The Extreme Ghostbusters Appreciation thread.

KrangPrime

Master Member
It's now been almost (?) 20 years since Extreme Ghostbusters hit our screens. Looking back on it, what where your reactions then as opposed to now?

THEN: I HATED the animation style at first. something about it just seemed...off. it was the same animation style used in men in black as well....so the company got around. I think that took the longest to get used to. the older proton packs where also stylized even more than they where in RGB....so they came off as cheap looking.

The characters: of course, back then, we thought the characters where extremly PC. if Kylie wasn't a goth, and garret wasn't in a wheel chair, that probably wouldn't have been the case, but it was like they made a concerted effort to get someone from every part of the population. I think I liked/Understood roland the most. he was the level headed, smart one who always tried to do the right thing, was polite, and thought through things logically. I related to garret the least since he was the complete opposite of roland. and lets face it, he wouldn't last the first hour on the job in the real world. unless his chair was thought controlled and freed up both of his hands. I never understood the goth culture, but after a while, kyle grew on me, and so did Eduardo who always seemed to have the best lines.

the one that took the longest to get used to was the new Slimer. Billy West did a good job, but I missed the RGB syndicated season portrayal of slimer the most. they tried to recreate that here, but something about the voice seemed lacking.

and of course, the highlight was having maurice lamarche return as egon.

The other thing that took a long time to get used to was the focus on a more horror element of the show. I remember not liking episodes like deadliners, although it's been so long I can't remember why. however, then you got into episodes that really felt like RGB shows..... Casting of the Runes, the Inerfnal Machine. The Jersey Devil. these type of episodes proved the writers got the GB franchise and what made this new team tick, where as episodes like till death do we start and witchy woman I remember not liking as much and found a little boring IIRC.

All in all, I think it was an OK series and deserved a second season. problem was it was on upn and didn't really have much of a chance. the GB franchise is kind of cursed in that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a kid I saw the toys first and then found the actual cartoon. I haven't watched those since I was a kid but I do remember that Back in The Saddle was my favorite episode(s) since the OG GB's appeared

image.jpeg

I incredibly WANT to appreciate this show. I've read some of the IDW comics that use the goth girl, BUT, try as I might I can't find anywhere to watch any of the episodes.

I've even tried some of the ...darker... corners of the internet to see if anyone could burn me some DVDs or put them on a flash drive, but no luck.

I did watch a different Ghostbusters cartoon but, um never even heard of this one. As bas as this one looks it still looks a million times better than the Paul Feig turd.

I'm surprised on this group of all places, no ones really seen it. I guess outside of NY, UPN might not have been much of a thing ;o).

check out a few of the good ones listed up on youtube ;o).

I'm surprised on this group of all places, no ones really seen it. I guess outside of NY, UPN might not have been much of a thing ;o).

My issue was my age. I got married at 20, right arouns the time this show was on, I was honestly NEVER at home. I probably went for about 4 years & watched a total of 100 hrs of TV per year.

;)

Nah, UPN was a national network, but it was never a very popular one. Always a distant fourth, I suspect. I do recall being fond of the MiB cartoon, but Extreme GB never clicked for me, I guess. *Shrug*

-MJ

Had UPN also(grew up in South Dakota)...but I don't remember what channel I first saw extreme Ghostbusters on though.

Now about the show....I didn't care for it. I love the movies and the RGB cartoon, but I couldn't get into EGB. Some of it was the new characters, but honestly I think it was the new equipment. The Proton Pack, PKE meter, traps, soooo iconic to me, I just couldn't get past anything else...and then seeing that Peter, Ray, Egon*, and Winston were nowhere to be found...I just couldn't do it.

*I know Egon was in there, but it just wasn't the same lol.

I loved this show as a kid, and rewatching it somewhat recently (along with the original cartoon), I prefer it over the latter, actually.

I watched 70+ episodes of the original (RGB) waiting for it 'get good like I remembered' and it never did. I appreciated what they did, but the writing was pretty mediocre and childish overall. I'm immune to nostalgia glasses. I can say it sucks without hesitation.

Extreme surprised me a lot upon revisiting. Complex writing and very layered cast, with a darker tone. My only issue was nothing was resolved. It just ended. It had the potential for actual buildup of a longer narrative and it never happened. But oh well, it was an excellent series while it lasted.

Some of the jokes are unbelievable for a kid's show too:

(Evil genie ghost twists your wishes), Eduardo ends up as Kylie's cat because she pays more attention it than him.
Garrett makes a sarcastic joke upon finding out, "Hate to hear what he wished for..."

Get it? Wow.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back