Superior+Edge of Time+Amazing Spider-Man Costume Made From Scratch

this suit is pretty cool. i like the thick stitching and the web shooters came out nice, i think. all those hexagons REALLY make a difference. man, that must be ridiculously time-consuming.

I found LePage gel control (used to be loc-tite) bonds urethane to fabric very well, just be sure you get it right the first time cause there's no goin back!

Wow, I wish I had the time and patients to be able to do something like this!

I really like the webbing effect, I think it resembles something that Peter would have made for himself in his early days, very natural and organic look to it!

I think you should be proud!

School is HECTIC. I haven't really made any mad progress that's worth posting pictures of exactly. I installed an invisible zipper in my crotch, off to the side so it's very stealth. Especially cuz it's next to the thick black... Stitching that goes down the middle. And once things are even more puff painted, it definitely won't be visible. I also bought some like, white transparent-ish iridescent paint. I tried to apply it on the back spider, but it just doesn't look right. Even after I painted a thin layer of the red over it.

THIS IS WHERE I NEED HELP/ADVICE
Can anyone tell me:
1. The absolute best glue to stick urethane to fabric. I've been using gorilla glue, and I can peel the urethane spiders off the fabric.
2. What is the best way to make the back spider iridescent. Specifically like it was in the amazing spiderman, where it reflects light very well and shimmers/changes shades.

Thanks for everyone's support. :D
For attaching the urethane rubber to the fabric I recommend using fabri-tac fabric glue. Just scuf up the back side of the urethane with some sand paper so that the glue will have more to stick to.
And for the back spider there is a company called "createx". They make iridescent paint that's made for fabrics, it's made for airbrush but you can brush it on with a paint brush. The only problem is that I don't know if the paint will stick to the urethane, so a solution to this might be to mix the iridescent paint with puff paint and brush it on. This might work because puff paint is technically a rubber and rubber usually sticks to itself. Just run some test on a scrap or off cut piece of urethane and see what works for you:).

I would love to keep this thread updated with news on the costume, but most of it is just painting the honeycombs and sewing the red lines. But I can share what did in some places. :D ehh?

To simulate the amazing spiderman costume and how the weblines are kinda surrounded by bright red on the fabric. To try to pull this off, I bought Prima Color Crimson Markers, but they run out so quickly that I've had to buy soo many. And they're soo expensive. But I commited so I stick it out. I then fill in the areas in between webs with that color to a degree. For muscle shading or emphasis, I use black instead of that crimson red. This is how the inside of the mask looks, so you can see what I mean.

MYoPz1q.jpg

I added a crotch zipper, which is pretty hard to see. :D I couldnt buy one and thus had to cut it out of an old, black, spiderman zentai costume. But after all the stitching and black hexagons it will be super invisible.
I really need to get shoes, totally make the boots, and totally make the other glove. ALL BY HALLOWEEN! :O Ahhh!!!

P.S. I have a beautiful, BEAUTIFUL Spiderman costume idea/design in the works.

Last edited:
Halloween was A BLAST! I made the boots and although the costume is not done, people couldnt tell at all. I used sew on hooks and eye closures to hook the boots into the legs, and will do the same for the gloves. I need to stitch the mask so that its tight on my jaw and neck. There are many things to do, but its almost done.

Wbe0eBl.jpg

BfrUE6D.jpg

DlsvPuy.jpg

Im also going to get rid of the belt part inbetween the main red middle and the red stitching. Im almost positive it will look better.

This came out as I expected...which is incredibly cool-looking. I would've voted for something like this for the ASM sequel. It fits the tone of the first movie better than the new suit. Great job man, it looks great on you.

OKay, So, I got rid of the red belt merging in with the man red part. It looks significantly better. Much more slim, but I still keep the belt everyone loves. :D Here are some pictures from the con I went to. Everyone was amazed with it, and when they found out I totally made it myself, flipped out. :D Same thing happened at school on halloween, but on a much larger scale. The principal personally talked to me about how I have a great future or whatever. xD

Heres what I learned from making this suit, which will definately help me with my next one:

1.) The paint is coming right off in some places, so I have a theory that hairdrying pffy paint instead of letting it soak into the fabric to dry makes it not so permanent. In other words, dont try to speed up the drying process of puffy paint.
2.) Gorilla Glue is ****ty at binding urethane to fabric.
3.) Dont use pen to fill in those gaps in between webs to get the amazing spiderman look. Next time, I will lay down frog tape everywhere (after testing it on different fabric of course) the webs will be.Then Ill Airbrush/spray paint with the tape on so I can do clean muscle shading on the red.
4.) Dont paint the costume while its stretched, kinda. Mainly just on the neck, because i did that with the mask and it was loosey goosey.
5.) Scotch Guard/use a water repellent spray on your costume, for sure.
6.) Use some defogging agent for your mask lenses. Like the ones used in motorcycle helmets.

Also, seeing the smile on childrens faces when they see me (spiderman) has got to be one of the best feelings I've ever had. I need to save this costume maybe, because my next one is going to be very, very scary.

wFDrlBd.jpg

c7na7t3.jpg

Rp0d6sV.jpg

eI3avVP.jpg

And last but not least...

4EDTvFm.jpg

I appreciate everyones support. :D Quick Question, How do I wash this thing?

Last edited:
As I've said before, this is one of my favorite Spidey projects on the forum. Glad to see it all come together for you!

And yea, hand wash gently in the sink.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back