The 4K AND 3d Thread...

Re: The 4K Thread...

:wacko
No.
4K is a fixed resolution.
Any given resolution has a specific number of pixels.
So either it is 4K, or it isn't 4K.

3840x2160 = 8 294 400 pixels
4K = 9 437 184 pixels

I bet your TV isn't actually 4K. And most so called 4K movies released are 2160p, not 4K. The Martian is NOT a true 4K movie. Shot in 5K, visual effects are 2K.

Nope/possibly. Depends what film/who converted it.

Titanic 3D - nope
Predator 3D - HELL YES. They turned the actors into wax figures with all the DNR.

If you read correctly I wrote "correct amount of pixels to call it a 4K" basically they make very cheap panels with proper amount of pixels to 4K specifics but doesn't mean all 4k tvs are the same quality, yes same number of pixels but not same picture quality, higher end 4K tv perform much better, you get what you pay for!

My tv is not a true 4K but accepts 4k signal at the fraction of the cost and is better than most real 4k tv because of the quatron and revelation chip technology and like the very high models its made in JAPAN and THX certified, the price I paid for my Sharp Aquos quatron 80" you would need to pay twice a much to get a 80" 4K tv today, and to be honest at 9 feet away you can't see the difference because I'm close to 4K amount of pixels, this is by far the best tv for price without breaking the bank and still enjoy 4K. yes size matters for me :) I had a 65" and had to go even bigger next tv will even be bigger and to top it off its 3D, amazing matching AVATAR on this set.

Last edited:

If you read correctly I wrote "correct amount of pixels to call it a 4K" basically they make very cheap panels with proper amount of pixels to 4K specifics but doesn't mean all 4k tvs are the same quality, yes same number of pixels but not same picture quality, higher end 4K tv perform much better, you get what you pay for!

:lol
If that is what you meant, then you could say that about every TV more or less. Take 8 different 1080p TVs, they will have different "quality", refresh rate, contrast, this and that ;)

My tv is not a true 4K but accepts 4k signal at the fraction of the cost and is better than most real 4k tv because of the quatron and revelation chip technology and like the very high models its made in JAPAN and THX certified, the price I paid for my Sharp Aquos quatron 80" you would need to pay twice a much to get a 80" 4K tv today, and to be honest at 9 feet away you can't see the difference because I'm close to 4K amount of pixels, this is by far the best tv for price without breaking the bank and still enjoy 4K. yes size matters for me :) I had a 65" and had to go even bigger next tv will even be bigger and to top it off its 3D, amazing matching AVATAR on this set.

If I had a 80 inch TV, it would probably feel a bit like having an entire wall for a TV. Way too big for my lil' home. I'm quite happy with my 32", want to upgrade to a 42" though.
But I'm guessing your TV still displays 3D in 1080p, because as far as I know there aren't any, or at least very few 3D TVs(with UHD support) that display 3D in anything higher than 1080p :unsure

I have only seen Avatar in 3D once(best 3D experience ever, might be because it was my first), back in Aug 2010. Have avoided the home release thus far. Mostly because Cameron have yet to release the extended version in 3D(the one I saw in the theater).

:lol
If that is what you meant, then you could say that about every TV more or less. Take 8 different 1080p TVs, they will have different "quality", refresh rate, contrast, this and that ;)

If I had a 80 inch TV, it would probably feel a bit like having an entire wall for a TV. Way too big for my lil' home. I'm quite happy with my 32", want to upgrade to a 42" though.
But I'm guessing your TV still displays 3D in 1080p, because as far as I know there aren't any, or at least very few 3D TVs(with UHD support) that display 3D in anything higher than 1080p :unsure

I have only seen Avatar in 3D once(best 3D experience ever, might be because it was my first), back in Aug 2010. Have avoided the home release thus far. Mostly because Cameron have yet to release the extended version in 3D(the one I saw in the theater).

Yes every 1080p or 4K TV's quality varies quite a bit, major quality difference but again the improvements are more visible on the bigger screens, harder to notice and appreciate on a 42"

I have my basement dedicated to my home theater and prop collection so I have the space, I was concidering a front projection unit but went with the 80" Sharp quatron

My first home theater TV was Toshiba 65" widescreen rear projection TV professionaly calibrated, top of the line back in 2001 and paid 5K for it, there was non existen HD contents back then only watched dvd widescreen movies for the time then picture was excellent I enjoyed it very much, only many years later I was able to push the limits of the tv with the introduction of blurays.

You are correct 3D are only 1080P but the quatron revelation and upscaler chip does a amazing job at upscaling close to 4K quality, AVATAR in 3D is Amazingly crystal clear and super sharp with amazing blacks for a tv this size, I really love this set, everyone that comes over are amazed when I put in AVATAR 3D, its my Demo disc coming close second Pacific Rim.

GFollano

Last edited:

So, I decided to go with the LG model. if only because it was cheaper and had passive 3D.

So far the 3D DOES look better on a bigger screen, I think. so the extra money was worth it.

Now I have to see what my Xmen disc looks like on this one. the best buy guy claimed i needed an expensive monster cable specifically designed for 4K to help increase picture quality. I probably got scammed on that one, but we'll see if it looks any more 'wow' than the 45 inch sony one upstairs

So, I decided to go with the LG model. if only because it was cheaper and had passive 3D.

So far the 3D DOES look better on a bigger screen, I think. so the extra money was worth it.

Now I have to see what my Xmen disc looks like on this one. the best buy guy claimed i needed an expensive monster cable specifically designed for 4K to help increase picture quality. I probably got scammed on that one, but we'll see if it looks any more 'wow' than the 45 inch sony one upstairs

You got scammed

So, I popped in X Men on the New TV

Ithinnk the colors are a bit more vibrant than they where on the smaller TV. it reminds me of the difference between 50s black and white and 60's color popping brightness.

as for 3D. first one i popped in was finding dory. don't thin kthe 3D on this is very good, as some background objects are blury, while foreground objects in the same space are not.

updated the thread title to reflect the topics at hand :)

I finished one of my favorite movies of the summer, Finding Dory.

Now it's on to one of my least favorite, Star Trek Beyond. like the cast and the job they do, so I don't mind adding these things to my collection, even if they are not exactly star trek at heart.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back