Superjedi's 32" Falcon

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by superjedi, Sep 6, 2005.

1. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Hi all,
    I've been working on a studio scale Millennium Falcon off-and-on for quite a while now. I'm in the military, so hobby time is at a premium. Lately, I've had a burst of energy to get this puppy done, so I finished up some small details on the hull and got it to the point where it's ready to paint.
    I found a color which I really like for the base coat. It's Rustoleum "Clean White Primer", which is actually a very pale gray, but it gives that dirty white shade I really like. The main body of the model is still drying, but I painted some smaller detail parts the other day, starting with the upper gun turret. I used various acrylic grays and rusts, then used brown and gray pastels for the weathering.
    Enjoy the pics. The third one shows my turret next to the ERTL turret. More to come.
    Eric

2. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

Looks like it's coming along nicely. I love the weathering job.

Sean

3. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah the weathering is really looking nice. Need more pics :D

JDH

4. Pauleysolo

Pauleysolo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nicely done

5. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Eric

I didn´t know you are into studio-scale modeling as well :eek
    GREAT WORK SO FAR...

Keep the pics coming :)

Markus

6. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Hi Markus.
    Yeah, this is the ONLY studio scale model I've done. And it will be the LAST one too. LOL
    More pics coming this weekend.
    Eric

7. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

UPDATE Sept. 10th.
    Whew. Been doing a lot of painting the last several days. Pretty much everything on the upper hull aft of the cockpit tube is painted. I used acrylics for the contrasting panels, just the regular craft type paints found at most hobby stores. Then I continued to use pastels to do the weathering and shading. I just have to go back and check my reference pics and pick out a couple more "damaged" areas.
    More pics.

8. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

Whoa...looking good.

9. Pauleysolo

I have built and painted that ship 3 times- it is looking good the paint job and weathering accuracy are key for a great repro of the EFX model- you are doing great.

P

10. frosty

frosty Sr Member

really nice work, the paintjob must be a pain to get right, all those nicks blast marks etc

11. Hirohawa

Hirohawa Sr Member

Are you going to sell this as a kit?

Looks awesome.

12. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

UPDATE Sept 13th:

Got a bunch more painting/detailing done on the Falcon over the last few days. Now basically the whole upper hull is done, and I'm starting on the side walls. I've always loved the "guts on the outside" look of the models from Star Wars, especially the Falcon.
    I wanted to replicate the small markings seen all over the hull of the ship, but because I'm using pastels, I can't use regular water slide decals, cuz as soon as I touch them to the model, my weathering will puddle up. So what I'm using are dry transfers (rub-ons). I bought one sheet of small lettering, and I'm using the straight letters and tiny punctuation marks off the sheet. For the small colored markings, I bought a couple more sheets of dry transfers made for "pine cars." They have small red, yellow, and blue stripes, and some other odd shapes, and basically I'm just cutting them out to simulate the markings on the Falcon.
    I really appreciate everybody's enthusiastic comments so far. Enjoy the latest pics. Oh yeah, BTW, my wife is on vacation with our "good" digicam. . . so these pics are a bit lower in quality than the last batch.
    And no, I'm not offering this as a kit. This is a one-time build :)
    Eric

13. Pauleysolo

It is looking great- this is pickint nits--but your red markings could be a little more "rust red " in color

14. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Looks great , very nice :thumbsup

15. f1racer

f1racer New Member

Dude,
    Your Falcon is awesome........ great paint job and surface details.........

16. vistaVision

vistaVision Well-Known Member

Your paint job is just wonderful. I assume you are spraying those acrylics. Got any tips on using those paints with an airbrush? Type of thinner, pressure, etc...??

What type of pastels are you using for weathering? Pastel pencils, or sticks? Ground into powder? Using any fixative?

Whatever you are doing, you are getting great results.

Marcus

17. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

Love the cockpit.

18. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

First off, thanks all for the encouraging words. It seems like the more I get painted, the more amped I am to do more :)

Eightperf, the ONLY spraying I did was the base coat. All the colored panels that you see were individually masked off and brush painted. I just "stippled" the paint on with the tip of a flat brush so there wouldn't be any brush marks. Time consuming? Yeah, but not as time consuming as masking off the ENTIRE model in order to airbrush each different color.
    For the pastels, I'm using a basic 24 color set of chalk sticks (made by "Prang") I picked up at Michael's. I'm only really using about 6 of the shades, black, gray, light gray, rust, tan, and brown. I grind each color into its own little "pile" of powder on one large sheet of sandpaper, and then use that as a palette. I can blend the colors that way to get different shades of gray/brownish gray/charcoal, etc.
    I'm nearly done with the top hull. More pics once I start on the belly.

19. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

UPDATE: Sep 18th:

The top hull is finished. I've flipped her over now, and started working on the bottom.

Not so many contrasting panels on the lower hull, but still doing the all-over pastel weathering. I've gotten about 1/4 of the bottom done as of today. Reference pics of the lower hull are harder to find. Most of them focus on the section below the cockpit, and some others of the right side, but shots of the lower left side of the Falcon are few and far between.

Anyway, here's some pics of the lower hull in progress.
    Eric

20. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

Beautiful. Would you discussing some of your weathering techniques?

Sean

21. star-art

star-art Sr Member

Wow. I can *truly* appreciate all the hard work you put into this. These kind of projects can take years of dedication and effort. Very nice.

:cheers

22. Lello999

Lello999 Well-Known Member

Impressive, very impressive. :eek :eek :eek :eek

23. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

As far as weathering goes, it's 99% pastel weathering. I first mask/paint any conrasting panels on the hull, like the large "rust" colored panels, or the various darker grays. After that, I use a set of 24 colored chalk pastels I got at Michael's. I'm only using a few of the colors though.
    I take the pastels and grind them onto a large sheet of sandpaper, different colors all on one sheet, so I wind up with little piles of colored chalk dust. Then I use a variety of cheapy paint brushes to kind of streak the colors onto the model. For most of the hull overall, I'm using medium gray, and gray mixed with some beige, just to get some tonal variation. I start with a 1/2" wide brush and LIGHTLY put some color down on the model. I pull the brush in the direction I want the weathering to go. For example, on the upper hull, it's streaked from the center (gun turret) toward the edges of the hull. On the lower hull, it's reversed. (Think about how water would flow over the surface if this doesn't make sense.)
    After the basic gray tones are laid down, I go back using my reference pics and see if there are other variations. Some panels are kind of blue-gray, some are more of a straight tan. So I used a slightly smaller chisel tipped brush to lay on the varying colors.
    Once that's done, I look at those darker streaks all over the hull. Using a size '00' brush, I use black pastel powder and pull that down the surface as well. The key is to let the color build up with 2 or 3 passes, and not try to get those dark smears in one pass. The thing with pastels is that the dust is so fine, it actually gets into the pores of the paint, and even though you can take off some of it if you make mistakes (using a damp cloth), it will actually stain the surface of the model. After the weathering is applied, I take a brush with pretty stiff bristles, and go back and brush over everything to remove any loose chalk.
    I really like using pastels, especially for something of this size. It's quick, the chalk sticks last FOREVER (the set I'm using now I've had for more than 5 years), and you can go from color to color instantly without waiting for anything to dry. And there's hardly any cleanup involved. . . unless you knock your piece of sandpaper off the table like I did the other day. Then you have to vacuum it up before the wife asks you why there are a bunch of colored spots on the carpet. :D
    After the pastels are applied, you also have to be careful not to touch the surface. Otherwise you can risk smudging your smudges. Pastels can be sealed using a clear coat, but keep in mind that a gloss clear will tend to "eat up" your work. Something about how the particles in the gloss medium lay on the surface. I always use Testors Dullcote for sealing pastels. It protects them, and doesn't take away any of the work you've done.
    Sheesh, that went longer than I thought. Hope that helps.
    Eric

24. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

Man, I've wanted to do one of these for YEARS - I've got megs and megs of reference shots and tutorials waiting for the day I'm up to the task.
    A daunting endeavor...

Eccellent Work. :thumbsup

25. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Any updates on this, thats one beautiful bird.

26. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Hi.
    I completely forgot to link to my photos once I completed the Falcon.. . :$
    Here's my photobucket album. It contains a LOT of pics of the model. Some include a ruler to show scale.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b20/superjed...Scale%20FALCON/

Ralphee,
    I've been following your progress on the FM 1/72 Falcon. Looks good. I'm still in the assembly phase with mine. Hopefully should be ready to start painting in a couple of weeks.

Eric

27. REL

REL Sr Member

Man that is awesome.

28. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Very nice superjedi, just been looking throught your folder, thats a great falcon, i hope some day ill get my own :p Yeah as for now the FM one will suffice, thanks for the pics....

29. lambotour

lambotour Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Excellent work Eric :thumbsup Thanks for posting those ref shots.

30. Chewie15

Chewie15 Sr Member

Man, that's really awesome.

I just wish that a kit like this would be made available for people to buy and paint... MR has really left a bad taste in my mouth me with that stupid AT-AT ordeal and I can just see something going wrong in that direction with the Falcon :( I wish there was a decent kit to make...

Great work though. I'm dreaming now :D

H

31. RickDTM

RickDTM Sr Member

Your Falcon is incredible....

I 2nd Howard's lament..

32. tk1608

tk1608 Sr Member

That's fantastic .. brilliant job.
    Can I ask what you used to make the sensor dish please ?

Thanks

Phil tk1068

33. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Thanks for the continued comments, guys. I've shown off my pics on photobucket to people at work, and they all think I'm nuts. :lol

Phil, for the sensor dish, I actually used the little clear display base from the old ERTL Darth Vader's TIE Fighter model kit. Just sanded down the logo, and added detailing. I can't take credit for the idea though. . . I know I had read it somewhere. Maybe on Mr. Ketzer's or Mr. Moeslund's website, I can't remember now. It worked out pretty good though. :thumbsup

34. tk1608

tk1608 Sr Member

Thanks a lot for the help on the dish...I wouldn't have thought of that.
    I gotta have a go at building this thing..one day.

Phil tk1608