The food trays in "2001: A Space Odyssey"

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Markus

Looking good markus. I used the "Foam as Food" idea also. Sprayed the foam lightly with regular spray can, so the foam can be eaten by the paint and look like mashed potatoes (or Space Food).
View attachment 1463222
Nice to see your tray again - it just looks great! And this is what inspired my build. Yesterday, I really thought that foam was an original idea; now I figure out that I had probably read about this in your build thread and stored it somewhere in the deeper layers in my brain.
What I want to try, is to scratch the surface to make it look like a "meal in progress".

WhiteTray2ed.jpg

However, I just read that floral foam is a very unhealthy material (formaldehyde, etc.). But I think I can find a better material with similar properties.

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Markus

Look into high density and polyurethane foams.
Thanks for your input.
In the meantime, I already got this:
20210601_181915.jpg

On their webpage, they state that they use 20% post-consumer recycled material - but, of course, they don't mention if it contains formaldehyde...

joberg

Master Member
Thanks markus for the praises:) I experimented with foam years ago and I got a close look of "food-being-eaten" by using a soldering iron and pushing the foam in little mounts to mimic food. Worked well!

Markus

The next step was to cut the foam and, with a rather sharp spoon, scratch the surface to make it look like food being eaten.
20210607_182637.jpg
20210607_202032.jpg

Then I treat the surface with wood glue, to harden it - as a basis for painting.
20210609_144722.jpg

This takes forever to dry...

Markus

Very good job all in all Markus (y)

That's fantastic! I love the fake food material.
Thank you!
Yes, I also like how the food came out. My daughter criticized that there is some small but clearly visible space all around the food blocks. In Joberg's prop, the food fills out all the space up to the edge which looks more realistic. However, it's funny to notice that in the movie prop you can also see a little space all around the food - at least for the two on the left.
WhiteTray2ed.jpg

metaform3d

Yours is a lot more appetizing than the various shades of beige from the movie. I feel like it's something I would expect to see in the front window of a restaurant in Japan.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.