[TFA] Finn Analysis & Build (Open Discussion)

JJ Griffin

Sr Member
So, I've noticed threads for Rey, Kylo Ren, and even Poe... but thus far, not much for poor, lonely Finn! I already have plans to build a Trooper Finn later this year for the December 10 premiere, and there has been ample research done into the First Order Trooper already. However, I've seen no such analysis of his "rebel" outfit featured in various trailers/SDCC. I'm a total newb at both clothing AND Star Wars costuming, so this is definitely going to be a learning experience for me, and hopefully some of you fine folks can chime in and help us get a productive discussion of his outfit(s) going, and in the process help out some people with their own builds.

MATERIALS
Nothing too exotic/hard to find, outside of maybe the nubuck.
20150417-exhibition-finn-schild-bg.jpg

JACKET
In terms of the jacket, I plan to go for broke and use the incredible one being created by @INDYMagnoli as we speak! On the left is a pic snagged from his thread. On the right, the screen-used jacket. Keep in mind, the replica is a prototype/WIP that I'm certain will only get more accurate given the builder's reputation :) The jacket buckles/greeblies will be 3D printed and then hand worn/weathered to make sure they're as accurate as possible...!

finn-prototype_zpshdzb1io1.jpgStar-Wars-Celebration-The-Force-Awakens-Props-Costumes-Exhibit-Characters-Models-018.jpg

SHIRT
Nothing too wild here, outside of the somewhat unique texture/pattern of the weave, and the slightly-less dark neck collar. Likely custom made but I'm still googling for suitable facsimiles!

PANTS
The trousers seem thankfully, MERCIFULLY simple. I think any store-bought pair of black cotton trousers should work, apart from the somewhat unique look of the thigh pockets on each side.

BOOTS
My biggest issue... I know Rey's boots wound up being discovered as a slightly-modified found item. I am wondering if the same is true for Finn's. I know any old pair of leather boots would *technically* do, but they have a fairly distinctive look so I'd prefer to try and find the real McCoy (or get them made). Anyone have any ideas or better pics of them~?

Attachments

• Star-Wars-Celebration-The-Force-Awakens-Props-Costumes-Exhibit-Characters-Models-017.jpg
    Star-Wars-Celebration-The-Force-Awakens-Props-Costumes-Exhibit-Characters-Models-017.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back