The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

Could fill the chips with a clear fingernail polish or Future and for the scuffs a good coat of auto polish.

If that doesn't work, try a buffing compound but don't think you need sand paper.

Depends on how deep the scuffs are but body polish should do the trick... also a great way to protect the rest of the clear coat.

But don't wax over the fingernail polish/future repair until that spot is fully cured.

Re: The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

Almost there! Operation sled to shield is almost complete! First attempt painting a shield and I'm really happy with the results. No stripping for me! I highly recommend painting the shield vertically as mentioned and as I did if you're using spray cans as they are meant to be painted with in an upright position. Painting horizontally and holding the cans sideways can and will create problems. Just a few final touches left to make on the star and to attach it, a clear coat, some wet sanding and polishing and I'll be done! A special thanks again to Valor and EVERYONE else who has posted extremely helpful tips to help make this project possible. I have spent the last couple weeks reading every word of these threads and I suggest anyone making a shield do the same, it greatly helped. Great job to everyone!

xyz.jpg78.jpg51.jpg48.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone have any suggestions on clear coating? Brand? How many coats? Etc. Thank you in advance!

I used rustoleum automotive clear coat on mine and it looks great! Got it at home depot if you wanna try it.

Thanks CT, I'll look into it. Can that be wet sanded? I know some clear coats cannot be.

Does anyone have any recommendations about preparing the shield before clear coating? Just wipe down with a soft cotton rag I assume?

And if I wet sand a small section of the paint before clear coating, will it be noticeable after I clear?

Thanks CT, I'll look into it. Can that be wet sanded? I know some clear coats cannot be.

Does anyone have any recommendations about preparing the shield before clear coating? Just wipe down with a soft cotton rag I assume?

And if I wet sand a small section of the paint before clear coating, will it be noticeable after I clear?

I have not personally tried wet sanding it. But I can look on the can and see if it says anything when I get home Sunday. And far as sanding before the clear coat yes. Sadly my shield was hit by some stuff that fell off a shelf and it scuffed it up pretty bad. So I lightly sanded those areas and hit it again with a clear coat and it turned out looking like nothing happened. For prep before clear coating I wiped the areas without paint with acetone to get rid of finger prints and then just wiped it down a microfiber cloth.

I used the Rustoleum Crystal Clear enamel on my shield and it wet sanded out perfectly after allowing sufficient time to cure. I think I left it for a few days to get good and solid. I used nearly two whole cans in dozens of thin coats to cover both sides since I knew I was aiming for a mirror finish and wanted no chance of sanding through to my base coats. I wiped down my bare metal rings carefully with mineral spirits prior to clear coating...acetone kept leaving a hazy white film that I didn't like. I also had to wet sand a very small section of paint to try to reduce a dirt nib that had landed in my red paint. It wasn't noticeable after the clear went on.

Do make sure you keep your coats from getting too thick...I got too heavy on one coat and ended up with a horrifying sag that took hours of painstaking sanding to get out.

This is how the clear turned out after wet sanding up to 2000 grit and hand finishing with the Meguiar's Ultimate compound/polish/wax products. It was a lot of work, but I think it was worth it.

20140519_172143.jpg

Great Work! I Am currently trying to find time to wet sand mine. Sadly Mine too has a sag in one spot. And this is probably a sort of dumb question but I can't find any sand paper higher than 400 at hardware stores. do they have it at auto stores?

Hey Everyone, new to the forum and decided to pick this as my first project.

Had a question on the star. Is everyone tracing it and then removing the excess tape in the center with an exacto knife or other tool? Thanks for helping a newbie out.

Great Work! I Am currently trying to find time to wet sand mine. Sadly Mine too has a sag in one spot. And this is probably a sort of dumb question but I can't find any sand paper higher than 400 at hardware stores. do they have it at auto stores?

i think I found 1000 and 2000 grit at Walmart before in the auto section.

Hi everyone,

This question was probably already answered, but I guess I'm using the wrong search terminology in my research on this forum.

Based on both the Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron, how do you obtain that darker, matted look on the shield that seems to be the new standard in the films? Is it a different paint, or a new process? Thank you in advance.

Hi everyone,

This question was probably already answered, but I guess I'm using the wrong search terminology in my research on this forum.

Based on both the Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron, how do you obtain that darker, matted look on the shield that seems to be the new standard in the films? Is it a different paint, or a new process? Thank you in advance.

If I'm understanding you correctly I think you're referring to the non-glossy look. For that you do the whole process the same and just use a satin clear coat at the end.

i think I found 1000 and 2000 grit at Walmart before in the auto section.
Meijer also has 1000 and 2000 in their auto section.

Had a question on the star. Is everyone tracing it and then removing the excess tape in the center with an exacto knife or other tool? Thanks for helping a newbie out.
I've had my shield taped up to paint the blue for a couple weeks now and I'm also a wondering about the star as you do want the star as close the metal as possible (and if you're using glue/JB Weld type stuff to get it to adhere better). I'm just doubting my ability to get it trimmed so precisely...

Which also leads me to...

No issues at all. I start with a smaller drill bit for the pilot hole then use larger one to match the rivet. Hand riveter from Lowes.
Since you riveted the star onto the shield, I'm guessing it's still best to leave bare metal under the star? Did you still use any JB Weld-type stuff to guarantee a tight fit?

For masking off the star, trace your star onto a piece of paper. Then trim 1/8" off the entire perimeter, leaving you with a pattern just smaller than your actual star. Trace around that onto your tape, then cut around that. Peel up the tape around the star and you're left with a perfectly sized star masked out on your center ring.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back