The Batman

That Penguin pic confirms my feeling that the Colin Farrell casting makes no sense. They could have just hired an old heavy guy for 1/10th the price. The world is full of very good actors who are struggling for work because they don't look like Colin Farrell.
Ture, but name recognition has been something Hollywood has banked ever since movie stars became a thing. All of the major studios like pushing for big named actors in their movies hoping to bring in people to watch their movie because of who's in the movie and not just because the movie's plot sounds good.

Ture, but name recognition has been something Hollywood has banked ever since movie stars became a thing. All of the major studios like pushing for big named actors in their movies hoping to bring in people to watch their movie because of who's in the movie and not just because the movie's plot sounds good.
That has only worked on exceedingly rarely with me. If the story draws me in, i'm in regardless of who the actor(s) is/are. I don't know that i have anyone that equates to 'i'm in'.

I think that actor thing is part of the creativity problem. 'Who cares about the story, we've got <insert name here>!! People love that guy, they'll fork it over to watch him in a dud!'

The name recognition is most likely why they hired Farrell. And he probably wanted to do it. Playing a Batman villain is a highly-prized role for big actors nowadays.

It's still a waste of money IMO. I doubt that his name alone, without his face, will sell many tickets.

Not that Warner Bros will mind the bill much. It's a major Batman movie. Very few actors cost enough to make the studio even flinch these days. They would pay Dwayne Johnson to play Alfred if they thought it would help the movie's buzz.

The right actor can make a difference. Heath Ledger is an obvious example. Assuming Ferrell put in a good test performance if he even did that, it would be worth the extra premium.

What I don't get is when they hire big name actors to voice animated characters. That never made sense to me. But that's neither here nor there :).

I don't know; I find big name stars for animated shows/movies is entirely dependent. For example, the Harley Quinn cartoon is loaded with famous voices, and a lot of them are voicing character not in their wheelhouse of casting (in general) and they all knock it out of the park.

The right actor can make a difference. Heath Ledger is an obvious example. Assuming Ferrell put in a good test performance if he even did that, it would be worth the extra premium.

Heath Ledger's face/body was good raw material for the role. They might have still chosen somebody like him even if they were going with an unknown actor and didn't have any limitations.

Farrell's face/body is a pure drawback for the Penguin. They have to work around it.

I'm not saying Farrell won't nail it. But I'm saying it was probably a waste of resources even if he does nail it. That money could have been used somewhere else in the movie.

I don't know; I find big name stars for animated shows/movies is entirely dependent. For example, the Harley Quinn cartoon is loaded with famous voices, and a lot of them are voicing character not in their wheelhouse of casting (in general) and they all knock it out of the park.
No you're right. When it's an actor that fits the character it definitely works. Robin Williams as the Genie. Hanks and Allen were perfect in Toy Story. But it seems a lot of times they pick big name actors based solely on name recognition that don't fit their characters. Just to be clear I'm not talking about the great character actors like the kinds that we saw(heard) in so many Disney movies. Just the big name actors that don't fit.

The funniest was the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie from 2009. It had Christina Applegate, Amy Poeler, Anna Farris (who were all fairly big at the time) but their voices were modulated so it's not like it mattered that it was them lol.
Heath Ledger's face/body was good raw material for the role. They might have still chosen somebody like him even if they were going with an unknown actor and didn't have any limitations.

Farrell's face/body is a pure drawback for the Penguin. They have to work around it.

I'm not saying Farrell won't nail it. But I'm saying it was probably a waste of resources even if he does nail it. That money could have been used somewhere else in the movie.
Yeah you might be right. I was never a big Colin Farrell fan to be honest. We shall see.

Agreed, but for me, it's more about if the actor has a distinct enough voice where you can recognize them by their voice alone That, or if the actor has an unremarkable voice but is willing to actually create a distinct voice for their character and not simply use their normal voice for the role.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Gerard Butler would make a great Batman. And I've been wearing the cape since I was five, ; )

This is Gotham !

12134cbf632c0cf9861d42946fc35711.jpg

Minus the beard of course !

Last edited:
Colin as "Oz" will only be featured in 2 or 3 scenes, 1 at a funeral, 1 at some sort of mob execution, and a Batmobile chase. They say its more of a setup/introduction than cramming all kinds of characters into the entire film.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Gerard Butler would make a great Batman. And I've been wearing the cape since I was five, ; )

This is Gotham !

View attachment 1490432

Minus the beard of course !
I like Gerard Butler and think he'd make a good Bruce Wayne/Batman in a perfect world, but a) I don't think he has maintained that physique, and b) I don't find his American accent completely convincing; his Scottish accent slips out regularly. Of course, both of these "issues" could be resolved with a little work and help if they ever decide to go with an older Wayne. On the other hand, a lot of people seem happy with this Pattinson kid, so...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back