TESB Despatch pod!

ralphee

Sr Member
OK, well heres my next project, the Sd Kfz223 variant Hoth depatch pod!

This is so embryonic here, im awaiting three more 223's two of which came today, but i was not at home...arrgghh!

Its just my luck i have lots of 222 variants, but only had two 223's...ah such is life...once i get all five, i can really get rolling!

As mentioned above, it uses five faceted Leichter hulls, and from what ive managed to ID, three BT44b rear rims, stacked together for the main (hyperdrive?) thruster.

Ive pretty much pinned down parts from the 1/48 Bandai Panther for the front manouver jets, more on those later when i lay my hands on them!

The rest of the pod will have to be idealised (plastruct domes, maybe some Saturn V parts), there is only one pic i know of on this prop, so im going to do my best, but the engine array im going to do something akin to the ANH pod using suspension componenents etc etc...it should turn out pretty nice, ive been eager to do this one for quite a while!

Hopefully in a day or two, i can post a decent update as i dont plan on this taking ages...a fast dirty build...without the dirty maybe LOL.

lee

Last edited:
Ah tell me about it S, id kill for more pics of this lol, but ill manage, and TBH, mine will turn out better than the prop, at least in the detail and eye candy stakes LOL.

lee

Ah man, love it Lee! German engineering had such weighty influence in the SW universe. Weird to think, as awful as the war was and is.. without WWII, all the craft we've come to love would be missing the key ingredients.

Seriously cool, Lee!

I'll be following this build also (All ESB, all the time!). Since I saw the archives photo posted in the other thread, I've been interested in building this one. I'll need to stock up on some 223s though.

Is there a big difference between the 222 and 223, or would I be violating the spirit of accuracy by using 222s?:lol

It seems like they used the smaller 223 version in the film, or did they use both the 223 and 8rad versions?

Thanks again for giving me my ESB fix!

-David

David, the 222 has a larger turret aperture, so while it could be used, it wouldnt look quite right, the domes over each aperture, should come out at around 31 to 32mm or so, and thats amuch larger on the Sd Kfz222.

It ticked me off too, i have like 6 of the 222 variant now lol.

lee

Woohoo, another cool thread to follow and be inspired by. This one looks like a 'slightly' easier build than most SS projects, although reference is very sparse. Can't wait to see the beautiful job you do on this one Lee.

David, the 222 has a narrower section of roof in front of the turret (the side opposite the cross-hatching) than the 223 as well as the larger turret opening.

Cheers, JT

Hey Ralphee,what are you uing for "visual" resources for this little project?I don't recall seeing anything in the Chronicals about this miniature.I thought about making a small dioramam for my SMT Probe Droid with a crashed pod.I saw a really cool on on star ship modeler some time ago and it was a pretty cool idea,but I never knew what kits were used because the Probe Droid pod has such a brief on screen time in the opener of TESB.

In the Chronicles, there is a tiny pic of Larry Tan (i think) holding the 8rad variant!
As for my visual ref, its just an archive pic ive had for an age, very fuzzy, but enough for me to make it work in some way, shape or form.

Does nobody have pics of these things, they must still exist as there photographed in the same timeframe as the ROTJ ATST prop!

lee

Great stuff! I always loved the sound these things made as they left the destroyer. Are you going to integrate sounds? that would rock.

That looks like tha same hull used on the Jabba rancor pit door lock.

Yeah that's true, but I cant recall if they used the 222 or the 223 body !

That's great bro, do you think they used the chassis too ?
That will be a great build and I will follow what your doing on this one, how many 223 do we need ? I have to buy some :D

Its the 223 body bro, and you need five! I wasnt going to use the chassis', but TBH, they make a great jig for lining up the hulls with some very minor modification with a dremel lol, so im going to use them.

Well i had Leichter number three come today, so im just waiting on two more, and i can really get some ass kicking done on this!

lee

Its the 223 body bro, and you need five! I wasnt going to use the chassis', but TBH, they make a great jig for lining up the hulls with some very minor modification with a dremel lol, so im going to use them.

Well i had Leichter number three come today, so im just waiting on two more, and i can really get some ass kicking done on this!

lee

Thanks bro, Ok I need a couple more so since I cut 2 of my 223 hulls lol
Ok I hear you for the chassis that's true there is always no surface contact between the hulls to glue them together if not using the chassis !
There was a lot of them a while back when Tamiya re released it with PE, but they seem to be harder to found ! A ton of 222 but the 223 are really hard to find lol or you already bought them all ! :lol

Ive been having a nightmare finding them too bro, im having to pay hiked prices as there just arent many to be had lol. Im almost there, literally just waiting on the mailman to drop them all in to me now lol.

lee

Yeah I also noticed the price grows up (almost 50% :confused) but I guess it's due to the economical crisis ! :D And the guy from who I use to buy my Tamiya kits at cheap prices doesnt list the 223 anymore :(

I should better to cast the hull lol

Anyway I hope you'll get yours soon because I cant wait to see it finished. That's a very cool and new subject which changes a lot from all the same old stuff we use to see here ! :D

Any idea about the dark gray parts at the bottom of the pod, between the 223 hulls ? It looks like there is a kind of intake.
Could the small thrusters be from the Saturn V ? They look very small I have to check and compare with the 223 hulls !

The grey parts, i think i have a lead on those, F1 car i reckon, just need to chase it up bro!
As for the Saturn V parts, there a bit too large, but as it goes, i still may use them as there is no way i can even see what they are in the pic and they do look good in place....i like 'em anyhow and im not trying to make this as accurate, that would be impossible from that pic lol, just my build!

The front thrusters look to be 1/48 Bandai Panther though!

lee

Here's a picture of a pod I started in 1994.

probe_droid_pod.jpg

Tim

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back