Terra cotta?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Chinosan

I apologize if this is posted on the wrong thread.

I am looking to sculpt an Iron Man helmet. I wanted to know if Terra cotta is a good clay to work with. Because I am taking ceramics at my university so I know how to work the clay and it's cheap (20 bucks for a 50lb bag). The only problem is that it shrinks a bit when it dries. Or should I use an oil based clay like Roma Plastilina?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Vermithrax 4

I wouldn't recommend terra cotta, it's very gritty and normally used for clay vessels and the like. Go with Roma Plastilena if you have some but Chavant is the best IMO. www.chavant.com .

aron42486

on some websites ive seen 2lbs going for around $10, so im assuming that 50lb will be rather pricey. google "chavant nsp" to find some distributors

clonesix

Sr Member
You can use the finer grained white clay rather than Terra Cotta. It is also cheap. I get it for $12 for 50 lbs. It might be more expensive at art stores.

Chinosan

I've used white clay before in class. The reason why I like using pottery clays is that I can have any consistency I want and for a cheap price. I can use a super soft clay and then let it dry for a little and then I have a much firmer clay. Plus they're super cheap and reusable =D