Styrospray 1000: A guide through experience

Vincent Hung

I joined a few years back to see some images my cousin linked. Finally got bit by the bug, and started work on a couple costumes with a foam base. I've tried a few different ways of sealing and strengthening the foam pieces based on recommendations found here, but as of yet, haven't found a whole lot of information for styrospray 1000. I've decided to give it a try, and will be posting my experiences with it, step-by-step in hopes of provided information for others to maybe consider it.

Styrospray 1000 is a part A part B 1:1 ratio mixture that is meant for covering foam to protect it while retaining its lightness. It's used for a large variety of items, such as outdoor signs, displays, and props for plays and movies. One reason I was drawn to it over stuff such as smooth-cast is because it has a longer dry time, allowing for doing multiple pieces, and also has a much longer work time. The site lists it as unlimited when in a sealed container, and shows examples of it being used a day after being mixed. It wil very slowly harden in the container, but will last long enough to do multiple coats needed to properly cover an item.

What you get:
IMG_0752[1].JPG
For the purpose of this trial, I ordered the 2 liter trial pack as opposed to the 2 gallon standard order. It cost me $55 shipped, and can be ordered by phone only from Industrial Polymers. You can check them out at www.industrialpolymers.com. IP claims that these will last about 6 months in their original containers after being opened for initial use. From my research online, I've read people claiming to have used 1-2 year old styrospray without any issues.

As with all chemical reactions, use of proper protection is a must. It can be brushed on, or sprayed on. I am brushing it on, and so, only gloves is needed. After having done my first coat, I have decided I will also use a simple respirator. It's a lot like using house paint, so while you don't need the respirator, the fumes will eventually
affect you.

For this first test, I will be coating 3 "junk" pieces I made with 2mm foam from Jackieisrockin's Iron Man MK 42 files. These pieces are from the forearm, and has one piece coated with mod podge, and the other without. The 3rd piece is also coated in mod podge, and was also done to see how this stuff deals with more complicated surfaces.

IMG_0753[2].JPGIMG_0754[1].JPGIMG_0755[1].JPG

To measure my mixture, I used 2 small plastic cups. Since this stuff has a long work time when in a sealed container, I didn't worry too much about making too much. Part A is amber colored, and has the consistency of syrup. Part B is white, and is very thick. It's hard to describe, but I guess it's similar to honey with how thick and sticky it is.

When mixing the styrospray 1000, IP suggests using a large syringe for part B. This is because part B comes in a paint can, and pouring it will be messy in addition to its thickness making it hard to be exact with the amount. As I did not have one, I decided to spoon it into my small cup with a plastic spoon.

After being mixed, the mixture will have an off white color. It does take a bit of time to mix it completely, so be patient. Once it is completely mixed, it has the consistency of house paint.

IMG_0756[1].JPGIMG_0757[1].JPG

Using the brush on method, I was able to use the styrospray just like house paint. It was runny when globbed on, but very easy to spread out. This stuff naturally sets on its own, so I didn't have to worry too much about being perfectly even. I did immediately not that the non-sealed foam took the styrospray well enough, but it didn't go on smooth, and when fully covered, it seemed to separate in areas. As opposed to the sealed pieces that produced much smoother coats. This is also an issue with the pieces being vertical. Something that's horizontal, such as a chest plate, probably won't have this kind of problem, because the styro-spray won't be fighting gravity as much.

IMG_0758[1].JPG vs IMG_0760[1].JPG and IMG_0761[1].JPG

That does it for the first coat, and this first post. The styrospray 1000 takes an hour to dry and 24 hours to cure. So additional coats may be done each hour. I'll update once I've done my second coat on these test pieces.

Thanks for the awesome write up. I've never heard of it but it might be worth taking a look at.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back