TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

If they went to all the trouble to make it out of a real Graflex you would think they would have made it 100% right from the end of ESB.

Tom

Unless they wanted to blend the best features of both designs. The "real" lightsaber somehow looks like both the ANH and ESB versions -- we in the audience are probably not supposed to notice that anything changed. Makes sense to me to split the difference.

Unless they wanted to blend the best features of both designs. The "real" lightsaber somehow looks like both the ANH and ESB versions -- we in the audience are probably not supposed to notice that anything changed. Makes sense to me to split the difference.

Normally I am not as nitpicky as all that. I just made fun of some guys in the Deago Falcon thread for being too nitpicky.

Having said that if this is supposed to be Luke's saber he lost in ESB it should be exact.

More just an odd choice to me, no biggie.

Tom

Has there ever been confirmation that the ESB saber is missing the beer tab during shooting? I thought most of the damage seen on the Ranch version of the ESB saber was done after filming.

I'm sure the majority of fans don't know that the ANH saber is different from ESB and they probably won't notice that this one is any different.

Just had a thought...

Could we all have been deceived, & the saber we see Finn with, is a decoy? Maybe the 'real' saber is with someone, or something else.

I'll not get into spoilers, but if speculation is true, & the saber is a major plot point, then it may be so important that a decoy is made to take the heat off the real carrier, & Finn volunteers to be the decoy. I mean, we see him carrying it openly for all to see in the front of his jacket.

Maybe the big thing in the bottom, is the visual 'tell' for the audience, so we'll know which saber is which?

Sorry if it's been discussed.

You know what, this reminds me of something. I once saw a Star Wars fan film that was lengthy and had a decent budget and special effects. The main plot of the story revolved around this one person's lightsaber. Now this film had cool sets, professional looking costumes and armor, the works... and what did they do, made the lightsaber, the main plot point, out of crap found in anyone's garage. It was way worse than most of the "Home Depot" hardware sabers I have seen on the forum. It was really that awful. Vinyl tape holding parts of it together, etc. I personally found that to be inexcusable and it ruined the fan film for me. IT'S. THE. MAIN. PLOT. DEVICE. in a fan film with an awesome budget.

My point is, like the people in charge of that prop in that fan film, the people in charge of how the Graflex is displayed in TFA don't give a rat's ass about how it looks. Lightsaber appearance continuity is apparently not important to them. Either that or it's 100% intentional. Maybe someone in charge thought we all wanted yet another version to collect and build. NO! We don't! We will do it anyways but only because we "have to", lol.

If they didn't care what it looked like they wouldn't have used real Graflex units

Also, it's been lost for thirty plus years. Who's to say whoever has had it all this time hasn't tinkered with it?

It really does feel that way - they've taken the more interesting grips, and the sleeker appearance of the glass eye/button combo rather than 2 red buttons. Even in ESB the saber sometimes had only one red button (and no eye), right? Why not make a version with the best of both worlds.

Has there ever been confirmation that the ESB saber is missing the beer tab during shooting? I thought most of the damage seen on the Ranch version of the ESB saber was done after filming.

I've been holding onto a Graflex for ages with the intent of making an ESB conversion, though I've always wanted to leave the beer tab in place... Partly because I want the option of swapping a few parts to make an ANH, and partly because I also don't remember clear confirmation that it was removed on all ESB sabers (of which we do know there are a few revisions). It's a slight idealization (if even that) that I felt quite happy with. And now its presence on this version really does feel appropriate.

My take on the new Graflex hybrid is this. I like it and I think it makes sense. Let me explain why. When watching ANH you notice right off the bat the ears, red button on top and glass eye on the front. They are the most distinct traits of that saber. When you watch ESB the first features you see of the saber are the D-ring and grips and part of the control box. There are a few scenes in Empire where you can see the glass eye is replaced with the red button (which I always hated). But there are scenes where there is a glass eye but no red button by the ears. Scenes where there is a red button and a glass eye. So they did what made sense. Use the most iconic and noticeable features to create this one.

I'll be 100% honest..the last Graflex I built was exactly this way. I left the glass eye and did everything else ESB and put the thin smooth chrome tape over the Graflex logo. So I'm excited that they went with this design.

- - - Updated - - -

It really does feel that way - they've taken the more interesting grips, and the sleeker appearance of the glass eye/button combo rather than 2 red buttons. Even in ESB the saber sometimes had only one red button (and no eye), right? Why not make a version with the best of both worlds.

I've been holding onto a Graflex for ages with the intent of making an ESB conversion, though I've always wanted to leave the beer tab in place... Partly because I want the option of swapping a few parts to make an ANH, and partly because I also don't remember clear confirmation that it was removed on all ESB sabers (of which we do know there are a few revisions). It's a slight idealization (if even that) that I felt quite happy with. And now its presence on this version really does feel appropriate.

Beat me to it!! My feeling exactly.

It's always been a mystery to me what the 'real' function of the second red push button on Luke's lightsaber in ESB was ... if in ANH there was only a glass eye displayed, whatever its function was on a working lightsaber?

So ... yeah the TFA G R A F L E X configuration is more logical ... indeed :)

Chaim

If I were pushed for an in universe reason, I'd say it to do with Luke wanting a redundant switch on the other side, so whatever function it does can be done in easier while in combat (so both red buttons do the same thing, but facilitate the saber being held in different positions). He also holds it the other way around in ESB when he fights Vader (ear tabs pointing down)

In real life they probably unscrewed the glass eye and lost it lol

If they didn't care what it looked like they wouldn't have used real Graflex units

Also, it's been lost for thirty plus years. Who's to say whoever has had it all this time hasn't tinkered with it?

Well they obviously care to a point, that being that it must look like a real Graflex. Most likely the main reason they didn't use an accurate replica was because of legal red tape with the vendor, royalties that might have to be paid, etc... or it could have been a director/producer quirk/request. Try to look at it this way... there is no good enough reason for any part of a movie studio production to care about the set, prop and costume details as much as the people on this forum do. Prop collectors with extreme attention to detail are not the main demographic that movies target. Not even close.

Last edited:

I think the glass eye/red button combo looked the best. The circuit board and notched grips also look better then the bubbles and plain grips with no screws. So this is really the best looking combo (although I still prefer the overall look of the ANH from a nostalgia point).

If I were pushed for an in universe reason, I'd say it to do with Luke wanting a redundant switch on the other side, so whatever function it does can be done in easier while in combat (so both red buttons do the same thing, but facilitate the saber being held in different positions). He also holds it the other way around in ESB when he fights Vader (ear tabs pointing down)

In real life they probably unscrewed the glass eye and lost it lol

This was always kinda my rationale as well.

I think the glass eye/red button combo looked the best. The circuit board and notched grips also look better then the bubbles and plain grips with no screws. So this is really the best looking combo (although I still prefer the overall look of the ANH from a nostalgia point).

ANH is my favorite because it is both Luke's and more importantly Anakin's. This one. Not that ROTS garbage. So that is why ANH is my favorite although I love the ESB as well. I will have two plaques for my ANH . One for Luke and one for Anakin. I had a custom one made for my MR ANH.

Tom

I don't know how you watched originals, because the Luke saber hilts were different in different scenes/shots through those original films if you watch closely enough. There are continuity problems with them in EVERY film they're in.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back