Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: (1990) Casey Jones.

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: (1990) Casey Jones

OMG!!11! You not turtle fan!!! it TATSU, no TETSUO!

Just kidding of course! :lol Great score on the club! :thumbsup So about those shoes...

LOL You got me! You found me out!

I don't know why I spelled that that way. I guess I had Akira in the back of my head.

Thanks!

Looking into the shoes, but so far all I can tell is that they seem to be black high tops from the 80's. I'm not too concerned about finding the exact ones as lookalikes will probably be just as effective.

For some reason; I lean towards Reebok over Nike in this case because over all Reebok appeared more generic to me.

Update!

I've started working on repairing the bag. It was delivered today and it needs a lot of help. A lot!

I detached the bottom from the canvas section and started cleaning off the rust with steel wool. You can see a before and after shot below.

The before image is a little blurred, but it's from when I first started working on it with the steel wool. Before I started, there wasn't even a little bit of shine anywhere on it. The whole thing had a layer of rust. For the steel wool I used the kind with soap in it, it's all I have available at the moment. It worked well! I'm not sure if I'm going to try to clean it up more or not. In a way this costume is kind of turning out to look like what the costume from the film would look like now if it was still in use, so I kind of like that everything seems a little less than brand new.

ba_zpscad6b8ab.jpg~original

I tried to save the main structure of the bag, but it's pretty much a total loss and will have to be fully remade. The canvas is so brittle it tears like paper and all the leather peices aren't far from that. I plan to use the existing canvas as a template for new canvas I will buy and use to remake the bag. I think I might try to keep the original pouch that is on the bag though. So far it doesn't seem to be as in bad of shape as the rest of the canvas.

Honestly, I'm 95% sure his bag is canvas, but sometime in the film it almost looks like it's leather, but in some shots it sags like canvas or fabric would.

Here is a photo of the torn down bag.
teardown.jpg

Last edited:

After watching the Raphael vs Casey Jones fight about 10 times I agree with you and think that the bag is canvas. In fact, it looks like an oiled canvas which is why it looks like leather a couple of times. I really like the bag you got and with some cleanup/repair/replace I think it's going to look really great and totally authentic to the movie.

Also, nice job cleaning up the bottom piece. Looks great. If you want to keep it from rusting any more you could put coat of matte clear coat over the top of it.

The bag is certainly canvas. Think as "cheap" as Casey would spend on used sports equipment; a canvas bag will be much less than a leather one: just as the prop dept would splurge on too.

Now that I know the bottom is METAL I wont keep looking for a plastic cap bottom. One step forward, one step back with this thing. I swear.

nice and Original project, hope to see it finished some day :) you gotta love classic TMNT stuff good luck with the search

Looks like everything is coming together! Can't wait to see it all together!

Thanks everyone! I am still working on this. Just have had a rough couple days recently. :)

Oh this is going to be so cool when it comes together! I can't wait to see what you do with the mask.

Looks fantastic so far man and awesome choice on your project. Nice to see the original Turtles movie getting some costume love. Can't wait to see your final product especially considering the attention of detail you have on this costume.

I have Shredder and Foot Solider from the first film on my "Want" costume list.

Mister Wayne: Thank you! :) I plan to sculpt it myself and vacuform it. That might take a minute since I need to build a vac machine first.

ShaneHelms: Thank you! I'd love to see you do those! I've thought of doing a Foot costume but I'm trying to push more toward "good guy" characters lately after mainly making costumes of bad dudes.

Hello Egon. I have been working on my Casey Jones costume for a while now. I have just recently completed my Casey arsenal. I just joined the RPF, and my first order of business was to put up an album of my Casey goalie hockey stick. I still have some fine tuning to do. But, I'll help if I can.
One of those bats is a Jose Canseco bat, and yes, I paid money for it.
KC arsenal.jpg

MrGhoulieKC: Great stuff! Looks like you havethe same type of bag I found but only in much, much, better shape. I still need to get a cricket bat and a hockey stick. I've already found two bats to use, neither is a Jose Canseco but I'll just have to live with that ha ha.

I know there are pep files and even people that sell Casey Jones masks but I'm determined to make my own.

My first attempt was decent but ultimately failed.

This time around I'm thinking of sculpting it in WED clay and then making a mold of it using Alignate. I'm thinking I'll sculpt the mask in clay, make a mold of it using alginate and then brust liquid plastic into the alginate mold. I'm not sure that will even work though or if it's even possible to do at all.

Ha ha! Yep! Got an update for you! Should have more updates later today but here is one for you now. It's funny, you posted about 2 hours ago just as I finished working on this.

Been working on this since about 11pm yesterday. Finished around 1:30am today. This is my replica of the club that Casey Jones uses at the end of the best turtle film, the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from 1990. Excellent film! If you haven't seen the film since it came out in 1990 well, too late. I'm not posting spoiler warnings on a 25 year old film. LOL

Towards the end of the film Casey picks up a golf club to defend himself. It's a black Northwestern Golf Club. I searched for a while to find a club of it's type. I picked up one of a different color at a Goodwill for 1.99. Tonight I painted it black to match the one in the film and distressed it to make it look more used since he found it in the film.

In this image you can see it from start to finish.
clubprogress2_zpsf748732c.jpg~original

Sanded. Masked and primed. Painted with flat black enamel. Sealed with a clear matte finish.

It still scratches a bit easy, so I might try to apply another coat of clear enamel.

Last edited:

Wow, did a great job man! Lucky I did post in this thread ;) One question: Do you have the long hair or are you looking at getting a wig or going without the hair alltogether?

Thank you! My hair is actually pretty long at the moment but still not long enough. I plan on getting my hair cut tomorrow though. :D I'll probably end up using a wig for it. I've got to have long hair for this costume or it just won't look right. :)

Today I'm going to buy supplies to sculpt and mold the mask. :D

Sweeet! I'm revisiting my turtle build and just incase that isn't ready I'll do a Casey Jones. Great thread to have bookmarked.

Looking foward to future updates :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back