SUPERMAN LIVES (1998) poster

I agree with Mercurio fan, the two posters have difference, in the pic with the two posters the new logo has glow behind it and in the bottom center of the logo there is a lens flare, maybe the camera flash?
The gradients in the steel outer bars are different also.

I agree with Mercurio fan, the two posters have difference, in the pic with the two posters the new logo has glow behind it and in the bottom center of the logo there is a lens flare, maybe the camera flash?
The gradients in the steel outer bars are different also.

That is correct. I had forgotten to add that over the course of my research, I discovered the "high quality" image contained in this thread of the silver/black poster, is in fact a high quality reconstruction of the original that someone is trying to pass off as genuine. There are a number of different tells, including the ones you pointed out.

The only surviving image of the official Superman Lives (1998) poster, is the second smaller photograph contained in my original post. The official artwork was completed by conceptual illustrator Sylvain Despretz. The bright shift on the right of the poster is indeed glare from a camera flash. The original official poster has a Warner Bros. copyright logo on the bottom right corner (which you can barely make out).

Last edited:
Smith only rewrote the script - JJ Abrams had hi hands on it before Smith and two other writers before him. And just to clear things up - the exo suit was used at the end when Supes plugged into the Fortress for more power to defeat the bad guy - this was after Superman was killed and came back.

I LOVE that rerelease poster up there - how rare are those things?

Burton dismissed it and started over, but the idea of having Nick Cage as Superman didn't promise much hope for a good film, neither:
YouTube - ‪Kevin Smith about talk Superman‬‏
(not work safe)

Could not agree more; the casting alone would have sunk the film. Casting like that FORCES things to go (too far) in a non-traditional direction.

As for the Smith backstory, I knew he'd been telling it for years but I never caught up with it before. Good lord, that is insane stuff.

Let's try to keep this on topic. Two-thirds of this thread has turned into discussion about the film instead of reproducing the poster :).

Last edited:
tim-burton-superman.jpg

Now we know what Superman would look like if he came back as one of the Borg...........

JJ Abrams? I don't think so - in the late 90's? That doesn't make any sense.
it's totally possible... abrams was writing professionally in the mid/late-90s. WB should publish a coffee table book about the film... scripts, concept art, storyboards, costume test shots, etc. same for all of the stalled batman films. somebody get j.w. rinzler on the horn!

as for the poster, i've been working on a replica on and off for a while. it wouldn't take long at all if i could just devote some time to it.

Last edited:
JJ Abrams? I don't think so - in the late 90's? That doesn't make any sense.

I know so. School is now is session

Armageddon (screenplay)

1997 Gone Fishin' (written by / as Jeffrey Abrams)

1992 Forever Young (written by / as Jeffrey Abrams)

1991 Regarding Henry (written by / as Jeffrey Abrams)

1990 Taking Care of Business (written by / as Jeffrey Abrams)

He's been writing for a long time - He penned one of the version of Superman Lives.

there's the bell

Sorry - now back to the poster.

it's totally possible... abrams was writing professionally in the mid/late-90s. WB should publish a coffee table book about the film... scripts, concept art, storyboards, costume test shots, etc. same for all of the stalled batman films. somebody get j.w. rinzler on the horn!

as for the poster, i've been working on a replica on and off for a while. it wouldn't take long at all if i could just devote some time to it.

Any chance of seeing where you're at right now :)?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back