Studio Scale TIE Fighter

I guess the hardest part of making a true hero armature is finding the correct size tubing.I checked 1" conduit but it seemed a tad to big.

Jason good luck,I would love to see an accurate Hero armature.

Dave

realize this is not canon, but a simply engineering fix (if i was there from initial design)? -- instead of one rod (wing-to-wing) have two outer rods, then the inner piece is a pipe, where the two outer rods fit into. adjust the length as you need, then tighten the rod to pipe connection.

Yeah, the original armature was a machined central piece that socketed into two "pipes" .. those ILMers knew their stuff!

Luckily I built an interceptor and also got a Hero TIE, I'm gonna swap the fuselage from my interceptor and use the interceptor for my hero TIE. I thought my wings were too close to the fuselage on my interceptor. This will solve my problem nicely.

Dave :)

Hey Dave,so is the armature on your Interceptor 13".Do you believe the armature on the Hero should be 13".Hope everything works out with the swap.

Dave

honestly I can't answer that, but it will certainly look right between my two kits. Now if I am just lucky enough to remove my interceptor wings without destroying them.

Nope, the armature will still have to be cut. I say that without absolute certainty. I can't know for sure until I build up my Hero wings. If I build them to the same thickness as my hero resin TIE fighter (old style) the wings may fit the 1".

Last edited:
Well I did end up cutting the armature. It was easy enough. Took about 15 min. I used a rotozip cutoff wheel and then sanded smooth with a belt sander. Easy peasy.

All future kits will have a cast resin armature with metal reinforcement. This should eliminate these issues.

I also suggest using a belt sander for reducing the thickness of the wing stars. This step will remove all the flash so don't try to do that first as it's not necessary. Thin the hubs first then do the short arms of the stars, then the long arms. I reduced until mine were about 2mm. This is pretty close to the screen models.

I'm going to do a photo tutorial for the hero wing assembly soon. I've been snapping pix and will try to assemble the info into a step by step.

Dave :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back