SyFy's "Collection Intervention"

I have my collections. The problem I have is that I have lots of stuff, but no space to display it. I have a spare room in the house that looks like the storage warehouse at the end of Indiana Jones. 99% of the time I get something, I take it out to look at, then put it back in the box and in the spare room.

I do try to limit my collecting to a few interests. I have been tempted to buy something "new" but don't want to get sucked into a whole new collection of something.

haha i have that same problem and my fiancee hates it but i put up with her horse things so she doesnt mind, but i did end up having to get rid of my star wars collection and possibly my Gears of War collection cause the boxes they are in is just way to big with the lancers.

That's pretty cool they gave all the proceeds back to Rancho Obi Wan. Would really love to visit that place some day. Regarding the cat woman collector, I thought the same this about selling on eBay vs a fire sale at low prices. I guess they needed the money quickly. It was kind of sad to see that he had very little acceptance from his wife for collecting. This make me realize how lucky I am my wife "enables " my collecting. :)

It would be cool if (for fun) you could "volunteer" someone for the show.

I think it would be cooler if they featured one "bad" collector and one "how-it-should-be-done" collector
each episode.
The host mentioned several times about how to acquire, store and display collections
for best artistic, monetary and satisfaction value;
but didn't actually offer any examples of how to do that.

They should also spend more time on how to sell a collection to reap maximum value.
But that would take time and actually caring about the subjects of your show;
two things that run counter to the rushed, ratings oriented world of Reality TV.

Mike
My Firefly/Serenity Collection:
SerenityMovie.net :: View topic - Firefly/Serenity Weapons Collection

Im looking forward to seeing more of this show, I felt for the people under the spotlight, got a kick out of seeing their stuff and the host looks like she knows whats going on. This is one of those voyeuristic shows that I can invest in for once, and the format allows for tweeking in the future.

Here is a picture from the show. I can see eight Rancho volunteers in it, including me. You can also see the horrible sweater they handed me to wear up close and personal, apparently by this time in the auction I had given up on hiding my t-shirt.

I remember people mentioning that the Hollywood Treasures show had actors in the auction gallery. I can't believe these people have the nerve to call these reality shows when they are padding out the auction bidders.

I probably shouldn't watch this show but I'm simply curious what these collectors have. I caught a rerun of the first episode and I realized that all the shots were very quick so you would have to pause to catch if the collectors had anything really good.

I don't watch many reality shows but the best I've seen is the Chef Ramsay one.

I will say we weren't there to throw out some fake bids. We were offered paddles to bid, but every one of us turned them down. Only during the auction did I realize I should have said yes.
We really only filled in the seats because fifteen or so people didn't show. However, the editing changed how the auction really went.
I have the DVR set for the next episode, I look forward to seeing someone get key pieces of his collection sold for pennies on the dollar....er......

If the people arent getting a fair price on the items they put up for auction, then either this aspect of the production has to be changed or the sellers might want to ensure thier goods are auctioned under the best possible conditions. I was happy when the lady put the brakes on at one stage. If they removed the auction aspect of the program, then it would just be a see my collections and possible issues program.

I watched the first episode last week (I forgot it was on tonight) and enjoyed it. In the case of my model building and collecting, I admit I've asked myself if I am a "collector" or something that borders on "hoarding". Based on what I see, I seem to be more the collector type still, although I have to be careful not to drop off the deep end.

People collect for different reasons... some healthy and some not so healthy. And yes, several of us may poke fun at sports fans, but even in that hobby there are some that take things a bit too extreme (you hardly ever hear about them though). I've developed emotional attachments to things, such as the models I've built and completed. Selling one of those is not easy since I never bought or built it with any intention of selling it, but rather to enjoy it. And every person I have met who wanted to collect something I've told not to get in it for the investment value, but rather because you enjoy it. Those that try to collect thinking they are buying into a gold mine find themselves sadly mistaken at the end of it. NASCAR diecasts for instance have plummeted in value (not to mention Beanie Babies). Even SW stuff doesn't seem to have quite as much luster of late partly due to George seemingly giving fans the brushoff on certain things. Plus, there is the factor of the economy still being shakey, so it isn't as much of a sellers market for all the cheap stuff that many of us bought (action figures and other toys). The high end stuff keeps its value, but it can be harder to find buyers for it in some cases.

The show I find interesting and entertaining as I can empathize with the different collectors and what they may be feeling. Whether the show keeps my interest remains to be seen, but I watch it for the educational value of collecting as opposed to just wanting to laugh at some poor schmuck (which is what so many other "reality" shows have de-evolved into).

Can I ask you all something? I know that I don't have a big or really much of a collection like you all do, especially with the high end props, collectibles, or entertainment items, but....
If you all walked in on this show happening at your house what would you really do?!!!

I would go freaking ballistic and that is putting it very politely!!!!

I know that some of these are on the hoarder level but I mean it's not like shoes or cat food or cats... I could understand if it was a hoarder thing then yeah I could see that to a certain level but so far that wasn't the case ( close but not quite) yet.

What do you all think?

Later,
Doug

*snip*

Later,
Doug

I would probably not be too thrilled, but again, my collection isn't insanely unorganized as a lot of what that guy with the Joes. He is at hoarder level, I mean, there is no room for anything, and when you have stuff covering beds and whatnot, there IS a problem. Even the Barbie woman, she is taking up other peoples closets and whatnot, that becomes a problem. Coming from experience, when you have someone elses stuff starting to invade YOUR personal space, to the point where you can't even put YOUR OWN stuff in your closet, it is a huge problem. That essencially means, you have to find other places to put stuff, or take up floor space to compensate for loss of closet space.

Once again, this show proves how my collection is within very sane levels and that I don't have a problem. But, I did start thinking of what else I want to sell off from my collection...which was something that I predicted this show would make me do.

The second episode wasn't that good. But the G.I. Joe / Hot Wheels collector is what I expect of a real collector. He didn't want all those strangers going through his stuff. I know the feeling too.

The next one with the Transformers and comics looks good.

Their little GI Joe flea market got rid of about forty items.

Forty. Way to make a dent.

I did like how his stuff was displayed at the end of the episode, though. That's the kind of thing that should happen with this show. Elyse should show them how to display the best items and get rid of the superfluous crap.

The Barbie lady put together a nice booth. Still had a hard time parting with her stuff, but it beat a pathetic auction or flea market.

Hey all,
I am the comic collector on this Tuesday's Collection Intervention and just a heads up I'll be live tweeting it for some laughs and insight.

@TheJoeSlepski

on Twitter. Check me out. And I'm in LA, so the "live" tweeting will be on PST time, I haven't seen the episode yet myself.

thx!
-Joe

Hi Joe, welcome to the RPF.

From the previews your segment is something I've been looking forward to since the pilot aired. And as a Spidey fan I liked the part in the preview where you said something along the lines of "All these Amazing Spider-Man are going home with me" :).

Not enough time in a show to discuss "the thrill of the hunt" for a certain piece or how they just stumbled across a rare find. As stated before... They are looking for extreme collectors...while most of us are probably nowhere near that... There may be a few out there. Check out the Comic-Con movie-- has a small piece about a collector and his quest for a certain piece. I appreciate a passion about whatever you like to do...collecting-sports-creating....good times

I originally auditioned for this show and got a second audition callback, which i denied.

Basically when the first auditions went out, they only said they were making a show based on geeks who have geeky collections and they were going to do a positive competition style spin on the collections, but then closer to the second audition i found out that they were actually doing the whole intervention route so i backed out.

I dont regret it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back