Studio Scale TOS Enterprise(11.25 feet)

Always enjoy a good update, and this one is of no exception.

Living in Colorado it does not get as hot as AZ. But I have noticed that a evaporative cooler helps allot in slowing the drying times of paints. Not only in temperature, but the added humidly is a huge help on those hot and dry days.

If u decide to produce a kit.im def in to grab one! I had a 6 footer and sold it. Poor quality.. your is AMAZING! would rather build the beast anyway! GREAT JOB!

Nice build you've got going there. I had a request to do one in this scale and just kind of laughed at the thought. Can't wait to see this done. Nothing like going bid huh? Go big, or go home... LOL!

I've been following this thread with great interest - fantastic work! My highest compliments!

Some thoughts: the original 11-footer was never finished on the left side. I always thought it was to hide the wires for the electrical system. But the model originally had no lights. So why did they skip the left side then? To save time?

But I'm guessing that yours will be finished on both sides, right?

Will you be using the 3-foot model as a reference for the left side details, or just mirror the details on the right? (The 3-footer is the only "official"/canon model to sport the details on the left side).

The left side was finished originally, but was changed when the lights were added. You can see the left side details in "Mirror, Mirror".

Well, if the left side could not be filmed, then the reversed decals were a brilliant idea don't you think?

UNTIL THEY ADDED THE COLORED UPPER SAUCER LIGHTS!

Yes, the lights were all originally white (clear), but were changed to resemble ship/aircraft lights for the TV show (in 1966 I believe) with red on the left and green on the right of the upper saucer.

A nice detail that would have messed up the reverse decal plan entirely.

I've always thought that one of the strangest aspects of the 11-footer is that unfinished left side. And yet, when the TV show was on the air through the early 70's, I never noticed! I just assumed that the model was complete.

P.S. - there seems to be some photographic evidence that they also tried the colored lights on the lower saucer as well for a time - it can barely be seen in some episodes, even though the colors are washed out.

As far as the lights go; all they had to do is to unscrew them and switch them. When I saw the big E in the 70's the saucer nav lights were a red light bulb and a green light bulb just screwed into a socket sunk just the right depth so that you only saw the top. But then again why bother.

It was a job all right, but I think it's unfair to say they didn't care
The reason I said that, to them it was just another show. Nobody had any idea what it would become. For all they knew it wouldn't get past the first pilot much less the second. When/if the series got picked up, they live season to season.

It goes without saying that they cared about doing a good job. After all if they made that model look good, it could mean more work. A lot of the guys that worked on the show were not into sci-fi. But look what they did, because they cared about making the best show possible.

I agree with the commander. If they really were concerned they would have paid closer attention many things including the decals being reversed yet not flipping the film. There are many many scenes of the Enterprise were if you freeze it you can see the decals are backwards but it is the correct side showing. They were under budgeted and behind schedule hence the many mistakes. Here is an example from "Miri" if I'm not explaining myself well.

How it appears in the episode; notice the registry numbers are not only turned 180 degrees but are also reversed:
zzzz2.jpg

Same image as above but mirrored; see the decals are correct here but of course we never saw this view in the series:
zzzz-1.jpg

I'm sure it was never finished. If you look at the model now the unfinished side does not have details that would have been there had both sides been finished at one time. Two things come to mind; the first being the forward side of the secondary hull that attaches the dish housing is not on the unfinished side. Also a biggie is the inside nacelle detail where it is cut into the side is not there. In other words it is a complete cylinder without the inboard details. I'll see if I can dig up a photo.

EDIT:
Here are photos of what I'm trying to say, lol
zzzz-3.jpg

The side should match what we are seeing on the bottom (that also matches the other side)

zzz-2.jpg

Last edited:
zzz-2.jpg

This is part of why I say people wouldn't want a truly accurate model of the 11 footer. This is what you would have to do to have an accurate model.

Considering how I'm making the nacelles I could recreate it.
nacelle1.jpg

But it would detract from the look of the model, and severely limit it's display options.
I would get endless questions of why I didn't finish the model. So better to make it look more like what people's perception's are.

thebige.png

When you look at this image, would you notice the lack of symmetry in the 2nd hull? Most likely not(if it wasn't pointed out). But then there is more interesting things going on in the image, to even notice the 2nd hull. It's an old trick.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back