The Definitive Shang-Chi Thread

I was there I was senior prop maker on that show
Well first, AWESOME! Second, hand applied is absolute madness and I love it! Third, what am I seeing between the scales? What is the cross that pattern goes vertically between them and what is the rubbery surround?

I was there I was senior prop maker on that show
That's amazing! My original theory was that the pattern in between the scales were screenprinted and there was a guideline in the pattern for all the scales to be glued on afterwards. Could you corroborate or elaborate on this?

Well first, AWESOME! Second, hand applied is absolute madness and I love it! Third, what am I seeing between the scales? What is the cross that pattern goes vertically between them and what is the rubbery surround?
I can’t go in to detail as I did not see the fabric prior to application process, how ever I did see the scales being cast
there was a crew member who’s main job on the show was casting 100s of 1000s those scales and another persons job was glueing them on one by one,

I can’t go in to detail as I did not see the fabric prior to application process, how ever I did see the scales being cast
there was a crew member who’s main job on the show was casting 100s of 1000s those scales and another persons job was glueing them on one by one,
...F###.

Also kudos! Your work is amazing and it's awesome to have an actual honest to god primary source here to weigh in!!

For the most part, collars in the MCU can be attached to the shirt underneath. There really wouldn't be a reason to make it a third piece. It would honestly make the costume tie together less.

Whether talking Cap, or Captain Marvel, or Sam as Cap, or Night Monkey the three parts are Pants, Shirt, Vest. Pants and shirt then get zipped together. I'm not seeing anything that would require anything beyond those three.
Yeah I am with you. Marvel have a design language they have been using for nearly all their costumes since maybe Winter Soldier. Making the pants and shirt into a "1 piece" and then the vest on top. Technically the Cap suits were a jumpsuit then the vest on top, then the collar piece which went over the shoulders and a separate piece down the back of the costume to hide the zipper. And then all tied together with the leather shoulder harness.

I saw it at the weekend and I was looking to see if there was any obvious places for zippers as I imagine the vest closes in the back. But it was hard to tell. They may have different versions depending on the shot to maintain the illusion. Or it may be hidden zippers along the side.

In typical Marvel fashion it is a simple enough looking costume yet loaded with details.

that must have been so time consuming. Crazy effort.

Perhaps what we are seeing in between is a screen printed texture that they did to the base fabric, and perhaps that printed texture has a "roadmap" of sorts of were to glue the separate scales? So they were all evenly spaced. This could explain how they are all aligned and also have scales that have fallen off.

Prototype of my jacket, not yet finished:

IMG-20211101-WA0000.jpg

For the sake of completeness I wanted to point out Shang-Chi wears chinos during the bus scene.

Once he’s traveling he wears Levi’s jeans but these are just plain very slim black chinos. I was convinced they were joggers since they tuck so well into the shoes but you can see the plain non ribbed hems in these shots.

Attachments

• 5CFA9DF0-1468-4A52-9402-C0EA5E7449EC.png
    5CFA9DF0-1468-4A52-9402-C0EA5E7449EC.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 131
  • 5A33E1D2-37CC-4CC4-BA83-03EBBB3448CD.jpeg
    5A33E1D2-37CC-4CC4-BA83-03EBBB3448CD.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 139
Just to throw one more up to show another angle of the same thing, made it a lot brighter to see the details of the pants.
bright.jpg

Something I noticed, the collar on the bomber jacket appears to have actually been just sewn on short and then dyed/painted to match the fabric, hiding it.
collar detail.jpg

The little cutout is a photoshopped piece of the bottom cuff, showing the spacing. You can actually see part of the second white stripe turned blue.

That’s interesting, I wish we had someone from the production to say how much of these jackets were custom and how much weren’t because that makes me think they definitely used the ribbing from original alpha industry jackets.

That’s interesting, I wish we had someone from the production to say how much of these jackets were custom and how much weren’t because that makes me think they definitely used the ribbing from original alpha industry jackets.
I'm convinced that the jackets were 100% made from scratch, but the double stripe ribbing is way more common of a material so they probably just used only that, since it's the double stripe on the rest of the jacket.

I'm convinced that the jackets were 100% made from scratch, but the double stripe ribbing is way more common of a material so they probably just used only that, since it's the double stripe on the rest of the jacket.
Looking at the behind the scenes of him hanging off the bus in the post about the chinos, it looks like the jacket is cotton based. I would imagine this is maybe because the nylon might look strange or reflective under heavy studio lighting.

Looking at the behind the scenes of him hanging off the bus in the post about the chinos, it looks like the jacket is cotton based. I would imagine this is maybe because the nylon might look strange or reflective under heavy studio lighting.
Yep. I think multiple jackets for different lighting. They drape, crease, and reflect light differently. Possibly for higher durability in the high-action sequences, too.

Yep. I think multiple jackets for different lighting. They drape, crease, and reflect light differently. Possibly for higher durability in the high-action sequences, too.
Definitely. I bet you are right, the jackets were made in house for the movie based on the alpha industries jacket.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back