The food trays in "2001: A Space Odyssey"

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Markus

... Btw, I fail to see the second hole to put the straw into the box itself.
There is a reason for that: There is no second hole :)
I noticed that, with my tool, I can't make that hole once the box is glued. I would have to make the hole before gluing the pieces - but I didn't. So, currently the straws are going nowhere ... but you can't see that when they sit in the tray.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

joberg

Master Member
There is a reason for that: There is no second hole :)
I noticed that, with my tool, I can't make that hole once the box is glued. I would have to make the hole before gluing the pieces - but I didn't. So, currently the straws are going nowhere ... but you can't see that when they sit in the tray.
When confronted with that type of challenge (how to pierce a hole in a fairly thick paper/cardboard) I usually trace the circumference and cut an X, respecting the edge of the hole. As soon as you introduce the straw through that X, it will collapse...and voilà: the straw will be snug and will not come out. With the level of accuracy you have already into that build, it would be sad not to respect the original packets ;) (y) (y)