Terra cotta?

Chinosan

I apologize if this is posted on the wrong thread.

I am looking to sculpt an Iron Man helmet. I wanted to know if Terra cotta is a good clay to work with. Because I am taking ceramics at my university so I know how to work the clay and it's cheap (20 bucks for a 50lb bag). The only problem is that it shrinks a bit when it dries. Or should I use an oil based clay like Roma Plastilina?

on some websites ive seen 2lbs going for around $10, so im assuming that 50lb will be rather pricey. google "chavant nsp" to find some distributors

You can use the finer grained white clay rather than Terra Cotta. It is also cheap. I get it for $12 for 50 lbs. It might be more expensive at art stores.

I've used white clay before in class. The reason why I like using pottery clays is that I can have any consistency I want and for a cheap price. I can use a super soft clay and then let it dry for a little and then I have a much firmer clay. Plus they're super cheap and reusable =D

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back