Sylvie (Loki series) costume piece ID’s

CLOAK:
Black wool is readily available... and can be found as a wool-poly blend for way cheaper, if that is one's goal. For example:

• Black Tropical weight: 100% Wool • $24.95 / yard:

• Black worsted flannel: 98% wool, 2% lycra • $32.50 / yard:

• Wool/poly tropical blend • $18.95 / yard:

Cloak lining:

• If you like to sweat buckets and/or just don't care, go polyester / acetate. Example:

• If you like your garments to allow your body to breathe, then go cupro / viscose / cotton / fibre based:
-- Although these may be shinier than you may want? Get a swatch! (Or go with a light cotton / linen.)

Some excellent daylight shots of the front of Sylvie's pants fresh from Sophia's Instagram:

20210723_122029.jpg
20210723_122051.jpg

The idea of faux suede on the inside seems visually interesting, but would add a lot of weight, yeah? Also, if it is a synthetic fabric: a lot of extra heat. I would imagine this would cause the cloak to "stick" to the garments below and not "swoosh" as you might like. THAT SAID: have you tried this before? I could be waaaay off on my conjecture... and can always stand to learn a new thing or two!
I should have my swatches soon, but I've worked with apparel faux suede before and LOVE it! I made some Rise Of Skywalker Rey pants out of some amazing faux suede with stretch from Mood Fabrics and the weight and comfort is awesome. I think part of Sylvie's shirt is also a faux suede (except for arms and top of collar). At least, that's what I'll be working with :D

CLOAK:
Black wool is readily available... and can be found as a wool-poly blend for way cheaper, if that is one's goal. For example:

• Black Tropical weight: 100% Wool • $24.95 / yard:

• Black worsted flannel: 98% wool, 2% lycra • $32.50 / yard:

• Wool/poly tropical blend • $18.95 / yard:
Pricing aside, which do you think is the best option? I'm guessing 100% is going to breath better than the poly blend, yeah? Any previous experience ordering from that supplier?

Any idea on what the top of her shirt/shoulderpads is made out of? I'm a novice seamstress so I don't have a lot of experience in identifying different types of fabric. I was also discussing her chestpiece with a few people and taking note of the canvas base as seen on the costume designer's Instagram (the post was deleted but a friend grabbed photos beforehand, I can post if anyone is interested--it showed the chestpiece under construction) and wondering just how much is leather and how much is other material. I'm looking into using actual leather for my build if I can (I'm worried about faux leather cracking in the future and I don't have a good history with foam). I've been studying screencaps of it all and it's all mostly a mystery to me.

I usually go with Mood for fabric, so I'll probably hit them up first.

Pricing aside, which do you think is the best option? I'm guessing 100% is going to breath better than the poly blend, yeah? Any previous experience ordering from that supplier?
I have heard the poly blend is good. I would probably go all wool, but that’s just how I roll. This is not the only place to locate wool fabric, I was just posting examples so folks are not afraid to explore lightweight wool suiting cloth. You can always get swatches in advance.

Their reputation is quite good, but I have not personally ordered from them, but likely will do so soon.

Any idea on what the top of her shirt/shoulderpads is made out of? I'm a novice seamstress so I don't have a lot of experience in identifying different types of fabric. I was also discussing her chestpiece with a few people and taking note of the canvas base as seen on the costume designer's Instagram (the post was deleted but a friend grabbed photos beforehand, I can post if anyone is interested--it showed the chestpiece under construction) and wondering just how much is leather and how much is other material. I'm looking into using actual leather for my build if I can (I'm worried about faux leather cracking in the future and I don't have a good history with foam). I've been studying screencaps of it all and it's all mostly a mystery to me.

I think it is leather.

I should have my swatches soon, but I've worked with apparel faux suede before and LOVE it! I made some Rise Of Skywalker Rey pants out of some amazing faux suede with stretch from Mood Fabrics and the weight and comfort is awesome. I think part of Sylvie's shirt is also a faux suede (except for arms and top of collar). At least, that's what I'll be working with :D
Which part? Looks kinda like 4-way.

Yes! Post that pic!

I'm certain this is an early mockup draft of the chestpiece due to the different straps on the back but it's still interesting to see how it was constructed in regards to where the fasteners are located. I know it was made with Sophia in mind but I am considering just going with a zipper up the back. Also take note of how some of the panels aren't connected on the bottom. I noticed this on the show; I think this was done to aid in ease of movement.

207872965_142453234646911_5587431800118082184_n.jpg
210741604_203154028361405_2828549462989658814_n.jpg
211144957_533698947984660_5026583406513821023_n.jpg

I'm certain this is an early mockup draft of the chestpiece due to the different straps on the back but it's still interesting to see how it was constructed in regards to where the fasteners are located. I know it was made with Sophia in mind but I am considering just going with a zipper up the back. Also take note of how some of the panels aren't connected on the bottom. I noticed this on the show; I think this was done to aid in ease of movement.

View attachment 1478493 View attachment 1478494 View attachment 1478495
Thank you!! Super helpful to see some of that detailing! I am also leaning towards a zipper up the back.

Post a photo?
Finally got some photos of the boots. (Bonus photo of my dog who was annoyed I was taking photos of something other than him for once!) Wore them around today. Very comfy arch support, just a couple of rub spots on the heel and top of the toes that will likely work out when they are broken in. They wound up shipping me the patent leather ones, which seeing as everything is sold out online I don't think I can exchange, so they are shinier than SA. Let me know if anyone wants photos of specific details.

Attachments

• boot front.jpeg
    boot front.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 193
  • boot inside.jpeg
    boot inside.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 189
  • boot outside.jpeg
    boot outside.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 189
  • attention starved puppy.jpeg
    attention starved puppy.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 193
Thanks for sharing these! Now that I see how this mockup is constructed, I think I'm seeing evidence that the fastenings are in the same place on the final version. Most of the shots are from her right side, as the good side of the armor. The seam on the left side of the front (as worn, where the zipper is in the early version) sits a little wider than that on the right, and in a couple of shots I think I can see the top band lifted away slightly behind her arm. Plus, a front fastening might be easier to put on and take off unless you have a long zipper pull.
I'm planning to do at least a test version in foam, potentially to do a leather version when I'm satisfied with my pattern. Does anyone have thoughts about how the leather is sewn or glued together?

Thanks for sharing these! Now that I see how this mockup is constructed, I think I'm seeing evidence that the fastenings are in the same place on the final version. Most of the shots are from her right side, as the good side of the armor. The seam on the left side of the front (as worn, where the zipper is in the early version) sits a little wider than that on the right, and in a couple of shots I think I can see the top band lifted away slightly behind her arm. Plus, a front fastening might be easier to put on and take off unless you have a long zipper pull.
I'm planning to do at least a test version in foam, potentially to do a leather version when I'm satisfied with my pattern. Does anyone have thoughts about how the leather is sewn or glued together?
I am curious about the canvas panels. What canvas are they? Are they the same as the canvas that would be hidden, once the the snaps are done up?

Also, for the leather front panels: is that braiding in the channels of the fronts (with gold end bits)? Flat rope? Shoelaces? Ha!

It looks like some parts have binding and others do not.

Finally got some photos of the boots. (Bonus photo of my dog who was annoyed I was taking photos of something other than him for once!) Wore them around today. Very comfy arch support, just a couple of rub spots on the heel and top of the toes that will likely work out when they are broken in. They wound up shipping me the patent leather ones, which seeing as everything is sold out online I don't think I can exchange, so they are shinier than SA. Let me know if anyone wants photos of specific details.
Very cool! Do these fit true to size? Big socks necessary?

(I will post photos of mine later in the week, fingers crossed!)

I will likely get a few swatches and go with what feels the nicest. I expect to make a cotton version as a tester, but might end up using it as well / as a backup, if it turns out okay.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back