The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

Got a spun Ali blank today, got a little beat up in transit. And bent out of shape. The shield is a lot weaker and floppy than I thought it would be. I assumed these would be quite rigid and strong. Is this normal?

Also interested to find out more about rigid rivets as I'd like to use them to attach my star, can someone shed some light on how they work. Only used to the pull through rivet gun type, but they leave a hole which is no good

Got a spun Ali blank today, got a little beat up in transit. And bent out of shape. The shield is a lot weaker and floppy than I thought it would be. I assumed these would be quite rigid and strong. Is this normal?

Also interested to find out more about rigid rivets as I'd like to use them to attach my star, can someone shed some light on how they work. Only used to the pull through rivet gun type, but they leave a hole which is no good

Where did you get it from?
I've had two from different suppliers now. The ones from North East Metal Spinners are very solid. The one from a guy on Facebook has a lot of flex in it.
Im not sure on the star, i will be gluing mine on.

Here's mine. I bought the blank from North East Metal Spinners.
I had to strip the paint one as the paint can spat on the last coat. Im not impressed with the way the cans spray.

The paint stripper i used seemed to react with the metal. There was a mark all around one ring where the tape was. I had to sand it with fine wet and dry to get rid of it in the end.

With the star attached. I didn't engrave the star on this one as i was too worried about screwing it up. Stuck the star on with innotec topfix two part adhesive

Im going to do another with straps and an engraved star. Ive already painted the red.

Hey guys I'm on to shield number 2 and this time it's for myself instead of a client. I wasn't hugely satisfied with the paint job on my previous one but hey the guy loved it and was really happy so no complaints there. My main concern is the red/blue circle join, after a great number of attempts on the first shield I always ended up with paint peeling away from one of the colours, even a tiny bit which annoyed the hell out of me. I've just hit the red circles on the new one and looking to try avoid the issue this time round. Would it be worth clear coating the red and silver now with the centre still masked up, then I can mask the blue circle off over the red and hope no peel occurs?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Clark.

That could work. I weakened the masking tape before applying it over the paint. If you stick in to your arm or face before putting it down it should weaken it enough. This worked on my second attempt.
Also make sure it's had a few days to fully cure before masking on top of the paint.

Where did you get it from?
I've had two from different suppliers now. The ones from North East Metal Spinners are very solid. The one from a guy on Facebook has a lot of flex in it.
Im not sure on the star, i will be gluing mine on.

Not into naming as hopefully they are going to get me a thicker one done, and looking for a reject shield to double up the one I already have as I brought two. Got my brackets cut out today, just need to cut the leather slots.
Opted for satin lacquer

The one's we used were easy. They were solid aluminum rivets so they were soft and easy to work with. Basically, put a metal block down, set the die (whatever it's called) on it, had someone hold the shield with the rivet in place cupped in the die, and then we used a punch with a hammer on the inside to set the rivet.

We make them. Out of all kinds of things. Some people get spun metal discs, others take metal sleds and manipulate them and strip them down. Some people make them out of plastic. Infact I saw someone a few threads back making one from 2X4's. Mine is a spun metal disc from a shop. I'd like to think 7 out of 10 people got their metal from the same source. I know I did. Check around. I'd hope the guy in Miami still makes them. Good quality stuff.

We all start out with just a piece of metal.

Well I did the metal sled deal, but after seeing what you guys are coming up with I feel like mine falls short of what it could be.

665808_10151501172822589_122451119_o.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/sIr6G#0

I don't have the workshop or tools to do all the rivet stuff you guys are doing, is there any alternative to that for the stuff you guys are doing getting the handles on the back to look good? Also, anyone know any south cali metal spinners that give good results for this stuff? I've tried contacting a couple via their websites but they didn't respond. What I'm really hoping for is something that can attach handles on the back that could double as a backpack setup so it could withstand being on my back with the stress of going down the road on a bike at 60mph.

Has anyone found that the paints don't adhere at all well to the Ali blank? Just painted the centres on both mine and pulling off the masking tape has ruined the lines, as some paint has come away. My mate has suggested Ali acid etch primer, I did clean it very well with acetone first.
Oh well rub off and start again :(

That can happen, I found it better to weaken the tape before you apply it.
Is it the first coats of paint or the second coats where you tape over the first colour?
A primer might help but you may lose the spun lines. Also the anodised paints need a metalic base.

Well, and speaking of tapes, which ones have people had the most success with? Is everyone using painters tape? Anyone using frisket, or plain old masking tape?

I've used Scotch Blue Delicate Surface, and green Frog Tape.

What have others found has worked for their shield project, and just as importantly, what has NOT?

Green frog tape initialy for the red rings and then the yellow low tack version over the red when doing the blue inner circle .

For those of us in the Uk try halfords own brand rubbing compound about £ 3.50 for a large tube , then a polish ( not wax ) you will see a noticeable improvment :)

Mike

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back