The Batman - The Riddler costume help

So I got the jacket in. I bought an original instead of the repro. It was my first time trying to ID anything so I was prepared to be wrong but every detail seems to match up to all the stills and screencaps. Pretty sure this is the right one, might hit it with some dye to get the green more saturated but I'm not sure if that's a color grading thing or not.

View attachment 1538520

The "cold weather" mask is another story. I was hoping to just alter it but it's absolute crap, incredibly cheaply made, and possibly the least comfortable thing I've squeezed on my head. I think I'll take it apart and try to use it as a base for a pattern. Does anyone have any idea what weight leather would be used to make a mask like that? OR maybe it's vinyl.
Is your cold weather mask Army issue? I'm going to post a pic of mine close up, and I'd like to see yours closer if possible, please. I think the Army mask wasn't used as -is. Or is that obvious? :)

Last edited:
Is your cold weather mask Army issue? I'm going to post a pic of mine close up, and I'd like to see yours closer if possible, please. I think the Army mask wasn't used as -is. Or is that obvious? :)
Yeh the mask definitely isn’t as issued.

You can tell straight away by the lack of button snaps on the nose and mouth piece. The mouth piece itself is a different shape. Also the strapping is actually sewn underneath the outer layer on the Riddler’s mask not on the top like the original. The darts sewn in around the top of the face are also much neater than on the repro.

Yeh the mask definitely isn’t as issued.

You can tell straight away by the lack of button snaps on the nose and mouth piece. The mouth piece itself is a different shape. Also the strapping is actually sewn underneath the outer layer on the Riddler’s mask not on the top like the original. The darts sewn in around the top of the face are also much neater than on the repro.

Definitely! I bought a couple of the cold weather masks and they are cheap to say the least. I'm sure the costume department was going for a "just grabbed from the army surplus store" kind of vibe with the costume....but the mask is clearly custom made.

The hood he's wearing underneath the mask looks like a hood used mainly for CSIs/forensic examiners for a crime scene.

Maybe the film is going to go with that direction for Riddler?
I agree. I think it's a bouffant hood to prevent leaving any trace evidence at the crime scenes. He's also wearing latex gloves in the costume reveal. Very "Zodiac". Personally, I think he's wearing a variation of this kind of hood:

gdq2gz3segi81.jpeg
lvk1m2cq7hi81.jpeg
FL02u_1X0AQR1Fn.jpeg
riddler-front.jpeg
a3ivy0l29ii81.jpeg

Those boots are fantastic....I'd love to ID those.

Did a quick and dirty test run of my pieces. They look pretty good.

Those boots are fantastic....I'd love to ID those.

Did a quick and dirty test run of my pieces. They look pretty good.

They're US Vietnam-era jungle boots. It's funny, I bought a pair thinking they'd make good placeholders in my Riddler costume until we got some reference and I'm shocked they actually used the same ones.

IMG-5470.jpg

Here's a poster that shows the texture of the mask well.

FKhgIwXVUAAL-Ww.jpg

No joke?

That poster is cool AF...was in Times Square yesterday, rounded a corner and BAM...there he was. 50' high.

I think those boots were also ID'd as the Michael boots in Halloween 1. If not, a very similar version.
They are the Halloween 1 Myers boots, yes.

As somebody who collects Myers stuff, the repros for these jungle boots tend to smell like gasoline. I'd suggest buying an original pair if possible.

I’ve been researching this costume too. I sourced a repro German Parker and have been ageing it. The parka isn’t as green in person. I’ve been spraying into it with green airbrushing paints as well as mixtures of brown and black and sanding it back. It’s starting to look better:

He seems to be wearing a transparent forensic suit or some form of transparent PPE under the hoody. His gloves appear to be latex or nitrile.

Also the mask, I think the mask is actually waxed canvas. If you zoom in, you can almost see the weave in the highlights. It’s definitely not leather nor that crappy vinyl on the repro mask. I’ve bought one that I’m going to take apart and use to make a pattern from.
Any chance you've remade the mask/pattern??

I was watching the new batman movie yesterday and found these items for the costume afterwards:
Not 100% accurate, but close enough for what I could find in 24 hours

MASK ( custom made by this guy and only one for sale )

JACKET

GLASSES

CARPET TUCKER

GAFFATAPE AND CLINGFILM
you should have that at home.

Happy hunting!

I snuck these shots in tonight on my fourth viewing. After a brief search I came up with nothin. I didn’t look very hard, but it’s possible that it’s custom.

Attachments

• 95DB90E7-D722-4714-9B44-1B5F6C11F13F.jpeg
    95DB90E7-D722-4714-9B44-1B5F6C11F13F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 221
  • 8E4E0663-34C1-491A-8D8D-B0DA9539BB11.png
    8E4E0663-34C1-491A-8D8D-B0DA9539BB11.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 201
since it’s been determined that they didn’t use a genuine cold weather mask, does anyone know what specific material they used?
Mine is just about finished, just stitching the loops of the straps in place. If anyone is interested I'll post some pics.
and also when you finish would it be possible for you to post a template of the real mask?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back