TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Yes! So who is going to make them?

I could try and do a CAD version of the grips.
I'm working on a TFA kobold clip (Interest thread with samples coming in the next few days!) and clamp card at to moment... New grips are on my list too, but I've not yet looked into how to go about manufacturing them. :)

I could try and do a CAD version of the grips.
I'm working on a TFA kobold clip (Interest thread with samples coming in the next few days!) and clamp card at to moment... New grips are on my list too, but I've not yet looked into how to go about manufacturing them. :)

If you or someone else can do TFA style grips that would be awesome. As nice as the OT style grips that others offer are, I don't want them on my TFA style Graflex.

I thought about that but I don't know if the profile or length are accurate on the 2.0 grips.

As far as I'm aware we don't have any accurate measurements for the TFA grip width/raised part width at the moment?

That being said here are the Graflex 2.0 grips compared to Roy's:

IMG_0761.JPGIMG_0762.JPG

Not perfect, sure, but not super far off...

They're just shy of 92mm, the cutout on the ESB style is about 10.1mm from the end and 10.2mm wide, so according to Roy's calculated dimensions cutting down the ANH Graflex 2.0 grips and slotting them will get you accurate sized TFA grips that are similar but with a slightly different look to Roy's accurate t-track :)

As far as I'm aware we don't have any accurate measurements for the TFA grip width/raised part width at the moment?

View attachment 644866View attachment 644867

They're just shy of 92mm, the cutout on the ESB style is about 10.1mm from the end and 10.2mm wide, so according to Roy's calculated dimensions cutting down the ANH Graflex 2.0 grips and slotting them will get you accurate sized TFA grips that are similar but with a slightly different look to Roy's accurate t-track :)

I've left the stock grips on my 2.0 so far. The placement of the rivet/screw might not be 100% accurate, but I've got a gap between the clamp and the top of the grips and they fit flush against the saber, so it's good enough for now until someone starts extruding a TFA-profile grip.

Thanks for the comparison. Looks like we need some new t-track!

View attachment 644866View attachment 644867

I'd like to get Roy's up to date opinion on this. His analysis of a TFA screen grab appeared to show his upper grip profile dead on, but the bottom profile was unclear. What we need is basically Roy's grip profile but with an arched bottom. I'm not sure if Roy would be interested in doing this or not.

I'd like to get Roy's up to date opinion on this. His analysis of a TFA screen grab appeared to show his upper grip profile dead on, but the bottom profile was unclear. What we need is basically Roy's grip profile but with an arched bottom. I'm not sure if Roy would be interested in doing this or not.

We also still need to confirm whether or not the CineFX article from earlier in the thread was correct when it said the new grips were made from rubber as opposed to plastic. Another unboxing video (can't remember the source) had the guy touching the grips of a PropShop Rey saber while saying it had "plastic" additions, but right now that is the closest I've come to figuring that detail out. Surely someone can confirm this important detail.

If the CineFX article is wrong, and the grips are indeed plastic, we could simply get a cylindrical shape of the appropriate thickness, something like a deep-dish socket, wrap sandpaper around it, and sand a larger arch into the bottom of Roy's plastic grips.

If the grips for TFA were indeed rubber, they would need to be extruded with the bottom arch already in it. That said, I can't see in screen captures that the large arch is there. You guys must have better eyes than me.

We also still need to confirm whether or not the CineFX article from earlier in the thread was correct when it said the new grips were made from rubber as opposed to plastic. Another unboxing video (can't remember the source) had the guy touching the grips of a PropShop Rey saber while saying it had "plastic" additions, but right now that is the closest I've come to figuring that detail out. Surely someone can confirm this important detail.

If the CineFX article is wrong, and the grips are indeed plastic, we could simply get a cylindrical shape of the appropriate thickness, something like a deep-dish socket, wrap sandpaper around it, and sand a larger arch into the bottom of Roy's plastic grips.

If the grips for TFA were indeed rubber, they would need to be extruded with the bottom arch already in it. That said, I can't see in screen captures that the large arch is there. You guys must have better eyes than me.

I haven't really investigated the grip profiles and how it compairs to the OT T-tracks. I don't trust the PropShop saber much as a reference. I saw it at SW celebration this weekend, but it was displayed in a dark exhibit, and it was hard making out the details. I DID hold my own version which I brought with me next to it, which drove the booth people CRAZY! Haha, they were impressed by my own Graflex based version.
Anyway, when I'm back, I will focus on the profile shape and form an opinion.
My feeling about the material is that it most probably is hard plastic, because rubber profile is much harder to produce accurate and straight, and is harder to mount straight as well. Since some stunt sabers were fitted with textile covered foam rubber grips, that might have created the confusion. Or it's just a slip of the tongue. About offering a newly profiled T-track: I don't know yet. The investment is high, and I'm unsure if this one saber will pay it back :(
Modifying my current track might be an option. I will let you know in a few weeks.

Roy

I haven't really investigated the grip profiles and how it compairs to the OT T-tracks. I don't trust the PropShop saber much as a reference. I saw it at SW celebration this weekend, but it was displayed in a dark exhibit, and it was hard making out the details. I DID hold my own version which I brought with me next to it, which drove the booth people CRAZY! Haha, they were impressed by my own Graflex based version.
Anyway, when I'm back, I will focus on the profile shape and form an opinion.
My feeling about the material is that it most probably is hard plastic, because rubber profile is much harder to produce accurate and straight, and is harder to mount straight as well. Since some stunt sabers were fitted with textile covered foam rubber grips, that might have created the confusion. Or it's just a slip of the tongue. About offering a newly profiled T-track: I don't know yet. The investment is high, and I'm unsure if this one saber will pay it back :(
Modifying my current track might be an option. I will let you know in a few weeks.

Roy

Ah cool, you were in the booth? I didn't see anyone go in there! Crazy!
I totally wanted to check them out, but didn't because the whole thing looked closed off. I guess I was too shy to ask the guys if I could go in and forgot, haha. I'm still slightly bummed. :D

Hey guys!
I just finished our first protoype TFA clamp card. It is not yet gold plated (The finished version will be) and the etching came out pretty rough because of several small things that I will fix next time around. We are currently working on a system to sell these and I hope to get an interest-thread up in the next few weeks. :)

These will be 100% handmade, by the way...

View attachment 638207View attachment 638209View attachment 638210View attachment 638211

Any updates on this yet Towel?

Well just about all of the parts I need have arrived to convert my Icons Skywalker sabre into a TFA version so if I may, I am after a bit of advice. My Icons is in pristine condition so do I leave the finish as such or do I weather it? I am leaning toward weathering but apart from giving it the odd scratch here and there, I am unsure how to "age" it convincingly. Any suggestions and help would be great

I've been following this thread since early this year and have learned so much from all of the great members on here. Thank you all so much for your insight, inspiration, & attention to detail! That being said I wanted to post a few pics from my vintage Graflex TFA build. I chose do the Maz saber. The grips, Kobold clip, clamp & bottom cover are from Roy. The card is Slothfurnace. Still waiting for someone to do a translucent card. I used 3mm rivets on both the grips & Kobold.

image.jpeg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 171
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 157
Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back