The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

CrowTeeRobot

I thought it might be a good idea, seeing as I'm working on a "The Dude" costume, and I'm sure others will be working on them as well, it seemms like a good idea to create a single thread to use as a resource and research to find certain items that El Duderino (If you're not into the whole brevity thing.) wore throughout the movie.

Of course we start off with the sunglasses, The Dude sports a pair of Vuarnet 003 frames with darker lenses than usually equipped with the frames.
The-Big-Lebowski_Jeff-Bridges_dressing-gown_CU.bmp2.jpg

Then we have that sweater, that oh so distinctive sweater. This is a cowichan style sweater that was made by Pendleton. These pop up all the time on ebay, but be prepared to spend often over $200. If you don't feel like spending that much, then do what I'm gonna do. Use this pattern, and hire someone to knit it for you, man. The Dude Sweater Pattern on Ravelry
The-Big-Lebowski_Jeff-Bridges_Cowichan-cardigan_front-drink-mid.bmp

The dude is often seen wearing Jellies Style sandals, a pvc clear sandal that is actually meant to be worn by women, but larger sizes will fit men comfortably. These sandals can be purchased here.http://www.lameduse.com/
The-Big-Lebowski_KB_Jeff-Bridges_jelly-shoes.bmp.jpg

The other kind of shoes that His Dudeness wears throughout the movies look to be a pair of Otomix martial arts training shoes, which can be found on various places around the web, and often show up on ebay.
weightlifting-pants.jpg

Another fun little piece you can pick up is The Dude's only form of identification, a Ralph's grocery store member card. You cn find a very nice replica for very cheap by searching for "lebowski ralphs card" on ebay.
images

Now I think that's a pretty good start for this thread, let's see if we can't flesh it out some more with information about his other articles of clothing, maybe the purple parachute pants he wears, what kind of bowling bag he carries,the brand of portable phone that the kidnappers call him on and any other little accoutrements that would greatly compliment this great character!

Last edited:
Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread

Thanks for posting that site about the sweater, I'm always looking for more about it. I need to find someone to knit one for me as well, if you come across anyone let me know. I seen one of those sweaters go for $500 on ebay a few weeks ago, it's crazy how much people will pay for the original sweater. I'd also like to know if there's a name on the back of the bowling shirt for the Dude team, anyone have any idea?

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Fun fact: The jellies were actually not part of the costume design. Jeff Bridges just wore them one day, and they went with it. They were actually his own shoes.

I went to the 7th Annual LebowskiFest in Louisville, KY a couple years back. I won the bowling competition.

1.jpg

The bigger bowling trophy is on my shelf at home.

2666455719_191538d4d0.jpg

Liam and me? We're gonna f*ck you up. (wearing the replica Japanese Softball Tee from this scene):

600full-the-big-lebowski-screenshot.jpg

According to my research, the rug was a medium or small sized ardakan/ardekan style persian rug. I'm planning on looking at some salvation army and other thrift shops and see if I can't find a close one.
image.axd

Guide to Ardekan Rugs and Carpets

Another note, it seems that The Dude is wearing a different kind of sandals in the opening scene in the supermarket, any ideas on what they are?
dude.jpg

This is my new favourite thread!

I've been wanting to do the supermarket costume for a fancy dress (preferably when the weather warms up), but I have not been able to find an accurate bathrobe/dressing gown! Actually, the shorts have also proved difficult to source something even close :(

I used to wear my robe to a bar down the street from my old house and I'd always order a white russian. Every time I walked in they'd say "A white russian for you sir?" it was nice. I wish they called me the dude though, that would of rocked.

This also makes me sad that I left my special edition The Big Lebowski DVD at an ex-girlfriends when we broke up... I miss that DVD :(

I think half the trouble with a SA costume here is a lot of The Dude's clothes were from Jeff Bridges' own wardrobe

*EDIT*

15313217492683P.JPG

hmm this looks close in my opinion... shame they don't ship international

Last edited:

They look like the cheapo Okabashi sandals you can get at Walgreens and the like: http://images.opentip.com/full/OKB/OKB-MILAN-M_2.jpg

Hmm, they look close, but no cigar. On further examination of reference photos, it appears that there is a split in the side of the sandals also. Does that help narrow it down at all?
the-dude.jpg

In the meantime, I think those obakashi sandals would make a great stand in, and for only $15, they're hard to beat.

@Vasago, what're the details on that robe you found, it looks perfect! Maybe the name itself could help us track down a similar style elsewhere.
And regarding the shorts, I simply went on ebay and searched for "checkered shorts" and find quite a few suitable, if not pretty darned close looking shorts that would fit the role perfectly.

Alright guys, I have a few more links to share here.

Thanks to Vasago it looks like we have a great source for a pretty darned close version of the Dude's robe. It's a Perry Ellis robe, and it's actually on clearance at Bed Bath & Beyond right now. I know I'll be going out to pick one up for myself this week.
Perry Ellis Portfolio Ultra Luxe Men's Shawl Collar Robe

15313217492683P.JPG

I also managed to track down the correct zipper style pull tab for the sweater if you're having one made for you. It's the ring one listed on this page, and can actually be seen on an original Pendleton sweater in MooCriket's post above. Fancy Schmantzy Slides For #5 METAL Zippers

img_var_trans.asp

I was also wondering if anyone had an opinion on these The Big Lebowski - Official "The Dude" Sunglasses

51h9P3kx-yL._SX342_.jpg

I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to pick up a pair to use with the costume, or would they be too crappy to use?

If you get someone to knit you the Pendleton, make sure you have a 1.5" ring pull, because YKK makes different sizes.

167194_10150101617728087_657498086_6253855_854111_n.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back