Studio Scale Tie Fighter Build - Nice'N Model Designs

Success! I was able to get one of the flashing LEDs attached to both of the "blaster" (super bright) LEDs to create a pulsating effect.

Surprisingly, none of the TIE Fighters in ANH have lit up blasters, but when Vader's ship tries to blast Luke's X-Wing there's a nice close up of the pulsating, white lights on the model. I don't know if this was a post-production effect or the real deal. I like to think they were real LEDs, though. :)

In any case, I decided to use the same pulsating, white lights for my TIE as seen on the Advanced TIE.

View of the new set up:
IMG_1343.JPG
Flasing off:
IMG_1345.JPG
Flashing on:
IMG_1346.JPG
Flashing LEDs movie:

Last edited:
All the hobby stores were complete out of Tamiya Semi-gloss, so I used Krylon Satin. The finish isn't as smooth as Tamiya, but the TIE panels aren't smooth, so I think it worked out. After waiting 7 days for the paint to completely dry, I've started the long and painful process of taping off the black panels. It's definitely easier than taping off the frames:
IMG_1462c.jpg

I've had some trouble in the past with basic, painters tape, so I spent the extra money on "Sharp Lines" tape by Scotch and I'm really impressed with the results:
IMG_1480.JPG

Not only that, but it was easy to remove. I'll probably use it on my next project, the SS Y-Wing.

As I was getting ready to put the wings back onto the fuselage last night, I realized that some of the grey paint had gotten between a couple of strips of painters tape. It's interesting what can or can't be seen on this model in a certain amount of light.

I sprayed some of the Krylon Satin black into a plastic cup and used a tiny brush to cover these small areas. There always seems to be some "touch up" involved with these things:
Side.JPG

Hello! How did you clear out all the resin in the ball? I have the same kit from Nice-N circa early 2000s and want to hollow it out. Any suggestions? I was thinking a dremel? Thanks!

Hello! How did you clear out all the resin in the ball? I have the same kit from Nice-N circa early 2000s and want to hollow it out. Any suggestions? I was thinking a dremel? Thanks!
I originally started with a dremel, but there's too material for such a small tool, so I used a drill press with the largest bit I had. It removed most of the resin.
I also used an end mill to flatten out the bottom, but a dremel could be used for that.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back