THE HOBBIT swords

Nuts! I emailed Kit Rae's studio about UC making a replica of Thorin's Dwarven sword and did not get the response I was hoping for...

Jason, sorry but United will not be making this. They had planned to make it in the beginning but cancelled when they saw Noble was licensed to make the same product and was already taking pre-orders. Two on the market would have drastically reduced sales on what would have been an expensive product to make, especially considering it is really only used in film 1. We were sad about it because it was our favorite sword in film 1.

Best regards,
Jerrod Nasfon
Kit Rae Design Studio

I am incredibly bummed about this. Now I guess I just have to decide whether or not Noble's version is worth buying. It's a sad day for this nerd.

Jason V.

You could always get the Noble version and upgrade it to your standards. Maybe change the handle out with an actual carved wooden handle and age it!;-)

Has anybody bought the Nobel Collection Thorin Dwarven sword?

I'd love to hear a review of it!;)

I can usually find reviews of swords on youtube, but not on this one...

You know, I would probably pull the trigger on a purchase if I could get a side elevation of this thing first.

noble_deathless.jpg

Well, I took a risk and ordered one just now. Hopefully, I'll dig it and it will find a nice place on my wall. If not, it's going back. Either way, I'll post pics!

As a practicioner of historical European martial arts I must say that I don't like the swords from the hobbit. When lotr came out I was happely suprised when I saw the swords, they are not only nice to see (not to flashy) and could even be practical, right weight and balans. I even Got myself an UC sting for my collection. But when I saw the hobhit I was truelly disapointed about the look of the swords. They look great as props but most of them aren't practical/useble at all.

Don't get me wrong, for a propcollection they are great eye catchers but from a HEMA standpoint most are just wrong.

-R-

Not practical for humans, but great for dwarven physiology. It is a fantasy, after all.

Jason V.

As i said, they are great props. The dwarven are really "top heavy" , if got a hold of a few at a dutch renfair, even viking swords aren't that top heavy. Only usefull for hack and slash fighting, not the fighting we see in the movie.

If you like them or not depends on your taste, its really personal. I would really like a functional, well balanced enduriel or glamring. but the dwarven swords are just not my cup of tea. I like the axes though.

-R-

Last edited:
I would really like a functional, well balanced enduriel or glamring. but the dwarven swords are just not my cup of tea. I like the axes though.
-R-
I agree, though I think the dwarven swords are all really interesting designs, the weapons just don't appeal to me personally unless they seem useable.

My friend Brendan has made a few different functional well-balanced glamdrings, and some different takes on dwarven swords, by the way:
Orcrist & Glamdring (2013) by Fable Blades with Custom Scabbard Work
Sword of Turgon - Foe Hammer - Full Tang Functional High Carbon handmade Glamdring by Fable Blades

He also made a more functional and useable version of the Master Sword, which is another example of a sword design that, like the dwarven swords, is very interesting visually but would not be practical as a weapon for a human beings in its original incarnation.
Blade of Evil's Bane - Link's Master Sword by Fable Blades Custom Functional Swords

I think Brendan's version of Orcrist is about as far down the scale of "fantasy" proportions as I'd be willing to slide for my own collection. It has a ton of distal taper to handle the mass-distribution issues of the elaborate blade shape, and it's still built as a two-handed weapon for maneuvering the large blade effectively. It's still unusual and striking and plays with the "dwarven" geometric design shorthand, but without resorting to complete impracticality.
w6IRUnX.png

Last edited:
According to the book Orcrist is an Elven blade so while his adaptation is quite cool, it seems too much Dwarven instead of Elven. Love the Glamdrings though.
Oh, absolutely. But I give it a bit of a pass because it looks cool. :lol
Actually, I'd ideally like to have Brendan's version AS a dwarven sword, not as Orcrist. I'd like to see Orcrist look more like this (my own design, posted earlier in the thread):
Orcrist1-1.jpg

Orcrist2-2.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone know a good place to look for some high quality/res reference photos of Fili's swords? I need to make them for a commission but I'm having a hell of a time hunting down quality images that don't pixelate when I zoom in to trace and make blueprints.

There is a steel rod running the length, with threaded ends. Under the tip cap and pommel cap are the threaded ends. The parts basically are all stacked on this rod and bolted at the ends with nuts. It's all bonded with automotive epoxy, so it's not going to come apart without damage if you intend to modify.

I don't recall the wood we used, but It was probably one of the Elm species used for furniture. There were so many types that factory used I'm not sure the same wood would have been used throughout production.

All the axes? The description for the Walking Axe says solid wood, genuine leather wrap grip etc. I ask because I wonder would it be possible to use the axe head and silver/brass head piece on a functional level. Like with a polypropylene haft or something. If I ever acquire a 2nd axe its something that I'd like to find out more info on. If it worth trying or to just leave it alone.

Also has there been any news from UC on upcoming 2016 line up? Kimberly at customer service said in December they were discussing options but haven't landed on anything yet and would be re-releasing more LOTR stuff in the future as well.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back