Studio scale X-Wing Salzo V4 painting guide my way....RED5

That sure is the best Red 5 I have seen!

I also really appreciate you taking the time to show the step by step progress

Thanks again folks, I am super stoked by your responses. I will be doing another V4 in the near future as either Red 4/Bue 4, or Red 2. I am thinking of doing a tutorial for the masking and airbrushing if anyone wants to see that kind of thing. Thanks again everyone.

Thanks again folks, I am super stoked by your responses. I will be doing another V4 in the near future as either Red 4/Bue 4, or Red 2. I am thinking of doing a tutorial for the masking and airbrushing if anyone wants to see that kind of thing. Thanks again everyone.

I would be interested. Never too late to learn new tricks or see how others go about it

Please do! Amazing work! Love the base too! It's a great touch to a beautiful piece.

Sean

Thanks for the great detailed presentation and video. A question if I may: how did you determine the details for the starboard side behind the canopy? I've never seen decent references for this area. You pointed out how closely you tried to follow the real miniature - do you fee the same way about your SB side? In other words, would your build be a good reference for me?

Cheers,

K.

Thanks for checking it out.
As for the starboard side, that's a good question Keiko.
Ive been checking references for years, as I'm sure all us X wing nuts have. The starboard side isn't so bad for reference as it may seem. There are many shots of top, rear oblique, and other angles which I think cover most of it. Some are more detailed than others but most are pretty good.
These are some reference images which may help you. I have grabbed these over the years and have no idea who took them or if the photographers are likely to take offence, but here they are anyway. Thanks to whoever took these images, and apologies in advance for not being able to post your names here.
!cid_image001_jpg@01D1FE06.jpg

!cid_image003_jpg@01D1FACE.jpg

ir4.jpg

Obviously there are variations in colour temp between these images, and some are scanned 4 colour printed magazine images, but they show most of the detail. Some may be missed by me, but I try my best to make a nice "forgery", if you get my drift. There are many more on the interweb, I'm always looking in my spare time.
I hope these help out.

Heres something for the experts to check out.
On an entirely different vane, here is a picture of an unknown to me system of covering the folding wing assembly on a moving armature. I believe it shows a flexible membrane mounted to the top and bottom edges of the wing roots. It looks to me as if it will fold into the centre when the wings are together. If anyone knows of this on the filming miniature please post it here as I have been toying with this as an add on for ages.
membrane thing.jpg

Cheers X wingers.

Thanks for the great reply, Flyscriber. I do have all the same references you've shown here, collected no doubt the same way as you have - careful saving of everything I see of interest through the years. Nonetheless, your interpretation is quite helpful. I can see clearly on areas of your build certain areas that are hard to interpret on the references. However, when I re-examine them having seen your "answer", it becomes more clear what I'm looking at. In my file archive, I have my references and then a subfolder called "replicas" that is my back-up to sketchy areas that help me fill in the blanks. I've saved your work there along with several other great builds over the years.

To me, the "membrane" you're noting just looks like the detail that slips into the wing root to hide the hinge - the same part you hold in place with magnets on your build. It seems to be visible in some scenes:
SWIV_7187.jpg

But not others:
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-13205.jpg

Cheers,

K.

Love your work, Flyscriber.

I currently have a V4 under construction. This one will be Red 6, for my personal collection.

Attachments

• A2558B63-A449-4A25-B6AF-5327F1134C84.jpeg
    A2558B63-A449-4A25-B6AF-5327F1134C84.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 230
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back