The Batman

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Vivek, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nexus6 likes this.
  3. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Ben Affleck directing standalone Batman movie

Imagine an actor you hate to look at.and can't abide. Surely you all have one, or more as the case is with me.
    Now imagine him cast as one of your favorite characters and now hearing creative control too?

As Dirty Harry used to say.... swell.

brandomack likes this.
  4. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Ben Affleck directing standalone Batman movie

I really enjoy his directing. Argo and The Town were solid flicks.

IronhLLde and Nexus6 like this.
  5. CessnaDriver

Re: New Batman Standalone Film

Well I envy Batman fans that are also Affleck fans. Must feel like Christmas.
    I guess I got some years to wait. Though one thing about Batman, it's never all that long
    until the next incarnation.

brandomack likes this.
  6. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't know what your beef with Affleck is, but you should give him a chance. This is an Academy award winner who is also a huge fan of Batman. He's always wanted to play this part and takes it seriously. He's got the talent and the clout in Hollywood to make sure its done right. It could still end up being a stinker. So many things go into making a movie. Like jcoffman said, he's already done the starring\directing thing twice and both times did a pretty * good job. I have more hope for this than I do BvS.

George likes this.
  7. CessnaDriver

It's like this.
    Whatever quality there is about a person that makes it pleasurable to watch them perform, there is an opposite to that for me too.
    Cruise and DeCaprio are a couple others I simply can't stand to watch. I just can't stand them. That's emotional and it's simply
    not gotten over by knowing that they got industry awards or whatever. It's a major miracle I've let Damon get a chance with me.
    All my friends just groaned when they heard Batfleck, so I know it's not just me.

8. AJTaliesen

AJTaliesen Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Everyone has their stars that annoy them. There doesn't have to be a reason. Although, sometimes they can win you over. Cruise used to be the top of my "he-sucks" list. But after about the fourth time he starred in a movie that I ended up liking in spite of myself, I had to take him off the list.

DiCaprio I do like, but I also don't seem to see him the same way most do, since I think some of his biggest roles were actually badly miscast. (I'm looking at you Titanic). I think there are certain roles he's absolutely perfect for, it's just that only about half the parts he actually plays fit.

Affleck I like as an actor, and I'll give him a chance, but I also don't have as much faith in his sense of taste as others here do. There's no pretending that he hasn't said yes to his share of stinkers as well.

9. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Sr Member

Yeah, same here. Most of my friends uttered a collective "wtf" when he was announced. This Batman v Superman thing looks horrible, judging from the trailer anyways.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  10. CessnaDriver

Another thing I've been hoping for is evolution on Batman film front as well so this Affleck stuff sort of kills it right away.
    The step to bring it home. Nolan started something but it fell short.
    No more armor, he doesn't need it anymore, I hoped in Rise that he would ditch it at some point.
    That he simply is THAT good. He is The Batman.
    So if they were starting again I thought why not?
    Who can actually fill out the suit and look like what I've seen in the comics forever.
    Granted that will be a body builder first, actor second. I always get flak for saying that, but Batman
    really looks huge, and there are men who can fill that costume and I'm certain can act just as well.
    Secondly "the one rule". Never, EVER gets broken no matter what. Batman always finds a way.
    Nolan disappointed me with the Two Face death that I just pretend he survived to return someday.
    On some other fronts a Batmobile that actually is on the sports car side.
    I've loved the tumbler and others but that really hasn't happened since the Keatonmobile.

Ultimately I'm talking about comic to screen unlike anything seen before.
    Well Mask of the Phantasm was great, but of course not live action.

11. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

You've just named two of my least favorite actors; if they're in a movie, it's usually a deal-breaker for me. I have enjoyed Cruise in two or three movies (Edge of Tomorrow comes to mind as one example, maybe because his character got killed repeatedly :D), but he's one of those actors who plays every character the same way. That's fine if you like the actor, not so much if you don't. With DiCaprio, for me it was simple burnout--for a while there it seemed like he was in every movie being made, and I just got tired of him.

I'm not sure I'd use "sports car" and "Keatonmobile" in the same sentence. As I understand it, the long wheelbase and driver's position being so far rearward made it very difficult to drive. Also, it wasn't particularly speedy. It could reach a decent top speed, but it took a while to get there. They had to "speed up" the film in the movies in certain scenes because they couldn't get it to go fast enough within the limited filming spaces.

Back to Ben Affleck, he's "hit and miss" with me; good in some movies, not as good in others. I'm hoping he'll do well enough in Batman vs. Superman to silence most of the naysayers, but I know some people dislike him so much that his performance could be Oscar-worthy and they'd still have nothing good to say about him. Of course, it they're right and he's really wrong for the part all of their current plans could go right down the toilet. Time will tell.

12. CessnaDriver

Understood the actual Keatonmobile was a dog.
    But looks wise it invoked jet powered Vette qualities.
    I was teased again by Nolan with the Lamborghini, hmm foreshadowing for
    the next Batmobile I thought. Denied!! Argghhhhhhh Charlie Brown scream.
    [/h]

13. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

I agree, it's a wonderful design visually, and versatile--you could almost drop it into any era in the Batman story, and it would look right at home.

Riceball likes this.
  14. bwayne64

bwayne64 Well-Known Member

That is too funny, LOL.

15. Dreddful

Dreddful Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I like Affleck. I think he's gonna knock it out of the park.

16. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nexus6 likes this.
  17. Simpson77

Simpson77 Well-Known Member

Will just keep my fingers crossed. I have to say I thought Ben did great as Batman in BvS, infact I thought the Batman scenes were the best parts of the whole movie.

18. drcraig13

drcraig13 Sr Member

I have to admit I am not a huge Affleck fan. However I think I will have a more positive attitude about it moving forward after seeing his adaptation in BvsS. I will be even more excited if Jeremy Irons is still Alfred. I thought he gave a great performance and I thought him and Affleck had nice chemistry together as well.

19. CessnaDriver

Curious if the killing will continue. Or can they start fresh?

20. third3ye

third3ye Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So are Affleck and Terrio not on speaking terms after BvS? :lol J/k (sorta), Terrio's probably busy with JL.

gizmo likes this.
  21. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

I haven't seen the film yet but Affleck's Batman seems to be considered one of the bright spots of the movie. Maybe he really nails it.

22. Dreddful

Written...starring...and directed by Affleck???

[​IMG]

23. batguy

batguy Sr Member

Remember Tom Cruise in Valkyrie?

No matter how good the movie was. No matter how good his acting was. No matter how much he even physically resembled the real guy - it was still Tom Cruise playing that role, and that hurt the movie for a lot of people.

Same with Affleck as Batman.

I'm really surprised that Warner Bros even gave Affleck a shot at it. I don't know ANYONE who didn't roll their eyes when they found out he had been cast.

24. Dreddful

I didn't roll my eyes. I thought it was genius casting. And I was right. I forgot it was Ben Affleck, I felt like I was looking at Bruce Wayne and Batman.

Funky likes this.
  25. JD

JD Master Member

Batman Affleck movie - confirmed

I've long been a champion of Affleck's Batman (check the early days of the Batman v Superman thread). Many have praised Affleck's Batman in an otherwise not-so-well received debut. But, it appears to be official - we're getting an Affleck Bat flick....

http://batman-news.com/2016/04/12/warner-bros-ceo-confirms-ben-affleck-batman-movie/

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  26. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

Re: Batman Affleck movie - confirmed

This movie can't come fast enough. With the subtraction of Snyder, I already have higher hopes for this than everything else in DCs live action line-up.

Ben's portrayal of the Bat has been perfect for me.. Like Ryan Reynolds is Deadpool, he is the Batman.

Nexus6, Usagi Pilgrim and JD like this.
  27. ultraman

ultraman Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

if he was smart he'd make either frank miller's the dark knight returns or the killing joke.

28. JD

JD Master Member

I disagree - while both are amazing and iconic. I don't think Dark Knight Returns would work...

I'd go for The Long Halloween (...and if they must, somehow adding more Joker and some Death in the Family elements).

matty matt and Usagi Pilgrim like this.
  29. Mektar

Mektar Well-Known Member

Aslong as they dont do as in BvS and take too many stories in one. Red hood storyline would actually be nice considering we have a joker and the damaged suit that was also shown in the cave. Agree tho that dark knight returns isnt really something i would want especially considering Snyder already loves and used parts of it in BvS.

30. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

I'd love to see Court of Owls elements in there. Psychological torture, investigation into the history of Gotham, really fleshing out the city on screen. Talon would be absolutely sick action on screen, it's sort of a dark story line so it fits in with the DCEU tone, could be set well before Superman appears battling Zod so we have a Batman who isnt on the edge of killing but is headed down that path due to the torture elements etc. Talons are also essentially unkillable in certain circumstances, so it gives a little bit of freedom with the action.

Through young bruce investigating the court of owls, we get some more young bruce development on screen aswell.

The armoured batsuit's origins could start in this film also, with a call to help from the bat family could be answered - a nice introduction to Jason or Dick, or perhaps both. Having a film with Jason alive for all of it nicely sets up for his later death with the suit in the cave etc.

Only problem with all of this, is Affleck is 43 I think? And at the time of filming this if we assume it releases in 2018, it'll film in 2017, so he'll be 44 at time of filming. BvS keeps that age about consistent. Can he effectively play a 33/34 year old, if 10 years previous is when Jason is killed? Possibly.

31. JD

JD Master Member

Nexus6 likes this.
  32. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

If Warner doesn't interfere with Affleck (e.g. "You have to add other JLA characters.") then this could be their first big break. Advice to WB - don't interfere and let Ben have his way.

Axlotl, Riceball and Mektar like this.
  33. teragon

teragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Would love a Court of Owl adaptation, and it would definitely give Wilkinson a chance to shine on the costume dept. with the Talons !
    I'm sure Affleck can pull a man in his early 30's, make up can do that with a little CG enhancement if needed. They'd need another version of the batsuit though I think, leaner and a bit less muscular perhaps. And with less wear and tear probably.

34. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

He'll definitely have to link in to the shared universe, but I wouldn't mind if it was minimal. It could even be his first run in with a young Amanda Waller, an early version of Cadmus where they are only just starting to experiment on humans to attempt "normal things" like enhanced healing or something.

Wayne Tech/Enterprises could also be developing certain things, perhaps a basic tie in with Kord industries, where we meet an enthusiastic younger Ted Kord? No actual suit or beetle yet, just a nice tie in.

35. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

Yeah I can't see it being too big of an issue. Affleck has been aged up slightly with the grey hair etc so that mid 40's actually feels a bit older in this universe. So mid 30's as a crime fighter, we would expect him to be grizzled in the way that Cavill is a clean looking ageless kind of mid 30's.

I think Affleck might prefer a thinner batman, as reading a few interviews I think it was a hell of a challenge to keep that size. He'd still be imposing at his normal size with just a lean figure, he's like 6'3/4?

I'm trying to think of what kind of villain Affleck would prefer to write about, and the riddler keeps popping up. Imagine how good it would be, a well written, genius level riddler would put his detective skills to the test, would keep the need for mindless violence down, some of the big set pieces could be traps and ambushes etc rather than an all out brawl.

36. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

I'd love a cat and mouse thriller. Think Silence of the Lambs but with Batman. It won't happen but I think it could be great.

Fawbish likes this.
  37. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

In order to distance itself from BvS I honestly believe it should NOT try to shoehorn other JLA members. Give Batman a chance to breathe and redefine himself in his own world of Gotham. Just do a straight up Batman story.
    If WB pressures Affleck to, say, bring in WW just because she tested well in BvS then it's really going to cripple the film.

Westies14 and Riceball like this.
  38. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

I don't think they'll force anything as obvious as that - if it's set before MoS then we won't need to worry about that I would think, and they will probably expand the DCEU by introducing some of Bat's characters. A hint of Catwoman maybe (not certain that's wise like) - Azrael? Possibly a little too fantastical, though no more than Court of Owls I suppose. Badass costume though. Personally I'd like to see him in a story where the stakes are simply someone's life, not the world or the city or a hundred people. Maybe just one family etc. But then it becomes a simple adbuction scenario which isnt good enough either. I still keep getting drawn back to the Riddler done seriously.

I don't think we will see the Joker, Bane or Two-face in the standalone film. It's too much like going over recent ground I think. Though to be fair, a full movie of Affleck vs Leto. Killing Joke in real life? An adapted Red Hood story line where Batman does snap, use lethal force, and "kill" the joker - joker would survive with help but refuses help and snaps his own neck? (and survives? haha there's quite a few things to take into account)

What story would you like to see brought to the screen? Or would you prefer it to be an original story?

Riceball likes this.
  39. Dreddful

It'd be fun to see something along the lines of the Arkham Knight video game.

40. harrisonp

harrisonp Well-Known Member

I just want the movie to open mid detective case, and have Bruce tracking a string of murders across the city, finally leading him to Professor Pyg. who he would quickly dispatch. It could set a cool tone for the larger film to follow. If that start led to a story with a sweltering Gotham summer as the backdrop they could do a lot of interesting things. We've seen cold snowy Gotham, but something about crime while the citizens try to battle the heat really grabs my interest. Not sure if it would be a prequel or not, but Jason is a logical antagonist to pit Bruce against, while also letting them use characters like the Gotham crime families and Black mask, as the Red Hood takes them out during his rise.

Inquisitor Peregrinus likes this.
  41. batguy

batguy Sr Member

Affleck/Batman and Leto/Joker both exist just to have their big summer-tentpole showdown. It's obvious. The only question is how many movies will DC use to build each one up before they do it.

I wouldn't be surprised if planning for the next Batman-vs-Joker is what caused DC to fund Suicide Squad and BvS in the first place.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  42. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

i want red hood story line nothing else just a hard hitting story about Jaso Todd Joker would be needed but not too much and we could be introduced to black mask and maybe a few other charecters all running scared from the new crime boss

43. crazypropgeek1

crazypropgeek1 New Member

Yep under the red hood would be an amazing movie to adapt. However I think it may be an arkham asylum sorta thing where leto's joker has joe mangenello's deathstroke and maybe black mask and a few other characters, harley, bane, maybe mad hatter to lead ol' bats to a final showdown on the docks or heck even arkham itself!

I would adore this movie.
    So much.... lol
    #Fanboying:)

44. bwayne64

Leto should never be let near any DC characters. He sucks not just as an actor but as a person. What a d@#$he!

45. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I honestly can't say I've ever seen anything else he has been in. Before Suicide Squad I didn't know him from Adam. I didn't have a problem with his Joker.

I usually just try to not let an actor's personal life or politics get in my way of deciding if I like them in a role or not--and that is REALLY hard with Tom Cruise. I personally know someone whose life was just wrecked by that Scientology crap, so maybe I'm jaded, but I will never watch another Tom Cruise movie.

46. bwayne64

Yea , I think it was all the stuff Leto pulled during filming that cinched it with me. I already didn't like the look of him as the Joker. Of course I like the tall skinny comic Joker, ;-) I was pleasantly surprised by Heath Ledgers take on him. I mean how can you not like all the great lines. I wasn't expecting to like it at all. Leto is a whole different level of suck. He looks horrible and acts even worse. That line " if you weren't so crazy I'd think you were insane " , what ! Oh well everybody has different tastes. Its just an opinion. And we know what they say about those ;-)
    Cheers,

Joe

P.S. To me this is the Joker !

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/50806302016834135/

Riceball likes this.
  47. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

If I had any control over DC, I'd have The Batman open with Leto's Joker very unceremoniously killed off by the REAL Joker... played by David Harbour.

The sheriff from Stranger Things, you say?
    Ok, ok. Hear me out.

A friend posted this comparison and I absolutely agree.. the dude NAILS the look of the Alex Ross Joker. He is big enough to go hand to hand with Batman, is a fantastic ACTOR, and has a great voice. My biggest problem with the Leto Joker.. a side from horrible acting.. is he is a toothpick. Ben Affleck's Batman literally kills people by punching them through floors. Leto's Joker better get on some Bane level roids if he intends to get anywhere near Batfleck.

David would have a much more intimidating and realistic presence.. at least I think so anyways. I wonder how well he can play crazy.
    IMG_4099.JPG

Feraud and Riceball like this.
  48. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Wasn't Ross's Joker just a version of the Nicholson joker? But yeah, if you're going that route I could see this guy doing it, maybe.

That's some of the problem with these comic book characters. There have already been so many incarnations of them, you could never please everyone.

49. JD

JD Master Member

50. teragon

teragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think it's for the best, given that directing and acting are both full time jobs, and I don't think you can do both at 100%. Especially not on a big film like this.... But it all depends on who they choose now.