The Enterprise Restoration Project

Well if you can convince people that Steve's half scale is the restored model, just imagine how that will sway the powers that be to let the real thing be restored... :)

Now there's an idea! Show off that model as a 'proof of concept' type thing?
"Look what can be done from scratch: imagine what we could do with the original"

Now there's an idea! Show off that model as a 'proof of concept' type thing?
"Look what can be done from scratch: imagine what we could do with the original"

That's so ironically simple that it just might work! :facepalm :behave

Seriously --- my commendation for original thinking and best plan of the day --- regardless of whether you meant it to be taken that way or not! :$

No irony intended. I honestly meant it as: "Look we really know what we're talking about, we know what it's supposed to look like, and we really care about doing it properly"

Folks, this is my very first post at the Forum. I've registered here in support of this project. I'm not a wealthy man, but I pledge $100 as soon as you guys get a place to donate.

That ship is important to me. I want to see her fully restored and operational ... preferably in a condition that includes full lighting for at least a few minutes every hour. I want all the jokes pulled, the original decals reproduced, and the paint scheme as close to a studio match as possible.

I have only one doubt; one worry about the people connected with this project, and it is in no way intended as a dig against the talents of people like Steve or Doug ... their resumés speak for themselves. But do you have experience restoring an artifact like this? I know you're more than capable of creating an almost exact duplicate from scratch, but isn't a restoration a similar, but different kind of project? Again, this isn't an attempt to de-rail the restoration or insult anyone's ability, but if necessary, can you get someone experienced with restoration on the team?

Good luck, all.

If the Smithsonian is open to a restoration it could be funded in much the same way that "Space Command" was. I know there would be many people willing to donate to restore her the way she should be. "Space Command" has been able to raise 80K in just four days. I'm sure the Enterprise project funding would also proceed at warp speed.

Any movement on this project guys?

Funny you should mention that Feek. I had the same exact idea.

If you were to attach names like Doug Drexler, Steve Neil, et al., you could probably raise a considerable amount of money to get it done right!

I don't think even a half million would be out out of the question.

I'd be in for $100.

I won't add to the continual bashing that Ed has taken over the years... but I have always been truly mystified by what happened to the big E... sporting a paint scheme that has never even remotely existed... at any time in any source material.

Most (all?) of the guys that originally built the E were around to ask... Rich Datin died only last year. But regardless... yes, this simply has to be put right for the 50th.

R

What the Smithsonian should also have by her side is the CV & CVN Enterprise. Both of them made history: in battle or being the first of.
I'm hoping I can see CVN before see becomes scrape metal.

What the Smithsonian should also have by her side is the CV & CVN Enterprise. Both of them made history: in battle or being the first of.
I'm hoping I can see CVN before see becomes scrape metal.

That's a good point, but the Starship Enterprise is displayed in Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum.

My bad, But wasn't there planes on it? Technical loop hole LOL. Or we can glue on some wings, make it into the SHIELD carrier LOL LOL I kill myself

There is a model of the CVN-65 Enterprise upstairs at the NASM.

You know, I remember seeing that model, but I thought it was in one of the other buildings. I stand corrected. It should be the Air and Space and Some Ships Museum.

Good thing I wasn't losing my mind on the aircraft carrier. I did see a picture of the full scale Galileo fading in a back lot. With the SciFi show of that guy selling props, will this actually save props? The Forbidden Planet ship was found in a barn and was worth $20,000. :love

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back