilt design in ROTJ…

61279DE0-44AA-4E6A-B5A0-C4495E5E2ABA.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out some of the details. There are few questions that bug me every time I look at the references

1. Were the contact pins already missing in Norway?

1679117203056.png

The fist picture looks like there are no pins, second like at least one of them is there ...

2. Is this the same prop?
1679117452004.png

Quality is bad, but I see 2 buttons, what looks like 4 or 5 wide grips without notches and I see no black bolts (2 should be clearly visible despite the quality), but I think there is aluminium disc that replaces the top part of the bulb contact (note the straight line between the black and the metal inside the contact pin hole).
So if it is the same prop - it must be really early in the conversion "journey", before the bolts were added - but wasn't Dagobah supposed to be filmed last?

There's also this reference from the cave duel:
1679118721771.png

looks like the same grips, but the small "black hole" that supposedly is also some type of screw/bolt is visible.

That leads to the next couple of questions

3. Is this supposed to be a screw that holds the aluminium disc in place? It is drilled little too low, but maybe still goes completely into the disc instead of between the disc and the lower part of the bulb contact like it happened on my build ...

4. Where this fits into the timeline?
1679119416162.png

The grips look like those on DV6, suggesting it was done at the end of the fiming and remained like this ... But It is relatively good quality picture, the big bolt is clearly visible but no trace of the small "black hole" that should be right between the pin port and the back button. Also the other big bolts are not clearly visible, but I think they are there and should we assume all 6 of them were done at the same time? Or is it possible fist they only had 2 on the sides like some of the other stunts?
So is it just the picture quality, or this is taken after the big bolts were added, but before the small ones? There's plenty of references of the small holes in the Bespin duel scenes, so if they were filmed before Dagobah it should be there, but I just don't see it...

5. Another one that I'm not sure how it fits with the rest of the references:

1679120521422.png

So - no bunny ears - does it mean it was taken after every other reference? Maybe they were removed temporarily, but it's more likely once they fell off, they were gone for good... Grips look like notched t-tracks, maybe there's one missing ?

I hope someone will be able to clear my confusion at least about some of these questions.

I'll try to reply in the most helpful way possible. A lot of these issues came up when we were organizing photos.

I'm still trying to figure out some of the details. There are few questions that bug me every time I look at the references

1. Were the contact pins already missing in Norway?

View attachment 1680585
The fist picture looks like there are no pins, second like at least one of them is there ...

2. Is this the same prop?
View attachment 1680586

Quality is bad, but I see 2 buttons, what looks like 4 or 5 wide grips without notches and I see no black bolts (2 should be clearly visible despite the quality), but I think there is aluminium disc that replaces the top part of the bulb contact (note the straight line between the black and the metal inside the contact pin hole).
So if it is the same prop - it must be really early in the conversion "journey", before the bolts were added - but wasn't Dagobah supposed to be filmed last?

There's also this reference from the cave duel:
View attachment 1680587
looks like the same grips, but the small "black hole" that supposedly is also some type of screw/bolt is visible.

That leads to the next couple of questions

3. Is this supposed to be a screw that holds the aluminium disc in place? It is drilled little too low, but maybe still goes completely into the disc instead of between the disc and the lower part of the bulb contact like it happened on my build ...

4. Where this fits into the timeline?
View attachment 1680590

The grips look like those on DV6, suggesting it was done at the end of the fiming and remained like this ... But It is relatively good quality picture, the big bolt is clearly visible but no trace of the small "black hole" that should be right between the pin port and the back button. Also the other big bolts are not clearly visible, but I think they are there and should we assume all 6 of them were done at the same time? Or is it possible fist they only had 2 on the sides like some of the other stunts?
So is it just the picture quality, or this is taken after the big bolts were added, but before the small ones? There's plenty of references of the small holes in the Bespin duel scenes, so if they were filmed before Dagobah it should be there, but I just don't see it...

5. Another one that I'm not sure how it fits with the rest of the references:

View attachment 1680595

So - no bunny ears - does it mean it was taken after every other reference? Maybe they were removed temporarily, but it's more likely once they fell off, they were gone for good... Grips look like notched t-tracks, maybe there's one missing ?

I hope someone will be able to clear my confusion at least about some of these questions.

1) since these pictures are so blurry, it's hard to say at all if the pins are in there. I would guess yes, as something is making these bumps in the photograph.
8526D124-CF2A-4071-808D-B1D4B0F1E297_1_201_a.jpeg

2) This is the ranch saber. It does appear to be true that these shots on Dagobah were near the end of filming, and the saber was already converted, so the lack of bolts, lack of damage, to the top half rule out the stunt. The card has that infamous scratch on the leads, about 1/3 up from the bottom, and it does appear to have normal T track, similar to the width of the kobold. The picture is slightly over exposed with some double exposure (?) going on, drifting a lot of artifacts left to right. This is most likely what is causing the port artifact, as it doesn't line up with the center of the socket as the stunt does, on top of which the full bunny ear ring would have to be removed and unless I'm mistaken, it can be seen in the rest of that shot. It has all the artifacts of the ranch saber, at least where it's lit.
F3AF4061-E9DE-402D-926F-71253AEBDE7E_1_201_a.jpeg

DA0B98F9-DB0E-4E83-B564-3D04626A357C_1_201_a.jpeg

3.) those side bolts are absolutely part of what holds (what I call) the hockey puck in place. There is some type of slotted screw in front, and two M3 countersunk bolts. They are drilled so close to the edge that the bored heads extend beyond the lower rim of the puck. The threads, as far as we have been able to tell, are entirely in the puck.

4.) Hopefully the image below helps. These photos are not perfect and some black bolts show up in this manner. Dots, only where the sockets are.
D47B81E0-A481-4FDB-B102-DF4C974AC42A_1_201_a.jpeg

This hilt is a bit of a mystery but they do appear to be the DV6 grips. The clamp is clocked a little funny too, I think some of the modifications to the clamp area happened around this time, and I don't know what they are or why. It's crooked, the clamp is in a weird position, though it does appear to be the right length.

5.) this bladed one most likely is the same hilt. You need to remove the bunny ears to install the cores, and they can be easily replaced with a long screw and nut. After this, just the bunny ear flaps are set in for some of dagobah and then taken out again. The ring is never returned.

the only other option I can see is that there was a second bladed graflex, #2 with t track and #1 LV with foam grips. #2 would have lost the ears for good, since #1 has ears in one of the last uses of the saber on Dagobah. Weirdly, The #1 LV was used on Hoth, catwalk scenes, and dagobah, and I only see this second one once or twice. could easily be the same saber as a second one, until we have better reference.

I'll try to reply in the most helpful way possible. A lot of these issues came up when we were organizing photos.

1) since these pictures are so blurry, it's hard to say at all if the pins are in there. I would guess yes, as something is making these bumps in the photograph.
View attachment 1680703
Thanks for taking the time to reply in such details! I'm still reading and need to process the information, but meanwhile I did a quick test for the pins.
So the two black dots that we see in the first one could be either the holes if there are no pins or the pin tips if there are pins. But they are way to the side of the port hole instead of somewhere more in the middle - from that angle this matches better with how the holes look compared to where the pin tips should be:
1679166308345.png

(let's say their pins were oxidized black so the tips would be black dots instead of shiny dots like on mine)

Last edited:
2) This is the ranch saber. It does appear to be true that these shots on Dagobah were near the end of filming, and the saber was already converted, so the lack of bolts, lack of damage, to the top half rule out the stunt. The card has that infamous scratch on the leads, about 1/3 up from the bottom, and it does appear to have normal T track, similar to the width of the kobold. The picture is slightly over exposed with some double exposure (?) going on, drifting a lot of artifacts left to right. This is most likely what is causing the port artifact, as it doesn't line up with the center of the socket as the stunt does, on top of which the full bunny ear ring would have to be removed and unless I'm mistaken, it can be seen in the rest of that shot. It has all the artifacts of the ranch saber, at least where it's lit.
View attachment 1680704
View attachment 1680705
Hmm, I can't say I see the scratch on the contacts, but quality is bad enough that it might be there ...

The grips I agree that could be really the normal size 6 tracks

I can also agree the quality is too bad to tell if there's an aluminium disc in the port or not, although I don't know what's the chance for a half circle to appear like a straight line despite all the blur and motion artefacts. (On a side note I don't see a reason why the bunny ears ring had to be removed at this point, assuming the prop is still in the process of being converted. And even when fully converted if the rod was held in place by some of the bolts, then you can attach the blade to the rod, then push it through the bunny ears loop into the core and tighten the bolts. If the rod was not removable from the core, then I agree to attach the blade you probably have to get rid of the ring)

But, for this to be the ranch saber at this point I'd expect to see - 1 button only, some hint at least at that quality of notches and screws in the grips, and most importantly - this grip in the middle between the kobold and the control box should be the crooked one, but it does not seem to be?

Last edited:
Two things of note:

Yea there are two of those screws, that’s what i meant by one slotted screw and two M3s… they are on both sides of the button

When you look at that scene of mark sliding down that hole it’s a little obvious it’s not a bladed/cored stunt lol I’ll come back with some screenshots or public reference.

I found the auction catalogue with the bladed graflex in it that we all talk about. Awaiting a copy in the mail but im super excited to have that reference and whatever other details we haven’t scrounged from the internet

I'm going to attach a bunch of public images

these are NOT the LV saber and really belong in the ESB Hero thread, but since we're ruling it out as a stunt, it's relevant I guess.

I think, to a certain degree, its safe to assume these are the same hilt
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 3.09.55 PM.png
FinseNorway.jpg
mark-hamill-in-star-wars-episode-v-the-empire-strikes-back-1980-file-reference-32603-379tha-P...jpeg
Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 12.11.19 PM.png
V312(1).png

The first shot is the relevant one, from Luke sliding down into the cave I think

I'm going to attach a bunch of public images

these are NOT the LV saber and really belong in the ESB Hero thread, but since we're ruling it out as a stunt, it's relevant I guess.

I think, to a certain degree, its safe to assume these are the same hilt
View attachment 1680750View attachment 1680751View attachment 1680752View attachment 1680754View attachment 1680755

The first shot is the relevant one, from Luke sliding down into the cave I think
Yeah, if that first one is from the cave entrance, the scratch is definitely there. Although the light reminds me more of when Luke meets Yoda and not so much of the cave - are you sure it is from the cave? I guess I should check the video - I was only looking at that single picture that I had saved along with the other references.

This is the cave scene, and I can't tell much but the hilt bounces around on his leg so much I don't see any suggestion of them swapping the stunt out.

That being said, Luke starts the fight with something other than a graflex
Screen Shot 2023-03-18 at 10.20.23 PM.png

I would say it was the MPP but the MPP has a full shroud here
Screen Shot 2023-03-18 at 10.21.57 PM.png

and here is the bladed one without the bunny ears
Screen Shot 2023-03-18 at 10.22.10 PM.png

and with the loose ears in, possibly filmed before or after, who knows
Screen Shot 2023-03-18 at 10.23.03 PM.png

So this is not from the cave for sure
screen-shot-2020-04-01-at-3-09-55-pm-png.png

it is from here
1679244067740.png

and it's the hero with the missing button.

I've added couple of transitional variants to my build collection:
1681254176202.png

I used black small screws for the build with the taped clamp as they look black and silver for the belt hanger as they blend better with the flash finish that could explain why I can't see them in the reference picture.

However, in this reference picture they look like brass slotted screws, so I might change them to brass eventually.
1681254737727.png

Unless I'm mistaken, the placement of the DV6 grips can date back to dagobah. Like.. with the blade still on
EP5-CA-351.jpeg

LFA_VaderROTJendcap.jpg
PB100095b.jpeg
gripcloseup1b.jpg

I'd also like to add...

1) Rivets aren't touching
2) T track at each corner of the Kobold away from the D ring
3) 7 T track before ROTJ

Does this mean the pommel cap repair was done on dagobah?

I've thought that the grips on the DV6 could be the same as the ones seen on the Dagobah belt hanger picture.
But unless Roy's template that I used for my build is wrong (I don't think it is) or I just messed it up when building (possible :) ) - the DV6 grips are bit too long to fit with a normal graflex clamp it seems. Also those upper holes don't line at all to where the upper small screws should be on the grips.
1686066949857.png

I've thought that the grips on the DV6 could be the same as the ones seen on the Dagobah belt hanger picture.
But unless Roy's template that I used for my build is wrong (I don't think it is) or I just messed it up when building (possible :) ) - the DV6 grips are bit too long to fit with a normal graflex clamp it seems. Also those upper holes don't line at all to where the upper small screws should be on the grips.
View attachment 1708139
gosh that weathering job looks disgusting great job :D

you bring up some really, really good points.

The upper holes - quite honestly, I can't fathom why the upper one exists. Hopefully its just the one and it was a pilot hole screw up or something. OR I mean..

The following is complete hypothesis.

If the clamp, somehow was messed up and didn't work properly..... maybe that upper screw helps hold in a bridge between the two halves. the pop rivets might also be part of this.
I thought I found rivets here, but the two photos don't line up. (teecrooz I think these are part of the set we talked about, if not i'll take them down)
crop1.jpg
crop2.jpeg

That side rivet... is on the left of the side bolt, and then to the right of the side bolt. I tried twisting my clamp to see if it slipped, and it doesn't even rotate that far because of the slot. Granted, rivets don't slip sideways... any thoughts?

ALSO, this doesn't take care of the lower half. There are only holes in... for example the V3 clamp... only one side.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back