The Jupiter 2 launch pad and gantry towers

toyroy

I'd like to obtain accurate, measured drawings and useful photos of the Jupiter 2's launch pad and gantry towers. I don't know if Fox studios made drawings of these single-use props, and, if so, if they still exist.

The pad and three tower props are in fine original condition, at Seattle's Sci-Fi Museum. I would very much prefer drawings of the props as actually built, if such exist.

Thank you, for any help you can give me, towards this goal.

How bout grabs from the show? :D

RelStow-j2launchplatform.jpg

RelStow-j2launchplatformCU.jpg

RelStow-j2launchplatformUP.jpg

- k

FWIW...

The cradle fits the Gemini 12 ship, not the Jupiter 2.

I Did a set of drawings as a supplement to the work that Henry Prentiss did for a Polar lights size launch tower. I cleaned up his stuff, and drew a set of towers and was going to make castings, but never got enough interest to produce anything except the master parts, not even molds.

I am planning to build a launch tower as a way to display my Studio scale Jupiter 2, but will fudge the hull lines on the cradle. The towers will have lights, reflectors, and a gel cell battery in the bottom. It's just in the planning stages.

Nice Grabs BTW...

Originally posted by phase pistol@Dec 30 2005, 11:11 PM
How bout grabs from the show? :D
[snapback]1147391[/snapback]​

Thanks much, for these EXCELLENT grabs. These are MUCH better, than any others I have seen. I think I'll make wallpaper for my desktop, from them.

One thing I notice, are the detail differences between the Gemini 12 fusion core, and that of the Jupiter 2 hero.

I do have some color pics of these props, from various websites. One thing not too obvious from these grabs, is that the tower props are tracked, just as the real Saturn 5/Shuttle mover is.

Originally posted by y3a@Dec 31 2005, 04:48 AM
The cradle fits the Gemini 12 ship, not the Jupiter 2. 
[snapback]1147464[/snapback]​
It's clear from these grabs, that it wasn't a PERFECT fit, even for the Gemini 12.

Originally posted by y3a@Dec 31 2005, 04:48 AM
I am planning to build a launch tower as a way to display my Studio scale Jupiter 2, but will fudge the  hull lines on the cradle.  The towers will have lights, reflectors, and a gel cell battery in the bottom.  It's just in the planning stages.
[snapback]1147464[/snapback]​
Will one of your towers have an elevator and walkway, as Jim Key put on his?

(None of the original tower props had this detail BTW- although one was located in position opposite the upper deck hatch)

Originally posted by toyroy@Dec 31 2005, 01:09 PM
Will one of your towers have an elevator and walkway, as Jim Key put on his? 

(None of the original tower props had this detail BTW- although one was located in position opposite the upper deck hatch)
[snapback]1147559[/snapback]​

Yeah you can't actually get INTO the j2 as it is configured like that, can you... :lol

- k

Originally posted by phase pistol@Dec 31 2005, 10:03 AM
I've seen the restored miniature in the Seattle SF Museum, very nice. They don't allow photography unfortunately. :(

If you haven't already, check out the photos in Phil Broad's "cloudster" site... some shots of the unrestored gantry and j2 miniature as it survived from the City under the Sea show they used it on.

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/Jup.../JuptiterII.htm
[snapback]1147554[/snapback]​
Thanks, and yes, some good shots there.

Originally posted by micdavis@Dec 31 2005, 10:40 AM
Anybody got a profile worked out of the fin detail on the fusion core for the four footer?
[snapback]1147578[/snapback]​
In general, it is simply a parallelogram, with rounded free corners. But Y3a is the one to ask, about 4 foot Jupiter 2 details. You might try that question on the thread about the landing gear, since he started that.

Originally posted by toyroy+Dec 31 2005, 11:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toyroy @ Dec 31 2005, 11:37 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-micdavis
@Dec 31 2005, 10:40 AM
Anybody got a profile worked out of the fin detail on the fusion core for the four footer?
[snapback]1147578[/snapback]​
In general, it is simply a parallelogram, with rounded free corners. But Y3a is the one to ask, about 4 foot Jupiter 2 details. You might try that question on the thread about the landing gear, since he started that.
[snapback]1147911[/snapback]​
[/b]

My $.02...

The Gemini 12 seems to have been 'missing' it's Fusion Core, so perhaps it was modified into the 1st Jupiter 2 core???? I Dunno. Those screen grabs are about the best documentation you're gonna git. The shot that shows the support leg from the side is most likely the BEST INFO you have to fabricate your own. You have to do SOME eyeballing to get all the details right on the numbers, and how many rivet counters are there to nit-pick the launch tower?? :confused

Same goes for the Launch facilities. The Sci-Fi museum has the original stuff, along with what is most likely the "Pod Dropping Hero". It's a shame that THAT Hero has been heat warped in storage. It also could be that THAT model was used for a pyrotechnic shot that went bad, but the bottom was still usable so it was volunteered to be the Pod Dropper. (No proof though) That could also explain the warpage. :eek

I wish there was SOMEBODY STILL ALIVE TO EXPLAIN ALL THAT STUFF.. L.B. Abbott and the Lydeckers and Mr. Hameras are all gone. :cry Who knows who the stage hands were?? The Guy steadying the Spindrift is a different guy than the guys steadying/holding the Jupiter 2 miniatures. Unless somebody got hurt in the process, I don't think Fox would have the records of a models demise/damage...

Originally posted by y3a@Jan 1 2006, 07:43 AM
The Gemini 12 seems to have been 'missing' it's Fusion Core, so perhaps it was modified into the 1st Jupiter 2 core????  I Dunno.  Those screen grabs are about the best documentation you're gonna git.  The shot that shows the support leg from the side is most likely the BEST INFO you have to fabricate your own.  You have to do SOME eyeballing to get all the details right on the numbers...
I didn't know you were asking about the Gemini 12 fusion core. According to Fox drawings, the G12 core is 28% larger in diameter than the J2 core, and the above pix show a simple, flat surface on the bottom, whereas the J2 core had a central hatch, and other detail.
Clearly, there had to be more 'windows' and fins on the G12. However, they appear very similar, on both.

Originally posted by toyroy+Jan 1 2006, 05:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toyroy @ Jan 1 2006, 05:09 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-y3a
@Jan 1 2006, 07:43 AM
The Gemini 12 seems to have been 'missing' it's Fusion Core, so perhaps it was modified into the 1st Jupiter 2 core????  I Dunno.  Those screen grabs are about the best documentation you're gonna git.  The shot that shows the support leg from the side is most likely the BEST INFO you have to fabricate your own.  You have to do SOME eyeballing to get all the details right on the numbers...
I didn't know you were asking about the Gemini 12 fusion core. According to Fox drawings, the G12 core is 28% larger in diameter than the J2 core, and the above pix show a simple, flat surface on the bottom, whereas the J2 core had a central hatch, and other detail.
Clearly, there had to be more 'windows' and fins on the G12. However, they appear very similar, on both.
[snapback]1148254[/snapback]​
[/b]

There are two photos of the Chaser core with bottom and top views that will answer the questions. I think THAT core is on the bottom of Jeins hero, in the Sci-Fi museum. The 'other core' was on the 1st year Jupiter 2, and I think I might still have them posted over at hobbytalk as a pair of clips showing the gear deploying before they set down in the Derelict.

Originally posted by phase pistol@Jan 1 2006, 07:39 PM
Diagram by Ron Gross. Note the very large front window and fusion core, on the "Gemini 12" version.
[snapback]1148444[/snapback]​
One small point, regarding Ron Gross's drawing: although the Gemini 12 was smaller in diameter, the viewport occupied the same angle, which was about 45 degrees, as you look down the vertical axis of the ship. So, the relative width should appear the same, if the hulls are shown as here, at the same diameter.

The Gemini 12 viewport's lower sill WAS relatively lower, though, as depicted here.

Originally posted by y3a+Jan 1 2006, 09:12 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(y3a @ Jan 1 2006, 09:12 PM)</div>
Originally posted by toyroy@Jan 1 2006, 05:09 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-y3a
@Jan 1 2006, 07:43 AM

[snapback]1148254[/snapback]​

There are two photos of the Chaser core with bottom and top views that will answer the questions. I think THAT core is on the bottom of Jeins hero, in the Sci-Fi museum. The 'other core' was on the 1st year Jupiter 2, and I think I might still have them posted over at hobbytalk as a pair of clips showing the gear deploying before they set down in the Derelict.
[snapback]1148390[/snapback]​
[/b]

IRRITATING QUESTION:

See the line on the bottom of the saucer???? Could it be the Chariot ramp? I 'heard' it was "ONLY" on the 10 foot job. So what gives?? I did some comparisons of the Derelict sets vs the Fantastic Voyage sets and the brain cells look a LOT like the derelict sets. If so, it had to be a four foot model used in these shots.

Originally posted by y3a@Jan 2 2006, 03:46 PM
IRRITATING QUESTION:

See the line on the bottom of the saucer????  Could it be the Chariot ramp?  I 'heard' it was "ONLY" on the 10 foot job.  So what gives??  I did some comparisons of the Derelict sets vs the Fantastic Voyage sets and the brain cells look a LOT like the derelict sets.  If so, it had to be a four foot model used in these shots.
[snapback]1149063[/snapback]​
I believe the ramp was only incorporated on the full-size mock-up. And, I don't know which line you're referring to. These photos, nice as they are, have visible imperfections.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back