The Dejarik Project (Table Finished)

Re: The Dejarik Project

Six shiny new aluminium table tops recently arrived from the machinist!

20150803_173307-1-1.jpg

Are you kidding me!? This is insane. One of the coolest builds I've seen to date on this site. Can't wait to see the final board!

After fiddling with cutting/polishing my own light disks, I finally caved and ordered some laser cut acrylic disks. They came this past week and after frosting the backs of the disks, they look just as I had hoped.

20150823_212511-1.jpg

You say that with such ease and confidence : 'This weekends project: Mold and cast the table top' ... love your craftsmanship though ... I'm utterly in awe :)

Chaim

Howl, it will cast in two parts, but I'll be binding them together with fiberglass/resin and patching the seam. I suppose if people want the raw bumpy half casts I could do that. But it makes sense to me just to ship the cleaned up & combined top in the same box as the playing surface, base ring and top support disk as those will likely all be able to fit inside the top for shipping.

Its been a very productive weekend.

I finished the mold, I'll be pulling a half tonight.
20150906_122640.jpg 20150906_211756.jpg

We also finally picked up "the tube" - Which is 14" (35.5cm) wide by 20' (6 meters) long. I should be able to get 9 table stands out of this thing.
20150907_105009.jpg

This is how we got it in the car.
20150907_121506.jpg

I'm very anxious to get a full table top put together, so I'll likely have it figured out this week.

Loads of progress over the past week! Still a very long way to go, but it's starting to look like something. The fiberglass tops have proven to be much more work than I anticipated... They come out of the mold a little wonky and need a huge amount of finishing work. I'll be looking into other casting solutions, and as crazy as it sounds we are looking into building a very large hand cranked rotocast machine to help us with this.

20150910_114805.jpg 20150914_090845.jpg

I needed to get out of the garage this past weekend, so I was able to tackle some "inside" projects. I bought a craft vinyl cutter that has made cutting out the playing surface and the key stickers SO much easier:

20150914_085702.jpg

I also toyed around with the augmented reality idea. At first I thought Starrfox1's idea was completely undo-able and out of my league, but 3D scanning and AR have been getting much more accessible lately and with enough time I think I might actually be able to make something work very well. The idea was most appealing because the movie scale of the holomosters makes playing the game a bit cramped, and some of my monsters are a bit fragile which isn't too practical for playing the game. I have a bit of a programming background as I am a web-application developer by trade, and I've tinkered with some (certainly amateur) phone applications. I'm thinking of using Unity3D, Vuforia and a VR headset (likely start with Google Cardboard) to make this a reality. How cool would it be to be able to pick up and move actual holographic 3D models around the table in virtual reality?!

Here is the result of my tinkering with a quick Monnok scan and some makers - this is using "AR-Media" which I found was a bit finicky, I'm hoping the Unity3D/Vuforia solution will be much more consistent and enjoyable.

aug reality.PNG

The AR thing is certainly not a priority at the moment, but I thought I would tease at it, as it is certainly possible.

A bit of augmented reality progress:

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you going to be offering kits/finished tables?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back