Superjedi's 32" Falcon

superjedi

Sr Member
Hi all,
I've been working on a studio scale Millennium Falcon off-and-on for quite a while now. I'm in the military, so hobby time is at a premium. Lately, I've had a burst of energy to get this puppy done, so I finished up some small details on the hull and got it to the point where it's ready to paint.
I found a color which I really like for the base coat. It's Rustoleum "Clean White Primer", which is actually a very pale gray, but it gives that dirty white shade I really like. The main body of the model is still drying, but I painted some smaller detail parts the other day, starting with the upper gun turret. I used various acrylic grays and rusts, then used brown and gray pastels for the weathering.
Enjoy the pics. The third one shows my turret next to the ERTL turret. More to come.
Eric

Hey Eric

I didn´t know you are into studio-scale modeling as well :eek
GREAT WORK SO FAR...

Keep the pics coming :)

Markus

Hi Markus.
Yeah, this is the ONLY studio scale model I've done. And it will be the LAST one too. LOL
More pics coming this weekend.
Eric

UPDATE Sept. 10th.
Whew. Been doing a lot of painting the last several days. Pretty much everything on the upper hull aft of the cockpit tube is painted. I used acrylics for the contrasting panels, just the regular craft type paints found at most hobby stores. Then I continued to use pastels to do the weathering and shading. I just have to go back and check my reference pics and pick out a couple more "damaged" areas.
More pics.

I have built and painted that ship 3 times- it is looking good the paint job and weathering accuracy are key for a great repro of the EFX model- you are doing great.

P

UPDATE Sept 13th:

Got a bunch more painting/detailing done on the Falcon over the last few days. Now basically the whole upper hull is done, and I'm starting on the side walls. I've always loved the "guts on the outside" look of the models from Star Wars, especially the Falcon.
I wanted to replicate the small markings seen all over the hull of the ship, but because I'm using pastels, I can't use regular water slide decals, cuz as soon as I touch them to the model, my weathering will puddle up. So what I'm using are dry transfers (rub-ons). I bought one sheet of small lettering, and I'm using the straight letters and tiny punctuation marks off the sheet. For the small colored markings, I bought a couple more sheets of dry transfers made for "pine cars." They have small red, yellow, and blue stripes, and some other odd shapes, and basically I'm just cutting them out to simulate the markings on the Falcon.
I really appreciate everybody's enthusiastic comments so far. Enjoy the latest pics. Oh yeah, BTW, my wife is on vacation with our "good" digicam. . . so these pics are a bit lower in quality than the last batch.
And no, I'm not offering this as a kit. This is a one-time build :)
Eric

Your paint job is just wonderful. I assume you are spraying those acrylics. Got any tips on using those paints with an airbrush? Type of thinner, pressure, etc...??

What type of pastels are you using for weathering? Pastel pencils, or sticks? Ground into powder? Using any fixative?

Whatever you are doing, you are getting great results.

Marcus

Originally posted by eightperf@Sep 14 2005, 06:16 PM
Your paint job is just wonderful.  I assume you are spraying those acrylics.  Got any tips on using those paints with an airbrush?  Type of thinner, pressure, etc...??

What type of pastels are you using for weathering?  Pastel pencils, or sticks?  Ground into powder?  Using any fixative? 

Whatever you are doing, you are getting great results.

Marcus
[snapback]1077250[/snapback]​

First off, thanks all for the encouraging words. It seems like the more I get painted, the more amped I am to do more :)

Eightperf, the ONLY spraying I did was the base coat. All the colored panels that you see were individually masked off and brush painted. I just "stippled" the paint on with the tip of a flat brush so there wouldn't be any brush marks. Time consuming? Yeah, but not as time consuming as masking off the ENTIRE model in order to airbrush each different color.
For the pastels, I'm using a basic 24 color set of chalk sticks (made by "Prang") I picked up at Michael's. I'm only really using about 6 of the shades, black, gray, light gray, rust, tan, and brown. I grind each color into its own little "pile" of powder on one large sheet of sandpaper, and then use that as a palette. I can blend the colors that way to get different shades of gray/brownish gray/charcoal, etc.
I'm nearly done with the top hull. More pics once I start on the belly.

UPDATE: Sep 18th:

The top hull is finished. I've flipped her over now, and started working on the bottom.

Not so many contrasting panels on the lower hull, but still doing the all-over pastel weathering. I've gotten about 1/4 of the bottom done as of today. Reference pics of the lower hull are harder to find. Most of them focus on the section below the cockpit, and some others of the right side, but shots of the lower left side of the Falcon are few and far between.

Anyway, here's some pics of the lower hull in progress.
Eric

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back