SW The Old Republic Jedi Costume

Hi Echo4Delta!
You represent (? - I hope this is the right word) an impressive guardian.
I like the Jedi version very much and your armor is great! :thumbsup The fabric you used is exactly fitting and your light saber is so cool!
In my opinion you should reduce the sleeves a little bit (terminate them just below the elbows) so that your powerful guntlets are visible!

As I still have some problems with my undersuit, I´m really interested what kind of undersuit you will choose...

Good luck and keep it up!

Hi Echo4Delta!
You represent (? - I hope this is the right word) an impressive guardian.
I like the Jedi version very much and your armor is great! :thumbsup The fabric you used is exactly fitting and your light saber is so cool!
In my opinion you should reduce the sleeves a little bit (terminate them just below the elbows) so that your powerful guntlets are visible!

As I still have some problems with my undersuit, I´m really interested what kind of undersuit you will choose...

Good luck and keep it up!

Thanks Mark,

Yea the robe is not completed yet. It's just held together with about 50 safety pins for sewing later. I am doing a tutorial on foam building on another forum and here I am just sharing my progress. I plan on purchasing https://www.fabric.com/buy/0318244/hatchi-rib-knit-brown for the undersuit fabric and the pattern I picked up at my local Walmart, Simplicity "NewLook" #A6233 that has a pattern for long sleeve tee and draw string pants that I can pin and alter to be form fitting.

Stretch fabric is KEY.

This is a pic of what the pattern I bought looks like. I couldn't find a link for you.

IMG_20140204_144631_214.jpg

Thanks for posting all your progress Echo4Delta. I just bought some files for this costume from Fierfek and am a super newb. Still figuring out how to use the pepakura program so i can put the files together. Watching what you have done is helpful. You printed out the foam files, assembled them, then you take that larger completed part to cut your foam? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question. I am trying to read up on these forums whenever I can but I have very little free time.

This build looks really cool, I've never been good with foam. Can't seem to fit the pieces together correctly. Anyway great job, can't wait to see how this turns out.

Thanks for posting all your progress Echo4Delta. I just bought some files for this costume from Fierfek and am a super newb. Still figuring out how to use the pepakura program so i can put the files together. Watching what you have done is helpful. You printed out the foam files, assembled them, then you take that larger completed part to cut your foam? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question. I am trying to read up on these forums whenever I can but I have very little free time.

Yea, dude. General steps: (Most of which you can find on you tube. Try searching for pepakura and foam)

1.) Get the files
2.) Get the materials
3.) Measure and transfer into to files
4.) Use scotch tape to partially assemble paper printouts (Card stock)
5.) Test fit the semi assembled pieces
6.) Disassemble the card stock to transfer to the smooth side of the foam (Keep in mind you often need to flip the stencil to do the other side of the body, i.e. arm, shoulder, leg..)
6.a) I try to keep as much as the semi assembled paper pieces together as possible for foam transfer to make it easier to keep the glued edges seamless.
7.) Test fit on occasion to ensure you're not going too fast and wasting foam on something too small/too big.

Best resource:

http://www.therpf.com/f24/jfcustoms-foam-files-148889/

- - - Updated - - -

This build looks really cool, I've never been good with foam. Can't seem to fit the pieces together correctly. Anyway great job, can't wait to see how this turns out.

Practice. Practice. Practice

I used an entire roll of foam before I figured out a few things. Still learning.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks fantastic and very creative.

THIS is what Jedi should look like....say no to the Monk look!!!!

Rich

I don't mind the Monk look (Even tho its more Japanese tunics) as if they were formal dress. But, for war time... yup... armor baby!

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_20140407_170217_922.jpgIMG_20140407_170151_776.jpg

Shaping with thin coats of elmer's glue before plasti dip. A week long endeavor!

Last edited:
IMG_20140408_171642_013.jpgIMG_20140408_172531_144.jpgIMG_20140408_180149_195.jpg

I've decided to soak in some elmer's (White school craft) glue into the foam to make the pieces more rigid. From left to right you can see how a thin watered down layer can dry and still have a dull look. The more layers of glue, watered or not, will add rigidity but could build up too thick and start to crack when bent or manipulated too much. So, I will just add about four watered down glue treatments to fill in the foam's membranes to maintain the curved areas before I start spraying on plasti-dip to seal it for paint.

Just for careful sake, I will put two layers on after another with short wait times before I do another set of layers the following day. Here you should employ some common sense regarding drying times. A cool front just came through and the humidity dropped significantly, therefore my dry time between the two beginning layers were fairly short. By the time I completed the treatment on the second piece of foam armor the first piece was already dry.

Note: If you over expose an area you can correct it best when it is till in the wet phase. Using a damp rag (don't use paper towels they have fibers that can transfer) and simply wipe off the glue and reapply. Watch for runs/pooling areas like near the edges, valleys and corners where the glue likes to build up.

Here I've applied two coats of plasti-dip (black) and you can already see the results... The shinny pieces are wet the dull are dry.

IMG_20140409_142134_809.jpgIMG_20140409_142147_646.jpgIMG_20140409_142125_259.jpgIMG_20140409_142158_359.jpgIMG_20140409_142208_434.jpg

Ok, serious business here. You can buy all the materials, you can cut them to perfection. But, if you rush the paint... pfft!

So, here I tested a few things to see what looked best...

IMG_20140410_143352_970.jpg Here I used two different metallic spray paints. Silver and Silver (Satin)
IMG_20140410_144822_321.jpg(I used a sponge and applied watered down green acrylic) You can see the slight tint it gives. This method is called 'wash' or 'washing'
IMG_20140410_144640_913.jpgclose up view of how I applied it. I used verticle, horizontal, and cross strokes.
IMG_20140410_144439_311.jpgThen I used a damp paper towel to rub it in and absorb the thicker lines then dabbed on what I absorbed.
IMG_20140410_144113_646.jpgThe end result after two coats. After three or four I may have a good idea of what I will use. But the one on the right is looking pretty good.

IMG_20140410_144847_465.jpg

Here is the right one again up close.

TORJedi.jpg

See how the armor looks like it has a green tint (Jedi love their earth tones). Before the green tint/wash I will use a clean and dry paper towel to scrape off the tint/wash to show the metallic underneath along the edges and some of the bare areas to enhance the weathered/used look. To show weathering I will probably dab a paper towel in watered down brown (for rust).

IMG_20140410_180245_508.jpgIMG_20140410_180300_898.jpg

Two tones so far. Aluminum Collar and center chest and nickel satin

IMG_20140410_180307_556.jpgIMG_20140410_180253_379.jpg

Same for cod/belt. Aluminum for top and buckle, satin the rest.

How do you plan on having the utility pouches work? Will you use a belt? Or clip into the cod strap around the waist somehow?

I haven't found the material to do it with. But, I probably will use leather from a hobby shop or go to a resale shop and use a purse or something similar to make the pouches. I will put something light like foam or tissue to fill them out to simulate them being filled. I plan on using LEDs on the chest and gauntlets so i may use one for a 4x AA battery pack holder. I haven't made up my mind how I will wear the saber. I will probably adjust the under belt tight and reinforce it under by using Velcro right onto the body suit, as well as I will do with the rest of the armor pieces. Especially for the thighs and gauntlets to keep them from sliding up or down.

I saw someone who had a great idea for making pouches look full - he had put a piece of curved cardboard inside them, with the curve pressing on the front of the pouch. Lightweight, simple, and it meant he could still use the pouches, because there was a void behind the cardboard insert.

Loving the paint job, BTW. I can't wait to see it all finished!

I saw someone who had a great idea for making pouches look full - he had put a piece of curved cardboard inside them, with the curve pressing on the front of the pouch. Lightweight, simple, and it meant he could still use the pouches, because there was a void behind the cardboard insert.

Loving the paint job, BTW. I can't wait to see it all finished!

Ah, good idea! thanks, Yrien!

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, no more worrying about the body suit. I've found one from an Asian based company, probably well known within this community...

http://www.zentaizone.com/dark-brown-unicolor-spandex-unisex-zentai-suit-p-38.html

Dark Brown Lycra Spandex Unisex Zentai Suit  (12324).jpg

They take special instructions like having a crew collar that they gave me. It matches the color scheme close enough and they take special measurements, i.e. for breast size, large belly, thicker thighs...

Last edited:
Echo4Delta, Do you know if the Zentai place can fast track shipping? I was about to purchase with one store and they disappeared the night before I purchased. I guess I lucked out that I stalled on my order.

Echo4Delta, Do you know if the Zentai place can fast track shipping? I was about to purchase with one store and they disappeared the night before I purchased. I guess I lucked out that I stalled on my order.

I don't recall seeing anything about speeding up the shipping. But, I got mine in less than 10 days. Bought it on April 9, 2014 and they shipped it on April 12, 2014 and received it via FedEx on April 16th!

I even used the option to send them my measurements and requested that they modify the neck/collar. They e-mailed me back telling me that they will do it for me.

Only criticism I had was I that I had to wait another day because they (FedEx I guess) wanted me to sign for it and left me a note that I could sign for them to leave it at my door.

But, of course... if you order it on Fri/Sat, it may delay the shipping because of FedEx. This product is made in China.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back