The Dark Knight mesh

LePaul

I've searched around The RPF and elsewhere, finding numerous good reads on what many think TDK suit contains for material.

One thread mentioned the use of Condura Fabric, which is very stiff. But from the samples I have of it (my friend is in the upholstery business), it does look like what may be under the mesh.

The mesh...I keep seeing various offerings here and on eBay. It appears what is in the neck may be different than in the body suit...just from my observations that the neck mesh seems to be "Sandwich Air Mesh bonded with Foam". That material is used in the automotive world for seats and such.

So I wonder, if condura is used under the mesh (not sure which type that is...light weight polyester knit mesh?)...what would you want under that?

I'm inquiring since my GCFX suit sags and I would love to re-do it with some better materials.

Also, I wanted to share that for I made a great find for something to wear under the mask that is think and helps with the sweating. Here's a link Its a very thin, lycra dive hood.

I look forward to hearing what other costumers think :)

Wow, no one has chimed in!
I received some of the neck material, which is indeed a foam like material.

I'm still hoping to find out more about the undersuit and armor. I noticed some use Under Armor or even lycra/dive suit like setups as the base of their suits.

Fun learning!

I'm working the same suit and have several ideas implant to try.
1st. I have a old sweater that looks almost exactly like the fabric needed but I'm worried. It will be too warm.
2nd. I was thinking under armor with black non skid drawer liner glued on. I have a few pieces laying around and it looks good from 5ft away.
I was planning to use upholstery spray adhesive, spraying one side or the nonskid and pulling it over the under armor.
Id only apply it to the areas that would be visable Iolanthe to do a test piece first.

There is 2 sizes of mesh 2mm and 4mm and the black fabric that was used to line the mesh all no longer made anymore

fd49f295fb5f0852ec58021d6219daa6_zps2d6c95b2.jpg
e382b62975c719163288dfe5a907a37a_zpsbc2a1e3c.jpg

Is that the thickness of the material or the size of the holes in the mesh?
I was able to get hold of some of the neck mesh from someone on eBay. Its very interesting stuff.

I'm really curious how they layered the suit

Base must've been some sort of very tight fitting body suit. Then, I'm wondering of the ribbed layer we see is that condura. Since its rigid stuff, I wonder how they used it for joints? Then, we see the mesh.

My GCFX armor sags from how it was adhered to the mesh/body suit. The body suit has too much stretch to it, thus my problems with sagging

Then I keep watching various movie clips from The Dark Knight Rises and wonder how to get the full armor (around the back)....

Intriguing puzzle!

The sizes are the thickness. And they used the same mesh fabric for neck as they did for the suit.
The suit had straps built in which went from waist up over shoulders taking the weight and keeping anything below the waist up plus the mesh doesn't have that great a movement reason why I think the under suit was made in panels.
I've had two types of suits made a standard suit same as wet suit and 2nd one made to production pattern and that one moves so much better but still needs the straps for weight of legs

Thanks for that
Going thru the images, I keep coming to the conclusion the chest piece was all one piece, like in Batman Begins.

What a beautifully complex suit!

Last edited:
So I was looking through the pictures you linked and spotted something very interesting....I wonder how the cape attaches to these spots I highlighted....

cape attach.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back