The LV ( Luke and Vader ) Shared Stunt Lightsaber

v312

Sr Member
Here's the ranch:
1667613597100.png

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'll be honest, I can confirm the bottom is flush to the tab, and brass colored. From this and one other photo I can't share
Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 10.04.49 PM.png

For the life of me I can't find any other reference of the top of the tab

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Remember they molded this thing for Jedi. Alterations can be explained if it made molding easier.......

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
That looks like a hole. Or a depression, dent, etc. (on the skywalker ranch saber) I wonder if they hammered brass in there with a steel punch

v312

Sr Member
I know this ranch saber thing is getting off topic, but there's no reason to believe that something was hammered in, it's just the pin missing.
These two pictures are enough to see that there are holes on both sides and that the original brass insert is still there.

1667689775556.png

I've butchered more than few graflexes, and some of these brass inserts are really loose and will fall out when you remove the pin. But other are pretty tight and you actually have to hammer them out with a rod. So they hold the bunny ears in place just fine ( maybe not for dueling though).

Edit: What I mean is that if the insert is there you only need to hammer or crimp the tabs on the body a little against it and everything will stay in place
1667773539319.png

Last edited:

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
it's just the pin missing.

I've butchered more than few graflexes, and some of these brass inserts are really loose and will fall out when you remove the pin. But other are pretty tight and you actually have to hammer them out with a rod. So they hold the bunny ears in place just fine ( maybe not for dueling though).

It's definitely going to help with the LV saber if we get hints at what they did to prep graflexes! I completely... completely forgot there was a little tube in there. I have only ever destroyed the pin trying to get it out so I think I didn't pay much attention when I was jusrt so glad to get the hole clear

Do you have any pictures of one of yours? The wampa cave saber looks like theres a head larger than the hole where the pin was. I'm hoping there is something there,,,

ALLEY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Maybe you are looking at a different video ... this is the one I had in mind (around 0:24s):
View attachment 1635208

Just checked the bonus feature presentation…

AF5DC6D9-236F-43FE-8157-56357ABC47F2.jpeg

It’s definitely not the original rivet holding on the bunny ears and appears to be a simple hollow brass rod in place of the original rivet.

FB5FEBBA-0058-40EC-AE26-6C92B86C3FA5.jpeg
012E7149-62F5-4311-831D-17A0849D22C1.jpeg

EB6D2367-D7EB-4654-A32C-524DA9719B49.jpeg

The center post / tube that normally forms the central link between the two ears, and the sleeve for the rivet, is not long enough to serve as a method to securely hold the bunny ears on in this fashion. I speculate that this hollow brass tube was trimmed and glued into the center post / tube in order to securely keep the ears on.

Last edited:

ALLEY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I went ahead and replaced the bunny ear rivet on my ESB Graflex stunt with a hollow brass rod like we apparently see on the Skywalker Ranch Graflex…

6D28B945-1969-4F82-B08C-3EED02B243C4.jpeg

Since we see these ears come off and on with these stunt hilts, I think it logical to assume that they may have used hollow brass tubes to replace the original rivet, like we see with the Skywalker Ranch Graflex. It may be a leap in logic, but I’m going with it.

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I went ahead and replaced the bunny ear rivet on my ESB Graflex stunt with a hollow brass rod like we apparently see on the Skywalker Ranch Graflex…

View attachment 1635746
Since we see these ears come off and on with these stunt hilts, I think it logical to assume that they may have used hollow brass tubes to replace the original rivet, like we see with the Skywalker Ranch Graflex. It may be a leap in logic, but I’m going with it.
I’m going to check my reference in an hour or two, the bottom might be solid. I’ve been looking at rivets or something because they could have “spread” the brass on top a little

It looks great though!

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I finally remembered what this reminds me of! Anakin Starkiller let me try my hand at a Star Trek Phaser kit a long time ago. One part involved pressing a ball bearing into a brass tube, mushrooming the end, trapping a rod looping around it.

At first it looked like the tip of this was spread like that, just flanged out a little.

I don’t think that anymore though. It’s poking out a little in the public icons photos, and less in the video. Maybe it is a tube… haven’t seen the bottom fully yet

ALLEY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I finally remembered what this reminds me of! Anakin Starkiller let me try my hand at a Star Trek Phaser kit a long time ago. One part involved pressing a ball bearing into a brass tube, mushrooming the end, trapping a rod looping around it.

At first it looked like the tip of this was spread like that, just flanged out a little.

I don’t think that anymore though. It’s poking out a little in the public icons photos, and less in the video. Maybe it is a tube… haven’t seen the bottom fully yet

I believe that you may be describing the brass posts that are typically used to mount terminal connectors.

EB14DDDA-9978-482F-A177-4158C710BC34.jpeg

B8EBF106-F2AD-432F-9EA2-DF2381D15ED4.jpeg
C3BE2E5A-10E6-46FC-9077-E24EB3BD08FA.jpeg
6E6E793B-3F0E-48DB-900A-8A94A4B013D1.jpeg

Last edited:

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Possibly! This was the same kit.. some other build here on the RPF. These brass tubes had to be squashed to make the hinge for the brass plates
5F7EBB66-86DE-4036-BB59-6D286D550260.png

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, I experimented with the bunny ears yesterday. It’s true, the original brass tube cannot extend beyond the bunny ear tabs unless it’s slid up or down, maybe that’s all that’s in there, but ITS TOO BIG TO FIT IN THE GRAFLEX TABS

I’m not kidding, it’s purposefully bigger than the flash tube holes. The rivet is the correct diameter to pass through the Graflex tube holes, and the brass tube is a bushing or spacer.

I spent all this time machining a beautiful rivet out of brass rod (with metal files on a drill press) only to find out the diameter of the bunny ear holes and the graflex tube holes are different.

For now I have a brass (long) threaded screw in there, same diameter as the rivet. With the original brass tube.
46BA8530-CC24-4D13-B5ED-D761A1FE5BB7.jpeg
7834F0B6-A164-4F61-864A-FCF2069B4EBB.jpeg
CB0D4185-3F6F-414E-ACEC-0BBD2A90B9D3.jpeg
A8E37307-EF02-42F9-AD7D-FDA762A1B23A.jpeg

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, on the OTHER end of the saber I made some headway.

It looks like the endcap is screwed up on Dagobah. For sure it's screwed up in the 90s during the Magic of Myth tour, and that means most likely it was during Jedi filming. If IronDestinyProps doesn't mind, I took his photo of a recent project, cropped the real prop comparison and boosted the contrast to show what I see.

I have always seen a very thin rim around the endcap. That is.... underneath what I will call the "kobold plate"

FDE731BE-B64E-4845-9368-FC427F279CDB_1_201_a.jpeg

So in essence... I see it in layers
1) Thin Graflex wall and filled endcap space
2) Kobold Plate and a washer? near the center
3) Kobold D ring and possibly the original rivets, lathed down

I have never been able to fathom how the wall could be so thin. The Graflex itself is almost 1/16" in thickness and then today.... an idea struck me. Where is the graflex wall thinner? Why... where it's milled for the endcap to sit! I sacrificed a 2 cell bottom to learn about the cross-section myself. Sure enough, I found a lip thinner than T track.
IMG_3895.jpeg
IMG_3876.jpeg
IMG_3877.jpeg
IMG_3878.jpeg
IMG_3879.jpeg

At this point the Graflex started to look like the DV6 but I couldn't find the seam-line of the endcap and wall!
IMG_3880.jpeg

so I dropped one of my metal files, handle down in there, and whacked it with a wooden mallet. The cap fell out.
IMG_3881.jpeg
IMG_3884.jpeg
IMG_3892.jpeg
IMG_3893.jpeg

I almost think they put the endcap back in place. Maybe upside down? Maybe the hand-cut "kobold plate" is the original endcap but flipped? I'd love to hear people's thoughts

IMG_3894.jpeg

IronDestinyProps

Now that is a very interesting and plausible theory! Perhaps for the purpose of installing the internals in the Graflex, the prop department knocked out the stamped bottom plate and did like you did using an adhesive and two new rivets to re-secure the Kobold clip and plate.

OR...

Could we merely be seeing a thin lipped Folmer bottom on the real prop?

Last edited:

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Now that is a very interesting and plausible theory! Perhaps for the purpose of installing the internals in the Graflex, the prop department knocked out the stamped bottom plate and did like you did using an adhesive and two new rivets to re-secure the Kobold clip and plate.

OR...

Could we merely be seeing a thin lipped Folmer bottom on the real prop?
I’ll tell ya, I get the feeling the thicker lip of the INC was just a stronger connection… an upgraded design. The Folmer lips were still at least 1/16” give or take a little.

The rim I see in these exhibit photos is… grabbing calipers….1/32 or .8 mm, give or take a little. It does more closely match the material left over around the milled lip lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.