SW Bossk's flightsuit: Found !!

DownInFlames

Ladies and gents,

I'm not sure if this is a "find" here at the RPF since there is so little discussed about Bossk (I ran a search and didn't come up with much).
Anyway, I really hope this will help people with their Bossk, Bo Shek and X-Wing pilot (flack vest) projects.

So here it goes....and with no further delay....I give you the infamous....
High-Altitude Windak Pressure Suit (1962) !!!!!!

Fully inflated:
http://www.pressuresuit.com/Images/Windak-bike-sm.jpg

Full view (don't know who the man on the picture is....):
http://www.forumastronautico.it/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2248.0;attach=3098;image

Close-up:
http://www.forumastronautico.it/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2248.0;attach=3099;image

This suit was developed by Baxter, Woodhouse and Taylor Ltd. to fulfil R.A.F. (Britain's Royal Air Force) requirements.

As you can see, the white flack vest is part of the suit, so I think it's safe to say that those worn by X-wing pilots were based on these.

Enjoy the pics !

DIF

Last edited:
Wonder if it was produced in different colors (considering it was developed for the R.A.F.) and if not where the mustard/tan color came from.

Great find. We always knew it was a pressure suit but not the exact model. They were used in other 60's sci-fi films as well.

If someone can score a vest, I'd be down for heading up having it reproduced exactly and do an open run.

It must have been in various colors from the dark blue one in this screenshot...plus the ANH cantina dude talking to OB1 wearing the black/dark blue one.

I'd love to see this suit done once and for all.....it's easier to find museum quality Bossk apendages and mask than it is to find a dead on accurate flightsuit which to me is crucial to pulling off the character....don't even get me started on the eye's and wetness factor. :lol

Last edited:
Thank you all for your comments !!

Chewbaccadoll, I think they might have been produced in different colors.
If you look at the first pic I posted it looks light in color compared to the blue one. Same thing if you look at the pic taken from the "First man on the moon" movie pic (not sure of the name of that film).
Regarding the material, it's definately not "jeans" material, I would say more of an isolating material, sails, water proof, skiing outfit, mountain climbing kind of thing?

Jez, what does IIRC mean?

Keep it coming !

The "flak vest" had been previously identified as a "RAF Jerkin" pressure vest, but this is the first time I've seen it matched with the full pressure suit (outside of movies).

The vest in the photo also matches details only seen on the screen used ones.

Now I guess the question is, was the RAF jerkin matched specifically to that pressure suit or was it a generic vest that happened to be paired with that pressure suit?

In any case it is a fantastic picture of that pressure suit and the vest. A great find indeed!

Thanks for your reply JHVanOphem.

Here is a Jerkin MK4 suit, seems different:
http://www.flightcorner.de/zubehoer/fc003_m.html

The RAF Jerkin System conmprised a pressure vest used with a P/Q mask and anti-G suit. Several variations included unsleeved, sleeved and integrated garments proven for short term protection to 18 km. Mk-1 Taylor and M.L. clam shell pressure helmets were used with the sleeved variant for short term protection to 30 km.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever located an actual flak vest like the screen used ones?
When I say located, I mean have in their possession.

Hey that is a great picture. I believe the Mk 4 is a newish model though, as the original does date from the early 60's. Also, as the description says, they had a bunch of different versions.

I can't find the original reference linking the flak vest to the name of RAF jerkin, so it is possible it was a mistaken reference to begin with?

I'll keep looking to see if I can find when the vest was "found" originally, but your picture is much clearer and also very direct on who the manufacturer was.

What? No love for BO SHek?

BoShekGlances-ANHHD.jpg

cvbnvcbn.jpg

Nick

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back