Spear Of Destiny, Now With Display CASE!!!

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I rewatched Constantine a few months ago and decided I wanted to make a Spear Of Destiny. So I started doing research into the history and images of "real" ones (the one in Austria in particular) trying to decide what I want to do. Then DaBuild post his excellent version. Not only was I inspired, but he provided free templates!! Between that and his video tutorial I was way ahead. So, off I went!!! Thank you so much DaBuild !!

I did not do mine exactly like DaBuilds because I didn't have a lathe. Here are some pictures of where I am so far...

Main body cutting and carving...
IMG_3926.JPG

Base spear primed
IMG_3948.JPG

Last edited:
I rewatched Constantine a few months ago and decided I wanted to make a Spear Of Destiny. So I started doing research into the history and images of "real" ones (the one in Austria in particular) trying to decide what I want to do. Then DaBuild post his excellent version. Not only was I inspired, but he provided free templates!! Between that and his video tutorial I was way ahead. So, off I went!!! Thank you so much DaBuild !!

I did not do mine exactly like DaBuilds because I didn't have a lathe. Here are some pictures of where I am so far...

Main body cutting and carving...
View attachment 1662859

Base spear primed
Hey man! I'm super excited to see that! Can't wait to see the final result! Cheers!

Weather in Houston this week has paused work on this. It' too cold to spray paint or airbrush. It's supposed to warm up early next week, so I hope to get the base coat on it then. I'll update when there's progress.

I'm back at it! I am having a lot of trouble doing the wires. They don't look as good as the Austrian one or DaBuild excellent work. I may have to cut them off and start over. I'm using brass wire and it's good for this, I'm sure the problem is me. I'm thinking about creating a fixture. Fortunately I have plenty of wire to redo it several times.

So here is where the wire wrap is so far. It's not as bad as I thought, but it's still not great. I haven't decided if I'm going to redo it. Take a look and let me know what you think...

IMG_3982.JPG

Close Ups
IMG_3983.JPG

IMG_3984.JPG

I did the rest of wiring. I decided not to redo the previous wiring, I wasn't confident I could do it any better. The next step is spray painting. Here's where we are so far.

IMG_3985[1].JPG

Gorgeous work, both yours and DaBuild's! I modified a cheap Reelart Spear many years ago and have been itching to make another one from scratch. Question: I noticed both DaBuild and yourself used gold colored wire for your replicas and I was wondering why. Most descriptions I've read of the actual Holy Lance in Hofburg (which the one in Constantine replicated) say that it has silver wire, albeit heavily weathered through the ages.

I used brass wire because it was easy to work with. I plan to paint the wires the same color as the blade. The pictures I've seen of the one from Austria the wire is a kind of grey like the blade.

I'm still working on this, but it took a different direction. I had a lot of problems bending the brass for the sleeve. I also realized even with clear coat it would probably tarnish.

My new plan was to sculpt the sleeve and apply imitation gold leaf. The results are so-so, but I need to finish this so I can take care of some real world stuff. I hope to finish this week and maybe try again in the future.

Pictures of what not to do coming soon.

Alright, this version is done. I'm not really happy with it, I may make another one. The imitation gold leaf doesn't look any better than paint. Maybe I'll try Alclad gold next time. On to the pictures. Let me know what you think!!

IMG_4099.JPG

IMG_E4098.JPG

Alright, this version is done. I'm not really happy with it, I may make another one. The imitation gold leaf doesn't look any better than paint. Maybe I'll try Alclad gold next time. On to the pictures. Let me know what you think!!

View attachment 1675529

View attachment 1675528
That really looks amazing. I’ve been looking for a replica that is accurate enough without completely breaking the bank. This one looks great.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back