The Batman

I thought that was the point of this movie, that it's sort of a "Year One" story with Bruce still sorting out exactly how to be The Batman. Am I wrong?
yeah this is supposed to be Year One Batman so he is still new.

I definitely think this Batman might be the most armored of the Batmans given that we see in two separate scenes Battinson no sell bullets from handguns and machine guns at a pretty close range. They are shooting his chest/body most likely but the bullets seem to bounce off.

Batman is definitely like a Terminator in this movie, seeking vengeance and not giving a damn about anything else.

I definitely think this Batman might be the most armored of the Batmans given that we see in two separate scenes Battinson no sell bullets from handguns and machine guns at a pretty close range. They are shooting his chest/body most likely but the bullets seem to bounce off.

Yeah, they lose me there. The amount of lead thrown at Battinson in those shots should be cramping his style just from the kinetic energy alone.

yeah this is supposed to be Year One Batman so he is still new.

Batman is definitely like a Terminator in this movie, seeking vengeance and not giving a damn about anything else.

I've got vague memories of reading (possibly film novelisation or behind the scenes?) that one of the rationales behind the big black/yellow batman symbol on Keaton's suit was to act as a target, as people would naturally aim at it. The rest of the suit wasn't bulletproof (or was much less armoured), just the symbol or the chest piece. And fairly sure he does take a round point-blank in the chest in the 1989 film?

I've got vague memories of reading (possibly film novelisation or behind the scenes?) that one of the rationales behind the big black/yellow batman symbol on Keaton's suit was to act as a target, as people would naturally aim at it. The rest of the suit wasn't bulletproof (or was much less armoured), just the symbol or the chest piece. And fairly sure he does take a round point-blank in the chest in the 1989 film?
Yeah that is definitely canon and referenced in the Arkham Knight video game. The bug yellow symbol is meant to draw the eyes in so enemies would shoot his chest where the armor is thickest.

I do think Keaton Batman also took some shots to the chest but Batterson is shown getting shot at by at least two guys with machine guns fast enough that the muzzle flash lights up the room enough to show Batman. I dont think any of the other Batmans tanked gunfire to that extent.

These days you see Kevlar vests on everyday cops. I've seen them on security guards in shopping malls.

A Batman who cannot withstand a gunshot to the torso is simply not credible in the modern world. The guy is supposed to be leveled-up with James Bond gadgets.

I didn't like how tanky he was either. He should be able to take some shots but not a whole barrage. This is my issue the Mandalorian as well. When you're that invulnerable, it kills the tension.
That's one of the reasons why Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel created Kryptonite--if nothing could harm Superman there was no reason to be concerned whenever he fought the "Big Bad" of that story; invulnerability is boring.

Batman does need weaknesses, like any hero.

But a 21st-century Batman who doesn't make his suit resistant to small arms fire? That's just stupid. Implausible.

Personally, & I could be wrong, but I think Reeves could be making him a bit more 'overpowered' physically, because the way he's going to struggle is mentally. If that's where the main attack is focused, then that could be his main weakness.

Also, could it be that some of the more 'over the top' moments could be scenes of criminals recounting their experiences & their perceptions of THE BATMAN, instead of literally what actually happened?

Just to show us the reputation he has around Gotham & how he's building the legend of fear in a "superstitious & cowardly lot".

Personally, & I could be wrong, but I think Reeves could be making him a bit more 'overpowered' physically, because the way he's going to struggle is mentally. If that's where the main attack is focused, then that could be his main weakness.

Also, could it be that some of the more 'over the top' moments could be scenes of criminals recounting their experiences & their perceptions of THE BATMAN, instead of literally what actually happened?

Just to show us the reputation he has around Gotham & how he's building the legend of fear in a "superstitious & cowardly lot".
That is true. We are basing just off teasers and exploring Batman’s mental game is a relatively new concept for the movies. Wouldnt be the first time trailers put scenes in without proper context to mislead the audience.

Im no expert but I always thought kevlar could stop handgun bullets and only a few before the vest itself becomes unusable. Sure Batman isnt “wearing hockey pads” but tanking multiple bullets from at least 2 machine guns at around 1:30 in the trailer seemed to be more than what prevs Batmans could defend against. Not saying its a bad thing, just interesting.

That is true. We are basing just off teasers and exploring Batman’s mental game is a relatively new concept for the movies. Wouldnt be the first time trailers put scenes in without proper context to mislead the audience.

Im no expert but I always thought kevlar could stop handgun bullets and only a few before the vest itself becomes unusable. Sure Batman isnt “wearing hockey pads” but tanking multiple bullets from at least 2 machine guns at around 1:30 in the trailer seemed to be more than what prevs Batmans could defend against. Not saying its a bad thing, just interesting.
Yeah... I think Kevlar gets an inherent weak spot at the point of impact, so it'd have to be replaced, almost like a seatbelt or a car seat for a kid. If you're ever in a crash & the seatbelts or straps on a car seat come under the stress involved in a crash, they're supposed to be replaced.

But Kevlar is mostly use for soft body armor and pistol rounds, here it seems like Batman is wearing hard plates on his chest, AR500 steel by example can tank repeated rifles rounds for a while before failing.
Plate carriers using steel plates can resist multiple rounds with barely any impact.
It’s heavy though, but the Arkham games mention the use of titanium weaves material which doesn’t exist in real life AFAIK, but would not be too much of a stretch as an expensive, experimental material that is stronger than steel but lighter than it and somehow more flexible. Might even exist for real, it’s just that no defense contractor would develop body armor costing hundreds if not millions per soldier, while Batman could afford it.

Yeah... I think Kevlar gets an inherent weak spot at the point of impact, so it'd have to be replaced, almost like a seatbelt or a car seat for a kid. If you're ever in a crash & the seatbelts or straps on a car seat come under the stress involved in a crash, they're supposed to be replaced.

I would love this. One of my favorite Batman comics is "You Shoulda Seen Him" where three cops recount their sightings of Batman to each other and of course each account paints a different version of Batman. This story also got made into a great episode in the Animated Series. In the episode it's three kids relaying their stories of Batman rather than three cops.
But Kevlar is mostly use for soft body armor and pistol rounds, here it seems like Batman is wearing hard plates on his chest, AR500 steel by example can tank repeated rifles rounds for a while before failing.
Plate carriers using steel plates can resist multiple rounds with barely any impact.
It’s heavy though, but the Arkham games mention the use of titanium weaves material which doesn’t exist in real life AFAIK, but would not be too much of a stretch as an expensive, experimental material that is stronger than steel but lighter than it and somehow more flexible. Might even exist for real, it’s just that no defense contractor would develop body armor costing hundreds if not millions per soldier, while Batman could afford it.
I was re-watching that part trying to see what kind of guns the criminals had. They looked like submachine guns. So maybe he could withstand a barrage of pistol caliber fire? Like you said, it's Batman tech.

I would love this. One of my favorite Batman comics is "You Shoulda Seen Him" where three cops recount their sightings of Batman to each other and of course each account paints a different version of Batman. This story also got made into a great episode in the Animated Series. In the episode it's three kids relaying their stories of Batman rather than three cops.

I was re-watching that part trying to see what kind of guns the criminals had. They looked like submachine guns. So maybe he could withstand a barrage of pistol caliber fire? Like you said, it's Batman tech.
I had totally forgot about that episode. Thanks for the reminder.

Okay so this is really starting to peak my interest. I keep hearing that this is going to be more in line with a horror movie in a lot of respects and being a horror fan this intrigues me. For as much as I'm pretty tired of reboots and sequels Batman has enough history and depth that to my mind warrants different interpretations. Even the Animated Series captured wildly different story arcs and character examinations that at least the early volumes never felt stale and always had some new avenue to explore. I've been happily surprised that the films have understood this breadth of interpretation, even if certain installments failed.

This new trailer looks promising and the more I see the more I'm willing to give it a shot. Had this been a direct tie in to the other iterations I would have likely ignored it because since Afterlife I'm pretty much sworn off of any passing the torch, sequel, prequel types of movies.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back