Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: (1990) Casey Jones.

Egon Spengler

Master Member
Working on a Casey Jones costume from the original film.

I managed to track down this jacket online. I cut off one of the sleeves and started to test out a fraying process on the sleeve before moving on to the arm hole itself. I managed to get a good look on the sleeve by scratching and pulling it apart with one of my clay sculpting tools.

$_574.JPG100_8526.jpg

I got lucky and found two cheap old wooden baseball bats at a local Goodwill last week as well.
100_8475.jpg

I know a lot of media shows Casey using a Golf bag to keep his bats and hockey sticks in, but in the film it almost seems too small for it to be a golf bag. To me it looks more like an quiver for arrows. I'm not sure either way though what it is.

I'm hoping to find a good vacuum cheap at Goodwill too to start a build on a low budget vacuformer. I plan to make the Casey Jones mask myself and vacuform it. I know you can buy them, but I'd rather make my own.

Last edited:
Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: (1990) Casey Jones

Headed out to do some shopping a bit ago. Managed to pick up a gulf bag cheap at Goodwill. 2.99. Not bad. It isn't accurate to what he has in the film, but in the film you hardly even see the thing. I've tried finding out the type of bag he has, looked at quivers, looked at gulf bags, but I can't find the exact model. The bag I bought is black and nylon. It's about the same length as his gulf bag too. I'm convinced now he's using a gulf bag. Here is a photo of my gulf bag.

I may paint it to make it more closely resemble the one in the film, or I may reskin the entire thing. I'm going to replace the strap as well.
100_8527.jpg

Edit: I went ahead and used my digital camera to get some shots of the bag from my Blu-Ray of the film. I think I have the general look of the actual bag worked out and will be making one myself.

This bag will be going back to Goodwill.

Last edited:

I believe that it is indeed a golf bag. However, rather than a full golf bag his is smaller as it is a golf bag for a par 3 course. Sometimes a par 3 course is referred to as an "executive course". Hopefully that will help you track down a suitable bag.

Ok, just did some research, and I had an idea in my head of what the bag was...and this is it. A Wilson canvas and leather golf bag from the 1970's. I think this is probably as close as you could get to the original from the movie without any other resources popping up.

MOD EDIT: Please do not post ebay links, thanks.

Honestly, searching "vintage golf bag" on ebay comes up with a lot of good finds. A lot of bags used for walking on the course were smaller and lighter in the 70's/80's so I'd focus on finding something from that time period. I think it'd look screen accurate and give your costume a really cool look. Modern bags made of nylon and newer fabrics aren't going to look as "authentic" I think.

Also, if you're going to do a 90's Casey Jones I think you've GOT to have a Cricket Bat.

"Cricket?...uou gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket!"

Last edited:

It's a golf bag. Look for "stove pipe" stype or variations of that. I'd also add what Godsadvised recommended and add that to the list too.

The problem is finding the RIGHT one, and that's an impossibility. How many projects do you have going on right now? Try not to spread yourself too thin.

VilleLeskinen: Thanks! I appreciate the help! Those are some of the same shots I managed to get with my digital camera. There is a lot of movement in that scene so even pausing it is hard to get a good shot. I did manage to get one essential shot that let me know what actual brand it is. See my reply to The Dark One.

GodsAdvised: Yeah, I ended up figuring that out when I searched eBay for vintage and antique golf bags. Ha ha yeah I need to find a place to get a cricket bat that won't cost a fortune. I actually ended up buying a old beaten down golf bag off eBay. Check out my reply to Dark One.

The Dark One: Bingo! That's what I've come to find that it is after e-bay searching. I managed to get a good shot of the bottom of the bag and it appears it is a Spaulding Stovepipe bag, at least according to the e-bay auction I purchased one from. The bag he has in the film has a four pointed star emblem on the bottom of it. The one I purchased does as well and the guy calls it a Spaulding bag in the description. It needs a lot of repairs to it though and I might have to basically rebuild it from the ground up. I don't believe it's the absolutely correct model, but it is very close.

I don't really have too many projects going on at the moment. The turtle project is on hold for a minute until I get a better bust to sculpt the clay onto. This project however is moving along quickly.

Comparison of the one I bought on ebay's bottom, to the screenshot.
compare.jpg

I'm 90% sure it's the same logo but there is a possibility I may be wrong. In a way it almost looks like a cross with a circle around it, but at the same time the one I purchased isn't a still of it in motion and is lit differently as well.

Last edited:

That's awesome!

I learned searching for my own golf bag that the style was "stove pipe" but I didnt turn up with anything I liked so my Casey Jones project is on hold. Funny how that worked out; we each learned the same thing new looking for the same thing! I'd concur you're really close with the one you purchased. It has that "cap" at the bottom of the bag, and the pattern is roughly the same.

If I could get matching baseball bats and a cricket bat I'm happy with I'd be golden. It took quite a while to get the hockey sticks (lefty and goalie).

Ville: Thanks! I hope so! Ha ha. The bag itself doesn't seem to have all the details his does, but the bottom matches up at least. If it isn't the exact model, it at least seems to be the same manufacturer. The bag I purchased is in extremely rough shape and I'm going to do the best I can to use what still remains, but I might have to actually tear the whole thing down and rebuild it, using only the metal parts.

Here is a photo showing it's bad condition.
crop.jpg

The Dark One: Thanks! With the bag being as bad of shape as it is in, I might just tear it all down and reskin it with new canvas, but I would really like to save the original materials if I can. If I can't I'll use them as a template to make a new canvas cover. Sometimes in the film though his bag looks as if it might be leather instead of canvas, but it can be seen sagging like canvas too.

On the "weapons" I managed to find those bats real cheap at goodwill. One is slightly longer than the other but it will work for now. I love how they are already worn too. The cricket bat is going to be a pain. For the hockey stick I might just go to Academy sports and buy a blade and attach it to some wood from Home Depot. It looks like his hockey stick is actually shorter than mosts from what I've seen. Almost looks broken off at one point in time.

So I went ahead and dyed the jacket yesterday using only 2 boxes of Pearl Grey RIT dye. It turned darker but not as much as I would have liked to to have done so I dyed it again today.

First attempt:
dyejob1.jpg

Second attempt I bought some black RIT dye and used only a half of a pack.

Two photos, one with flash, one without.
COMPAREFNF.jpg

These photos were taken with the fabric still slightly wet.

On the "weapons" I managed to find those bats real cheap at goodwill. One is slightly longer than the other but it will work for now. I love how they are already worn too. The cricket bat is going to be a pain. For the hockey stick I might just go to Academy sports and buy a blade and attach it to some wood from Home Depot. It looks like his hockey stick is actually shorter than mosts from what I've seen. Almost looks broken off at one point in time.

The Hockey sticks are certainly cut down. I dont think he broke anything or uses broken equipment in the film, as far as Im aware; that was just for the playmates toy. You may even find buying a used stick is cheaper than making one (at least that was the case for me).

The Dark One: I just meant he might have snapped it off to make the stick shorter, but it does look like it was probably just cut down to size.

What do you think of the jacket/vest coloring?

I dyed it one more time and cut the sleeves off and ran it through the washing machine. The jacket got a little more roughed up looking that I would have liked it, but it's an actual 80's jacket so it already wasn't in the best shape. The fraying along the arm holes isn't an exact match of course, but I think it came out looking pretty good. This time I used the last of the black dye with a whole pack of green dye. The green dye helped level off the purple tint.

I'm going to get a bottle of fray check and go over the jacket edges like crazy. I don't want the jacket to become anymore weathered than it already has.

final.jpg

Gotta love a good Casey Jones outfit!

As for cricket bats, look on the Australian ebay for used ones. You might find some cheap, but whether or not you can get them shipped would depend on where you are.

The jacket is looking really nice! The color looks spot on. I personally dig costuming clothes that are beat up and lived on. They have so much more character, especially on someone like Casey Jones! :)

So have you got the shoes tracked down? :lol

Egon-
Spent some time looking for cricket bats...and yeah, finding an affordable one looks like a challenge. For whatever reason even old beat up cricket bats are kinda spendy. However, for a first pass at the costume I really think you could make your own for really cheap. Honestly, if you have any access to a handsaw, a file/rasp, and a 32" piece of 2 x 6 I think making your own wouldn't be that tough. Just a thought.

Looking great! I love TMNT, and Casey is one of the coolest characters ever! Just a tip, I think this is the undershirt he wears. It's a vintage U.S Army undershirt/henley. I've seen them on eBay for great prices!

Attachments

• img58258677.jpg
    img58258677.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 400

The henley is a six button henley. I've counted it numerous times to make absolutely sure; but you may be on to something with being a vintage us army undershirt because like the rest of my ebaying has turned up with zilch.

Great information on the shirt type! Thanks DeLorean!

The Dark One: True! I wonder how hard it would be to take a 3 button shirt and add button holes and 6 buttons in the correct style.

Update!!

Check out what I picked up at Goodwill today for my Casey Jones costume. At the end of the first film he uses a golf club to knock the heck out of Tetsuo and says "I'll never call golf a dull game again."

Well, I took some screencaptures of that scene and found out the type of club he has. I went to Goodwill today and found one with the same style, but just a different pant job.

I LOVE how the club I purchased is roughed up. It might not be "screen accurate" but it looks how the club he had might have turned out after years of use if he kept the club.

Just need to paint the tan areas black now.

Not bad for 1.99.
club.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back