The Falcon & Winter Soldier (tv series)

I sort of feel like this was the series finale, wrapup episode. It brought a conclusion to all of the home and personal problems that they were each facing. Next weeks episode will be the final show down and Sam accepting his role as Cap.

Wow. Mackie able to show some of his acting chops. I was really moved when Sam handled the shield in the beginning. It was such a loaded moment and was acted perfectly. Sam's grief was deep and complicated - he missed Steve and also felt guilt for having given up the shield, then there's the legacy of the shield and all that represents. This was all palpable on his face as he began to wipe the bloodstains with his hands.

It is probably the most dangerous time for any story to attempt to touch on issues of race relations or nationalism. The script was very smart in that it managed to acknowledge an undeniable past but stopping just shy of making assertions about the present. The major players in conflict are all trying to do good.

The arc of Sam's boat renovation with his sister did a good job at pulling back the scale to a more personal level. It could have come across as "tacked on" if it had been realized with less care than it had been. I really liked it.

Carl Lumbly as Isaiah. Wow. That man can tell a story.

Some characters are more iconic as secondary characters. Ayo had great presence in her cameo as a nameless Dora Milaje bodyguard in Civil War. I thank the writers for resisting the temptation to embellish her more. She has great presence as is.

Elaine Benes treads dangerously close to shtick. I hope she has the wisdom to refrain from chewing her scenes. We'll see.

By the end I like how things are shaping up.

Last edited:
It feels weird how Sam and Bucky talk about Steve like he's dead, he's "gone". Did he tell them he didnt want to ever see them again? I dont get it.

I’m guessing maybe Steve is dead. He went back and lived his life with Peggy, but we know that she died a few years before Infinity War.

I kind of think Steve was just hanging on to give Sam the shield and once he did, he let himself go.

I loved this episode. Agree with the calm before the storm feeling.

So many questions...I really want to know what exactly Sharon is up to. I mean, they haven’t done an awful lot to make us think she’s NOT the Power Broker.

I’m 100% sure they showed us how they’re going to have Sam be Cap without taking the serum, too. I mean, that case HAD to have a Cap suit in it that has the same tech that Black Panther’s suit uses, right?

I've seen speculation lately that Sharon is a Skrull. THAT would be interesting, I think...

I think this is my absolute favorite episode so far. There are so many layers to what is going on. My husband and I have had multiple philosophic discussions around this show and the themes. It's been so amazing... not only for addressing themes like Bucky's PTSD and issues experienced by the black communities of our nation, but also veterans issues and the lack of genuine support they sometimes get from the government they signed on to serve.

I don't feel like they've pulled many punches in how they've handled these difficult themes and it's been an amazing experience.

Really enjoy this show. Was a big fan of Captain America and the Falcon growing up and grew to appreciate and enjoy Bucky in this iteration.
Very good story telling here. Heartbreaking to see what Isaiah went through and what Sam and his family are going through. The torture bucky has and is going through. I will enjoy seeing Sam take the Captain America Mantle but still feel that anyone else calling themselves another characters name is just uninventive. Not so much in this case because Steve asked him to and I personally like combining two of my favorite heroes from childhood into one. However I think it speaks volume when a hero comic character has a beginning and an end. A mantle to be passed on is a different story. If original character asked for the mantle to be passed ( Steve to Sam ) all good. When I saw this new Captain America come out in Cap's suit that was unpleasant. Don't know his comic character but again easy to dislike.
Which leads me right into Julia Louis Dreyfuss, my first thought is why. Is there not any other talented female actress that could bring interest and life to that character. Just get so tired of seeing the same people over and over again. Give someone else a chance.

Would like to know more about Isaiah and see flashback to Sam and his sister with their Mom and Dad when young and the family business.

Just for the sake of conversation:
Why can't Sam just call Pepper for money to fix the boat? That wouldn't even be pocket change for her.

Question about the shield: I accept that the shield doesn't obey physical laws, flying, bouncing off stuff, returning to the thrower, ok I get that. But does it spin when thrown? I always assumed it was like a frisbee when thrown. If that is the case how do they straps always align perfectly to slip back on the thrower's arm? Even if it doesn't spin, no way the straps would always just align to someone's arm. If they used the magnetic attachment like in Winter Soldier it would at least make more sense.

Again, I realize there are no answers, it's just fiction. But these kind of geeky questions are what we do here, right?

I’m not going to lie guys.

We all knew that eventually Chris Evans wasn’t going to be playing Captain America any more. We also all know that in the comics there have been a few characters that have taken up the mantle, so we’ve probably all thought that eventually we’d see a different character as Cap in the MCU.

I have been on Team Falcon since the very first scene that he was in back in “CA: The Winter Soldier.” I felt that Mackie played the part perfectly, and his chemistry with Evans was great.

So, saying that...I’m super excited to see Sam finally take up that mantle. I personally can’t see a better character, and to be honest, a better actor, to be our next Captain America.

Next Friday can’t get here fast enough!!!!

Will his new costume have wings or not? Are they going to follow the comics or go in another direction? As bulky as that case was (Bucky’s “gift), he probably will still have wings...

Question about the shield: I accept that the shield doesn't obey physical laws, flying, bouncing off stuff, returning to the thrower, ok I get that. But does it spin when thrown? I always assumed it was like a frisbee when thrown. If that is the case how do they straps always align perfectly to slip back on the thrower's arm? Even if it doesn't spin, no way the straps would always just align to someone's arm. If they used the magnetic attachment like in Winter Soldier it would at least make more sense.

Again, I realize there are no answers, it's just fiction. But these kind of geeky questions are what we do here, right?
Because Vibranium.

Duh.

I was not familiar with the character of Contessa Valentina Allegra de Fontaine but she has a long history in the comics.

Apparently she’s in the upcoming Black Widow movie that we were supposed to see first last summer way before we saw her in Falcon/Winter Soldier. When we see her in F/WS, we’re supposed to already know who she is.

To learn more:

I've seen speculation lately that Sharon is a Skrull. THAT would be interesting, I think...

I think this is my absolute favorite episode so far. There are so many layers to what is going on. My husband and I have had multiple philosophic discussions around this show and the themes. It's been so amazing... not only for addressing themes like Bucky's PTSD and issues experienced by the black communities of our nation, but also veterans issues and the lack of genuine support they sometimes get from the government they signed on to serve.

I don't feel like they've pulled many punches in how they've handled these difficult themes and it's been an amazing experience.

I thought they handled it really well. When I heard Anthony Mackie say they were going to deal with issues in the black community, I was skeptical because they can either do it in a teaching way, like they did, or a preachy condescending way which tends to make white viewers think they're being treated as racists by default. I really wish we could get a mini series with Isaiah's (sp?) story now. I get why he's so p*ssed off, but I think everyone will accept a black Captain America. I just don't know how Sam can do it without the serum.

I read an article the other day that said the problem with this show is the villains. I thought the same thing because we really don't know what the "Flag Smashers" want. Maybe comic fans know, but they aren't letting anyone who just watches the shows in on it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back