The ALIENS M240 Incinerator

morganthirteen

Sr Member
Some of you with long memories may remember when I first offered this replica over a decade ago. I put it to rest around 2006 but always wanted to get back to it and correct a few things I couldn't live with.

I finally did.

Originally, I cast the grip, carry handle, and rear hose attachment as separate pieces. This time I thought it would make the thing much easier to put together if those pieces were cast already on the main body...I also filled in the top of the carry handle and made it solid (which is screen accurate). That made it all the more sturdy. I made only a few minor changes to the details on either side of the piece. Those were still looking pretty good.

Once molded, I knew I had to make a few changes in the way I cast it. I started by print coating the more detail heavy areas, and then poured solid resin into the carry handle, rear hose fitting, and grip parts of the mold. The grip has an .09 aluminum shim cast into the area where it meets the body to reinforce it, as I narrowed the width of the grip about an 1/8 of an inch, also to make it screen accurate. The rest of the body is then rotocast and foam filled. Special Thanks go to Harry Harris, who once again came through with some amazingly helpful reference!

379824_2577564562959_1369711150_2897431_1195966152_n.jpg

Harry's biggest contribution was undoubtably the loan of the same style of hose fitting used on the originals. Here's a great shot of the first pull that shows all it's glorious details...

DSCN1162.jpg

The other big improvement was the addition of screen accurate sling mounts, that I had machined up and are cast in the upper areas of the main body. I superglued resin stand-ins when molding the piece, and then inserted the aluminum ones into the molds. I bend the legs on them, and then those legs are captured by the resin. You can see them here (with some gray primer on them)...

DSCN1169.jpg

I did completely rebuild the fuel cannister. That needed a total overhaul. The new one is of of course much more accurate to the screen used ones. As before, this is rotocast and foam filled and is affixed to the underside by a screw top I took off a 20 oz. soda bottle. The cap is in the body.

043.jpg

Finally, I was able to find a great tint from Smooth-On that allows me to make the resin a very dark gray. I'm very happy with it. I only added a super light coat of Duplicolor Hot Rod Gray Primer on this piece once I cleaned it up a little, and I'm hard pressed to see the difference between it and the unprimed resin...

DSCN1166.jpg

Here's a right profile. You can see some tiny airbubbles on the upper cone of the cannister. I have to pre-fill them with resin so that doesn't happen again...

DSCN1167.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Shawn

Great work as usual, Shawn. You know Steve and I are just begging for you to do the one from the first movie!

Damn, that's a thing of beauty :love. I always regret every time I've missed an opportunity to get one.

Maybe we'll see a resurgence of the kit :love?

-Fred

Thanks, guys. Funky, that A L I E N flamer is right around the corner!

And Fred, there will be a thread in the appropriate forum later tonight...

I had no idea the grip was that thin. Wow. Still learning after all these years. :)

And as usual, your work is cleaner than machined and buffed aluminum. Just flat out awe inspiring.

Beautiful work. For a long time, the flame thrower has always kinda been on the edge of my radar for some reason but this update puts it firmly in my sights again. There are not that many new weapon props to get excited about these days so when an older one gets an update like this it's really nice.

So I guess the big question is- will it stand up to being duct-taped to a PR?

Looks awesome! Everytime you post I'm always in awe.
So.... With this off your plate... Does this mean you might be moving on to the Valmet?

You're all very kind, thank you. Praise from one's peers always means the most.

I know previous collectors haven't "taped" the two together, but they have been strapped together before without too much trouble. lol I'll mention that I'm having a custom paint made to match the Matsuo Pulse Rifle I have so that the two look to come from the same universe.

Dean, I have two other A L I E N props that are next (and another from PROMETHEUS) that'll arrive first, but that Valmet will happen before Fall!

Custom paint? Does that mean the paint isn't available on the market, or that you'll paint it in non-screen accurate colors? Either way, I can't wait to see it fully painted!

I have to re-watch the movie, but when they are taped together, do both weapons have slings? Would the slings be the same or different for each weapon?

Ah,yes. Brown Bess. As it happens (and there are far more informed people than me on this subject), the original props were painted with a paint made by Humbrol called "Brown Bess". When I first offered the flamed kits I had a little stockpile that worked out pretty well. Of course that's all gone now, and I don't believe even Matsuo uses it anymore, but rather a special blend he's made that looks even better (IMO). I have one of his exquisite PR's, and I'm using that color on any incinerators I finish to make sure they match. Matt will tell you firsthand that paint companies routinely alter colors for any number of reasons without explanation. It doesn't really affect me, because I just want my Flamer to match his Pulse Rifle. That just makes sense to me.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back