The LV ( Luke and Vader ) Shared Stunt Lightsaber

Doesn’t there also appear to be some variation of how far the bunny ears are pinched, depending on the scene/stunt blade?

In some photos the bunny ears are completely pinched together, while in other photos they appear in their more neutral, open position.

Any theory on that thd9791?
When it was just a hilt... in the wampa cave no doubt they were pinched together because of whatever piece was stuffed in the ring.

Afterwards.. I can imagine that without being connected, the tabs are free to flop around on their own. Alley can clarify further, I think he actually did that to one of his hilts!
Tom, do you think the clamp was actually replaced? Instead of just being wrapped with some foam and taped to make it more comfortable to handle? I've seen the control box is sometimes wrapped in black tape also in ROTJ (v3 or the YUMA or both, can't remember now)
No, just wrapped. I can think of 3.. the Gx, The Throne Room Luke, the Pipe Stunt that all had multiple layers of gaff tape around the clamp and the box. No foam, as far as I can tell

I only suggested foam as I think it was done to make it more comfortable, but there must be something below the tape as the "control box" here is twice as wide as the graflex clamp is and edges look rounded, especially on the upper side. Of course you can get there by just wrapping lots of tape around it.
1660848615048.png

This reminds me another weird thing that I've noticed
1660848828607.png

The upper here is wrapped with foil. I don't think it is there to hide the black bolts. I thought maybe there's also some cushioning below it, as it looks as wide as the clamp or the lower with the grips.

That could very well be... good observations! I know for a fact at least one of those sabers that looked like it had thin foam was actually multiple layers of gaff tape. The clamp box on the catwalk is really big though, i'm glad you pointed that out.

I want better resolution to the window scenes though, could be the foil unraveling or it could actually be thick, I have no idea

IIRC, Hoth scenes were filmed first, Bespin filmed second, and Dagobah filmed last.

If that is correct, then the Graflex top section would have been used in the Hoth scenes with no bolts added, and then for Bespin the bolts added and grips replaced with foam/tape and the clamp covered in tape.

As we see the same Graflex top on that Dagobah belt hanger with an uncovered clamp and ANH style grips, I wonder if the Graflex top was removed from the Hoth/Bespin tape-covered stunt saber clamp/lower tube and added to a different clamp/lower tube. If Dagobah was filmed last, and this was the final set-up for that top combined with those mid/bottom pieces, then I can easily see the cut bunny ears being removed, the tabs being flattened, and this becoming a Vader saber.

If you watch the whole sequence it is certainly deformed by his grip, but is sitting like it is wrapped tight. It's not unraveling in the sense that it is loose around the upper and ready to fall.

IIRC, Hoth scenes were filmed first, Bespin filmed second, and Dagobah filmed last.

If that is correct, then the Graflex top section would have been used in the Hoth scenes with no bolts added, and then for Bespin the bolts added and grips replaced with foam/tape and the clamp covered in tape.

As we see the same Graflex top on that Dagobah belt hanger with an uncovered clamp and ANH style grips, I wonder if the Graflex top was removed from the Hoth/Bespin tape-covered stunt saber clamp/lower tube and added to a different clamp/lower tube. If Dagobah was filmed last, and this was the final set-up for that top combined with those mid/bottom pieces, then I can easily see the cut bunny ears being removed, the tabs being flattened, and this becoming a Vader saber.
You see where this is headed! ;)

I agree with everything, the only snag is that bladed graflex without bunny ears halfway through filming. maybe there was a second one, or maybe they used a skinny screw to put the bunny ears back on for a belt hanger, I haven't a clue

Its a fraction of a second but I do see what is meant about the foil, it does look tight. hmmm

Afterwards.. I can imagine that without being connected, the tabs are free to flop around on their own. Alley can clarify further, I think he actually did that to one of his hilts!
Great thread thd9791 !

Yeah, they are somewhat “floppy”, though with the tension ring removed from the bunny ears, they lack the weight to move too much.

(Please note my hilt is a WIP and many parts are not in their designated “final configuration”.)

26D09895-6991-4720-9463-5EA6E8C78806.jpeg

Last edited:
Doesn’t there also appear to be some variation of how far the bunny ears are pinched, depending on the scene/stunt blade?

In some photos the bunny ears are completely pinched together, while in other photos they appear in their more neutral, open position.

Any theory on that thd9791?
Correct-o-mondo

It seems like while it’s in “wampa cave mode” the why the blade attaches to the stunt is different.. it doesn’t have a collar setup like the rest of the stunts.. the antenna has a black cylinder at the bottom of it that is actually smaller then the base of the blade..

Which it pinched inside the bunny ears, the blade is actually crooked

Or.. it’s a super weak bond and gravity is taking over and making the blade crooked.. idk

Tom, do you think the clamp was actually replaced? Instead of just being wrapped with some foam and taped to make it more comfortable to handle? I've seen the control box is sometimes wrapped in black tape also in ROTJ (v3 or the YUMA or both, can't remember now)
Hamill has gone on record saying how uncomfortable the grips were, and that they made special grips for him

More recently we have learned that I think it was the carbonite duel.. (don’t hold me to that though) but early on, Hamill took a hit with vaders blade while holding the control box, it split is thumb wide open, and they couldn’t film for days until his hand was healed

I THINK is was found in the Rinzler books.. again, don’t hold me to that book, but I know it was recently found that his thumb was split open and filming was delayed (maybe a newly discovered call sheet?)

I think that is why we then see all the stunts horribly wrapped in gaffers tape, even the rehearsal stunts are then wrapped in tape

I have no proof of what I’m about to say. But I think Hamill’s favorite stunts were the pipe stunt and v3, you see him behind the scenes practicing with those two all the time..

Hamill has gone on record saying how uncomfortable the grips were, and that they made special grips for him

More recently we have learned that I think it was the carbonite duel.. (don’t hold me to that though) but early on, Hamill took a hit with vaders blade while holding the control box, it split is thumb wide open, and they couldn’t film for days until his hand was healed

I THINK is was found in the Rinzler books.. again, don’t hold me to that book, but I know it was recently found that his thumb was split open and filming was delayed (maybe a newly discovered call sheet?)

I think that is why we then see all the stunts horribly wrapped in gaffers tape, even the rehearsal stunts are then wrapped in tape

I have no proof of what I’m about to say. But I think Hamill’s favorite stunts were the pipe stunt and v3, you see him behind the scenes practicing with those two all the time..
IIRC he injured his thumb filming the leap from the snowspeeder, not during a saber duel.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back