The Holy Lance a.k.a. the Spear of Longinus a.k.a. the Spear of Destiny

kalkamel

Master Member
Years ago, I bought a Reelart Spear and modified it to look somewhat acceptable. But I knew one day I wanted to make another, more accurate one that I would be proud to display.

I 3D printed this quite some time back but as with most of my 3D printed projects, it got put in storage waiting for the proper motivation to come to me. That motivation finally came in the form of both DaBuild's and 13doctorwho's respective Spear of Destiny builds.

Something to note: this is not a replica of the (fake) Spear that appeared in the first few minutes of that recent so-called Indiana Jones movie, but rather it's a replica of the Holy Lance displayed in the Imperial Treasury at the Hofburg Palace in Vienna, Austria. An idealized version of this was seen in Constantine (starring Keanu Reeves) and the first Ron Perlman Hellboy movie.

The spear and the sleeves were 3D printed in PLA with 100% infill as I wanted it to be heavy. I used steel wires... and boy, were they a pain to work with. I have to admit the wire work isn't great, but it's the best I could do. The spear was painted with rattle can sprays (including a hammered finish), then weathered with a mixture of acrylic washes, oils and weathering powder. The pictures don't really do justice as they don't quite capture the level of weathering on the spear itself and the grime and rust on the wires, but there's only so much a phone camera can do.

Nowhere near the finish achieved by DaBuild and 13doctorwho, but at least I finally have a spear replica I can proudly display instead of that terrible Reelart piece.

rps20230813_124907.jpg

rps20230813_124922.jpg
rps20230813_124947.jpg
rps20230813_125002.jpg
rps20230813_125012.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Spectacular! For the life of me, I can't figure out how the wire is woven and knotted so that it looks correct. Can you provide any guidance on that?

Spectacular! For the life of me, I can't figure out how the wire is woven and knotted so that it looks correct. Can you provide any guidance on that?

To be honest, I just zoomed in on the wire section of the actual artifact as reference and tried to "weave" the wires as best as I could to make them look like what I saw on screen. Not 100% perfect or accurate but to my eyes, they're close enough. After the weaving process, I use a pair of pliers to make them conform more to curves of the spear. You can see DaBuild's video to see how this is done.

Years ago, I bought a Reelart Spear and modified it to look somewhat acceptable. But I knew one day I wanted to make another, more accurate one that I would be proud to display.

I 3D printed this quite some time back but as with most of my 3D printed projects, it got put in storage waiting for the proper motivation to come to me. That motivation finally came in the form of both DaBuild's and 13doctorwho's respective Spear of Destiny builds.

Something to note: this is not a replica of the (fake) Spear that appeared in the first few minutes of that recent so-called Indiana Jones movie, but rather it's a replica of the Holy Lance displayed in the Imperial Treasury at the Hofburg Palace in Vienna, Austria. An idealized version of this was seen in Constantine (starring Keanu Reeves) and the first Ron Perlman Hellboy movie.

The spear and the sleeves were 3D printed in PLA with 100% infill as I wanted it to be heavy. I used steel wires... and boy, were they a pain to work with. I have to admit the wire work isn't great, but it's the best I could do. The spear was painted with rattle can sprays (including a hammered finish), then weathered with a mixture of acrylic washes, oils and weathering powder. The pictures don't really do justice as they don't quite capture the level of weathering on the spear itself and the grime and rust on the wires, but there's only so much a phone camera can do.

Nowhere near the finish achieved by DaBuild and 13doctorwho, but at least I finally have a spear replica I can proudly display instead of that terrible Reelart piece.

View attachment 1728279
View attachment 1728280View attachment 1728281View attachment 1728282View attachment 1728283

Thanks for reading.
That is epic. Would you consider making others for fellow Constantine fans?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back