The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

I cleaned off the blue tonight and will have to find another can and start over. I tried wet sanding a little with an 800 grit but it did not seem to help and just made it look worse 20140803_212533_resized.jpg.

Thanks to this thread I was able to get this shield done in time for a convention a couple of weeks ago. Spun aluminum with Valor star and brackets, painted with Duplicolor Metalcast, it was the only metal shield at the con and got a lot of attention. Lots of stranger's fingerprints, and each bracket decided to pop off on different days since I didn't take enough time to get a better curve on them (oops).

tumblr_n9t5n1PhCO1rog6rwo1_1280.jpgtumblr_n9t5n1PhCO1rog6rwo2_1280.jpg

(I made the Winter Soldier too, but that was more of a half-finished test run than an actual debut..)

Thanks to this thread I was able to get this shield done in time for a convention a couple of weeks ago. Spun aluminum with Valor star and brackets, painted with Duplicolor Metalcast, it was the only metal shield at the con and got a lot of attention. Lots of stranger's fingerprints, and each bracket decided to pop off on different days since I didn't take enough time to get a better curve on them (oops).

View attachment 358240View attachment 358241

(I made the Winter Soldier too, but that was more of a half-finished test run than an actual debut..)

Nice shield man! Great color and all around good work. One of nicest shields I have seen here. One question though, did you clear coated it?

Nice shield man! Great color and all around good work. One of nicest shields I have seen here. One question though, did you clear coated it?

Haha that's very kind of you but the weathering hides a lot of the messy edges! The star had a layer of Valspar satin clear on it (awful, do not recommend at all), but the rest of the shield had no clear.

P8140004.JPGP8140005.JPGP8140006.JPGP8140007.JPGP8140008.JPGP8140009.JPGi dont want to take away from this thread but i have one i started ages ago for painting the airsoft shield. and i plan on using it for my cap costume this halloween. i have tried a few things on the shield which you can read in my thread
http://www.therpf.com/f78/painting-airsoft-captain-america-sheild-138133/#post3395936

but i am looking input for what looks best. at the minute my options are car wrap and then the traditional paint. i will hopefully have a metal shield soon so this airsoft one will simply a stunt shield for halloween night but i would still like it to look cool. so should i go with the car wrap or the paint?
i have samples of each on the shield right now, again more detail in my thread so i won't go into it too much this post.
anyway pics of where i am at now...

For one-time only, I think you should paint it -- strip it and paint it. use classic colors, not metallic, and then save your money for a metallic shield. That car wrap has to be way more expensive than you want for one use only.

actually the car wrap is pretty cheap. its not really one use only, its a costume piece yes but hopefully it will serve me well on multiple occasions. a metal shield isn't really something suitable for a night out. hell they might not even let me in with the plastic one
its just which finish looks best?

May I plug my kit build and paint services thread in the junkyard?

As for the star, thats temporarily stuck on with just one piece of blue painters tabe rolled up in the center.
I just very gently eased the curvature of the star by bending the star at a few select pressure points. Not a sharp bend at all, I just flexed it into shape.
This will make gluing it down later much more reliable as I will be less likely to have any edges popping up.
What would you charge for a paint job?

Hey guys.
I'm currently painting a blank and I'm trying to figure out if anyone has any ideas as to how to clean some overspray out of the grooves. I'm sure there's something pertaining to that in this thread, just can't find it.

Thanks

evening ladies & gents,

ive seen a few people mention "Lazy Susans"

just wondered did people buy them or make them.... if they're made/reused from something else... what it was

I was thinking an old bar stool?

Hey guys.
I'm currently painting a blank and I'm trying to figure out if anyone has any ideas as to how to clean some overspray out of the grooves. I'm sure there's something pertaining to that in this thread, just can't find it.

Thanks

What I did was take a paper towel or rag with acetone, and took a screwdriver or exacto knife, and was able to get the rag in the grooves to take out any extra. The exacto knife worked well because it also was thin, but strong and sharp. The problem I encountered when doing that though, was if I was not careful and and didn't take my time, I would sometimes strip some of the paint from the actual front of the shield.

I painted and stripped mine down 4-5 times though, but if you have the almost perfect shield, try to do the above steps.I avoided this the last couple times I painted by putting painters tape in the grooves as best I could, and cutting away the excess. That is also a careful process. But then again, we all wouldn't have/be painting Cap Shields if we weren't careful. Good luck.

Chris

What I did was take a paper towel or rag with acetone, and took a screwdriver or exacto knife, and was able to get the rag in the grooves to take out any extra. The exacto knife worked well because it also was thin, but strong and sharp. The problem I encountered when doing that though, was if I was not careful and and didn't take my time, I would sometimes strip some of the paint from the actual front of the shield.

I painted and stripped mine down 4-5 times though, but if you have the almost perfect shield, try to do the above steps.I avoided this the last couple times I painted by putting painters tape in the grooves as best I could, and cutting away the excess. That is also a careful process. But then again, we all wouldn't have/be painting Cap Shields if we weren't careful. Good luck.

Chris

Chris, I appreciate the response so I'm definitely going to try and use both of those to see if I can clean it out. I had the thought, but was unsure if I was just failing to find an easier, safer way of going about it. And agreed. I've stripped mine 5 times and have finally arrived at a point of satisfaction, just need to clean it up.

Thanks again

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back